Won't accept full post codes!

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Won't accept full post codes!

Post by sprint »

Got the replacement 346 LM today and have been trying to set some test routes.

Having an immediate problem as it won't accept full postcodes, which I find a bit surprising?

Trying to install TN21 0LS which I can enter in full together with the house No but it continues to truncate it to TN21 0 when planning the route which takes you to a house 1/2 mile away? The house is on the main road so it does not have a street name and it also will not allow you to enter the road No as the street. If I try to put in the full address it simply does not recognise it.

Go to Google maps put in the full postcode or address and it take it straight to the address. This is madness that a Sat Nav can't accept full postcodes and/or does not recognise addresses. Is this how they are or is this specific to Garmin or are TomTom's the same?

Would appreciate some advice as if it can't find postcodes and addresses what use is it?

Thanks

Andy
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Won't accept full post codes!

Post by rbentnail »

Have you updated the replacement? My 595LM was about a year behind when I got it.

Not accepting post codes is not too common here in "The Colonies" but specific addresses can be dicey. I always tell people to use the coordinates I give them, Garmin can't get you to my house by address. Perhaps it can be done that way if you can find it on Google?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

All Garmin gps accept full post codes. Is that a new adress that isn't perhaps in the database?

Edit: Just checked and it works for me. Do you have full UK map coverage?
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies.

New 346 LM with the latest updates, Software Version: 3.10, Map: Western Europe 2019.10 so that should be the full UK as well?

With reference to the attached the unit seems to allow and recognise the full post code, see the full postcode in the top bar. (attachments have loaded in reverse order)

Full code entered. Then it ask for the house No, which is entered. However, once that is done it truncates the postcode to TN21 0 and the location is as shown with the chequered flag. However, this is totally wrong and the correct location is shown by the flag to the left.

What ever full post code I enter whilst it seem to recognise it by the code in the bar at the top of the screen when it finally calculates the route it loses the last two digits.

This is not a new address a the property has been there since the 1930's and as indicated Google maps take you straight there either with postcode or address.

Sussamb you have indicated that you are able to fully load the code and it takes you to the correct location? How does that compare to the details in my attachments?
Attachments
P1040716.JPG
P1040716.JPG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
P1040715.JPG
P1040715.JPG (36.84 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
P1040714.JPG
P1040714.JPG (36.2 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
P1040713.JPG
P1040713.JPG (39.69 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
P1040712.JPG
P1040712.JPG (45.21 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Have you tried the postcode without the space between the two half's?

My car sat nav doesn't like the space not sure on the zumo as I never use postcode!
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Hi,
I put the postcode into my 346 ( without any space between the two parts ) and it showed this as the destination.
Obviously, I didn't put a house number.

https://ibb.co/g6663U
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yep, I get the same. Without the house number it can't be checked accurately.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies

Something very strange going on here!

With or without the space between the postcode if you omit the house No it takes you to the correct place?

Bit of a learning curve here with this unit.

Thanks for all the help

Andy