Step by step demo how to use RTWTool to remove the ‘glitches’ from a route.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 121 times
Netherlands

Step by step demo how to use RTWTool to remove the ‘glitches’ from a route.

Post by FrankB »

Here’s a step by step demo how to use RTWTool to remove the ‘glitches’ from a route.

1) Download and install the tool from: https://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html

2) I have created a route from the townhall Boekel to townhall Veghel with 2 shaping points.
a. Shape_001 has been placed deliberately OFF the road. (as in: not on the road)
b. In addition Shape_002 has been placed near a sideway. (This will cause a U-Turn)
00_Route.jpg
00_Route.jpg (247.53 KiB) Viewed 758 times
01_shapingpoints.jpg
01_shapingpoints.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 758 times
3) Export the route to a GPX file from within Basecamp

4) Open the RTWTool and check the settings.
02_Settings RTWTool.jpg
02_Settings RTWTool.jpg (68.56 KiB) Viewed 758 times
5) Click on Open and choose the file from step 3.
Set the parameters of RTWTool.
a. Export to Garmin (gpx/gdb)
b. Routes(1)
i. Export as Routes
ii. No modifications. (Note: the ‘unglitch’ in the settings will still be applied)
03_Open_RTWTool.jpg
03_Open_RTWTool.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 758 times
6) Click on Convert, and choose the output file name.
04_Convert_RTWTool.jpg
04_Convert_RTWTool.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 758 times
7) Import the newly created GPX in Basecamp.
a. You can opt to delete the route in Basecamp first (shift/delete) to prevent appending ‘1’ to route names etc.
b. I always recalculate the route before sending it to the Zumo, but I’m not sure if that’s really necessary.
05_Route_Rtw.jpg
05_Route_Rtw.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Conclusions:
The 2 shaping points have been moved precisely ‘on the road’, and renamed to ‘xxx_g’.
In this demo there were no via points (Alerting), but the program will also correct those.
Obviously it can not correct Shape_002, so that it will not cause a U-Turn. The program has no way of knowing that the shaping point was put on the ‘wrong road’. If you really meant the point to be on that road, it should have been a Via point (Alerting).
Background, why is this important:
Not placing the shaping points on the road, or placing them in such a way that they cause U-Turns, can result in ‘weird routes’ when you select Closest Entry Point (CEP) on the Zumo. Sometimes skipping a lot of shaping points. Thanks to @JFHeath for testing!

Javawa tools: (https://www.javawa.nl/)
This site is primarily Dutch, but has some translations in English. You can find a lot of goodies there. It’s a pitty that the tools are no longer maintained. But the program RTWTool still does a good job in Windows 10, and has an online version: https://www.javawa.nl/unglitcher.html. The online version is only available in Dutch, but just click on ‘Kies Bestand’ (Choose file) and the rest is self-explanatory.
06_Online RTWTool.jpg
06_Online RTWTool.jpg (121.31 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Attachments
Demo RTWTool.gpx
(27.78 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Demo RTWTool.docx
(13.6 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Step by step demo how to use RTWTool to remove the ‘glitches’ from a route.

Post by sussamb »

Easier simply to zoom in to any points in BaseCamp and ensure they are correctly placed :D
rbentnail
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I was gonna say....

If you're going to import/export/whatever to/from Base Camp, why not just use the editing tools in Base Camp? This is how I create my routes- I pick a start and a destination. Then I use insert, move and erase tools to shape the route the way I want it to be. Then using the 'Center Of Map' box, place the points exactly where I want them to be.
Screenshot (22).png
Screenshot (22).png (947.97 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
FrankB
Been liked: 121 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I'm familiar with the Basecamp tools. And yes if it were only 2 shaping points it would be easier to use them. But suppose you're planning a 4 days trip and each trip has about 50 shaping points?
2 side notes:
1) When you move a point with the 'move tool' it will not snap (or should I say lock?) to the road like the insert tool does. So moving a point requires greater skills, compared to inserting a point!
2) If you load a route that was created with another map, say Open Street Map, or an older version of City Navigator, and recalculate, it is not uncommon for points to get located off the road. Because on the new map the road can be placed differently.
rbentnail
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm planning a 5 day trip now with at least 30 points in each days' route. Base camp is fine for what I need, I've never used other map apps b/c I don't get all the extra work. Importing, exporting, blah blah. I make the map and transfer it to my device. Done. I also don't get the "requires greater skill" thing. With "Center of Map" selected, it's nothing but easy to move a point to exactly where it needs to be.

But hey, to each his own! We all have different needs & expectations and certainly being on different continents makes a difference in mapping simplicity. If your process is reliable and repeatable and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post that @FrankB .

Ive never used RTWtool, nor have I seen it. So its useful to see it in action.

Personally I stick with Basecamp. The ability to automatically Zoom in very close on each route point in the trip list simply by tapping the cursor down key quickly reveals any misplaced points. This is the 'Center Map' option at the bottom of the route list that @rbentnail mentioned.

If you have ever superimposed a route from one mapping program onto another, you will notice how many little differences there are regarding exactly where a road is positioned. For this reason I use Basecamp maps.

And yes - aways recalculate your routes in Basecamp. It is so easy to pick up a route that you created last year before your most recent map updates. Basecamp still sends all of the route information, not just the route points, so it starts off with exactly your original route. (Although the XT may recalculate it at some point)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.