For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Topbox
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Next turn indicator feet to yards

Post by Topbox »

Hello all,

I ve had a few problems with my 595 and in trying to solve them I reset the device.

I think my main problem is the battery issue which I have since seen is well documented.

Anyway, I think resetting my device has changed the next turn indicator from yards to feet which has amplifiied my annoyance with this thing.

I've gone through the settings line by line and failed to find how to get it back to yards and I've searched the forum and failed to find rhe answer.

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
TB
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Next turn indicator feet to yards

Post by jfheath »

I have never seen an option to select feet/yards. I would have thought that it would only display feet if you are very close to the turn point - but I cannot say that I have noticed the units that it uses.

There is the option to switch between miles and kilometers in Settings -> Units and Time -> Units. But that isn't what you were asking for.

Check what maps you have ticked. Typically, when resetting a device, all of the maps that are available on the Zumo are ticked, and if you have two navigable maps that cover the same area and both of them are ticked, then this can cause all sorts of issues. I have OSM maps for the UK on my device as well as the Garmin supplied CN Europe NTU maps. I nearly always forget to untick the OSM maps after I have done a system reset, until it starts behaving oddly.

Foursquare and DEM are not navigable maps, and the Europe maps come in two parts, All North, All south. It is OK to have all of these ticked - 4 in total for the current version of maps 30 July 2022. Parkopedia (x1) & Topoactive (x3) are also installed on my XT - so that is another 4. I don't have them installed on my 595. I can't remember if that is because they cannot be installed, or because I have chosen not to.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Topbox
Great Britain

Post by Topbox »

Thanks for your comment.

Once you get closer than 0.1 miles it changes, now to feet.

My 595 has the four maps you mention.

Looks like I'm going to have to adjust. (1) not that easy at my age (2) another reason to throw this thing in the skip, pity I cant afford to
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The 595 and the 590 are 2 of the most advanced units that you can get from Zumo. The 590 being the better of the two in my opinion. I have a 590, but the software for the 595 works with it, so I keep changing it back and forth. The 595 introduced some odd behaviour, which was unfortunately carried over to the XT. It is very easy to predict how the 590 will behave.

The dull screen is very dull - now that the XT has come out with the new one, but at maximum brightness it is perfectly readable. The duff battery is an issue, but when plugged into a charger - which is how I use mine, I can use it all day long. Ditto on the bike. In fact, I have reinstated the bulky Z590 cable and mounting point on my bike for the day that I hurl my XT back at Garmin.

Where abouts in west Yorkshire are you ?

viewtopic.php?t=521

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Topbox
Great Britain

Post by Topbox »

thanks for your message.

I believe that you have sent me this information previously, but I dont think it covers the ft or yards conundrum. However, after going over it again I have discovered that when my 595 is plugged into my PC I can Right click internal storage and then select transfer settings then choose the measurement setting. Within measurement setting there are some option i) Mi, MPH, ft (ii) Metric Km, KPH, m (iii) Nautical Imperial (iv) Nautical metric.

So I've found the Imperial units uncluding ft but no option to yds which is a big puzzle as to how it was displaying this before.

I have to offer my compliments on your document and its depth much of which is too much for me, eg the talk of shaping points they sound useful but can I figure out where they are or how to create one, no I cant. So I will have to carry on using Basecamp my way for now.

One of the most infuriating things about the 595 for me compared to my 660 is that my 660 would predictably list and sort routes exactly as they are listed on basecamp. My 595 just lists them in any random order it chooses. This is a complete pain in the arse on tour when i have 3/4 pages of routes to scroll thru to find the right one (as I had on this years trip to Nordkapp). With my 660 they were sorted numerically or alphabetically and you worked your way through them in sequence, no such luck with the 595.

Also, programming the 600 as a stand alone unit was a lot easier than the 595.

Sorry for the rant but I am completely undewhelmed the 595. If only my 660 would accept the whole of Europe instead making me select a country or region these days.

thanks again for your support.

Regards
TB

PS I'm in Leeds
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You should be able to install the full map to your 660, see https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=W ... UbK9WunKa7
Topbox
Great Britain

Post by Topbox »

sussamb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:10 am You should be able to install the full map to your 660, see https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=W ... UbK9WunKa7
Its worked.

Well done, your a genius. I'm really happy now.

God knows why Garmin couldn't have given me this link when I was exchanging emails with them to solve the problem.

TB
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Quick answers to two questions

Via & Shaping points. In basecamp open up the route properties box (double click the name of the route or the route itself). Shaping points are the light grey ones that say 'won't alert'. Right click on one or select more than one and right click. You can change them to alert (via point) or not alert (shaping point). Yell out if you need further explanation.

To get the 595 (and the 590 and the XT) to arrange by date order, set a date for the first point in each route. Double click the first point in the route list, and you can set the date and time of departure.

Topbox
Great Britain

Post by Topbox »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:42 pm Quick answers to two questions

Via & Shaping points. In basecamp open up the route properties box (double click the name of the route or the route itself). Shaping points are the light grey ones that say 'won't alert'. Right click on one or select more than one and right click. You can change them to alert (via point) or not alert (shaping point). Yell out if you need further explanation.

To get the 595 (and the 590 and the XT) to arrange by date order, set a date for the first point in each route. Double click the first point in the route list, and you can set the date and time of departure.
Excellent. I beginning to warm towards the 595.

TB