Faster time vs. Shorter distance

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: Faster time vs. Shorter distance

Post by jfheath »

@Peobody - observations for shortest route are purely from the 590/595. I tried it, didn't like it and have decided it doesn't do what I want. My conclusion was that faster time is easier to predict. But that conclusion is probably not valid for the XT.

I do what @Fxwheels does, and I can live with how the XT behaves. The problems come when I deviate from my plotted route.

Regarding reloading a route.

A route can be in on of 4 state

1 In Basecamp, not yet transferred to the XT
2 Transferred to internal storage of the XT, (temp.gpx), not yet imported into the XT
3 Imported into the XT. Not yet loaded and run (by pressing Go)
4 Currently loaded and running. ie an active route.

Routes transferred from Basecamp are perfectly safe in temp.gox. You can delete a route from the XT and re-import it to get the original. BUT - if you did a later transfer from BC having disconnected the USB cable in the meantime, then temp.gpx gets overwritten, so all previous routes transferred to the XT will have been lost.

I had noticed that if you edit the active route, while it is still running, it also alters the imported route. I dont think that happened on the 590/595. but I may be mistaken. What that means is that if the active route gets changed, then simply stopping the route and reloading it didn't get you back to your original. You had to delete it and re-import it. And at that point you discover that a route is no longer there to import again, because temp.gpx was overwritten.

At least that is what I previously documented. I have just retested it to make sure. That behaviour seems to have been fixed.

Now if you edit an active route, it DOESN'T alter the imported version. That behaviour has changed for the good.
A second copy will be added to the saved routes if you import it again.
You can delete a route from the XT and reimport it - providing temp.gpx hasn't been overwritten by a subsequent transfer.

I reported this issue along with a load of other stuff about a year ago, so its good to see that they have sorted it out. I hadn't noticed.
I need to find what I wrote before, double check that it is now wrong, and correct it.

The issue with temp.gpx being overwritten remains. I think it always will. I think that it has to do with the use if media transfer protocol, and it may also have been present on the 590. The problem may be that with media transfer, you cannot open a file to append to it or to edit it. You can only write a new file or replace an old one. I used to have my 590 In mass storage mode, showing drive letters so that I could see the system files and hidden files, so if the problem existed on the 590, I wouldn't have noticed it.

The safest way is to transfer everything from Basecamp - not necessarily in one operation, you can do it a few routes at a time, providing you don't disconnect the usb cable.
Or to place the gpx files into the XT GPX folder, or to transfer a gpx file by email and drive - which saves using usb at all, or transfer to sd card. (Small issues with waypoints / favourites / saved locations not being found - easily fixed on the XT)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:22 am Now if you edit an active route, it DOESN'T alter the imported version. That behaviour has changed for the good.
This is the important part for me. I believe it also applies to recalcs so I think my new normal when I skip a WP will be to zoom out, compare the new route to the track, then reload the route if deviations are significant.
Fxwheels wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:29 am
Now, if it is a real need to stop the route and restart it without using the "closest entry", and no close by via points, I'll count number of the shaping points and convert the one that near to me into a via poin to start with. C'est la vie.
This is a good suggestion. Thanks @Fxwheels.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:55 pm
jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:22 am Now if you edit an active route, it DOESN'T alter the imported version. That behaviour has changed for the good.
This is the important part for me. I believe it also applies to recalcs so I think my new normal when I skip a WP will be to zoom out, compare the new route to the track, then reload the route if deviations are significant.
Just want to make sure you understood what I meant in my quoted bit.

If I go to trip planner while I have a route running, I can edit the 'active route'. Previously when I did this and made a mess of it, I stopped the route and re-loaded it. But I found that had been altered as well. All I could do was delete it and reimport it. Now it seems that edits only affect the active route. you can stop it and reload it without having to import. So it seems.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:20 pm If I go to trip planner while I have a route running, I can edit the 'active route'. Previously when I did this and made a mess of it, I stopped the route and re-loaded it. But I found that had been altered as well. All I could do was delete it and reimport it. Now it seems that edits only affect the active route. you can stop it and reload it without having to import. So it seems.
Does whether or not a recalc changes the original remain in question?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:43 pm
jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:20 pm If I go to trip planner while I have a route running, I can edit the 'active route'. Previously when I did this and made a mess of it, I stopped the route and re-loaded it. But I found that had been altered as well. All I could do was delete it and reimport it. Now it seems that edits only affect the active route. you can stop it and reload it without having to import. So it seems.
Does whether or not a recalc changes the original remain in question?
I can confirm that recalcs whilst on a route do not affect the imported route

I have just got back from a trip and had all sorts of recalcs that destroyed the active route so had to reload and chose CEP to get going again mid route
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:11 pm I can confirm that recalcs whilst on a route do not affect the imported route

I have just got back from a trip and had all sorts of recalcs that destroyed the active route so had to reload and chose CEP to get going again mid route
Thanks Stu. That is what I thought I had experienced but wasn't 100% sure.