Will custom POIs appear in "Up ahead" function?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Re: Will custom POIs appear in "Up ahead" function?

Post by Peobody »

wiscocyclist wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:50 pm Hit the Blue button at the top and change to "My active route"
"Custom POI's" (I have mine moved to the top of the list)
Select the POI you wish to search on
I didn't know about this feature. Will the POIs be listed by proximity? Can one be added to active route?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:15 pm
wiscocyclist wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:50 pm Hit the Blue button at the top and change to "My active route"
"Custom POI's" (I have mine moved to the top of the list)
Select the POI you wish to search on
I didn't know about this feature. Will the POIs be listed by proximity? Can one be added to active route?
Yes.. they will be listed in order of distance. Yes, you can add one to the active route. Note that I've had issues adding *anything* to the active route, but usually have a ton of via points in my route which seem to cause problems. Plan on using all waypoints instead of shaping points on the next trip.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:15 pm I didn't know about this feature. Will the POIs be listed by proximity? Can one be added to active route?
I personally think this works better than "Up ahead" for gas stations and such. If I recall correctly, it looks 1/2 mile off to either side of your route whereas up ahead does it a bit differently (I'm not sure how to be honest), I feel like I get better results searching that way.

The older garmin Navs did not have "Up Ahead" so if you wanted to find something along the route that was the only way to do it.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

wiscocyclist wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:26 pm Plan on using all waypoints instead of shaping points on the next trip.
I came to that conclusion prior to me last trip.
wiscocyclist wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:26 pm I personally think this works better than "Up ahead" for gas stations and such.
This makes me want to go for a ride just to check it out. A heat index of +100 degrees is a strong deterrent though. I'll try your suggestion in simulator mode just out of curiosity.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Wow! Using the "Where to" does indeed appears to be a better option than "Up Ahead". Thank @wiscocyclist for posting about this. Up Ahead has the advantage of displaying the three most used categories rather than having to scroll through a list of categories. I there a way to manipulate the order of the categories in Where To > Categories to get the commonly used ones to the top?
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 pm Wow! Using the "Where to" does indeed appears to be a better option than "Up Ahead". Thank @wiscocyclist for posting about this. Up Ahead has the advantage of displaying the three most used categories rather than having to scroll through a list of categories. I there a way to manipulate the order of the categories in Where To > Categories to get the commonly used ones to the top?
No.. that's not editable. However, you have one or two categories that you use alot you can add them as a specifc "Where to" Shortcut to allow quicker access. To do this go to Where to/Add Shorcut/Pick your shortcut. After that you can edit them on the main Where To screen to put them on the top. For instance in my case, I have a shortcut for Gas Stations and Custom POI's on my main Where to screen. Sadly you cannot add a specific Custom POI to the Where to screen.
Last edited by wiscocyclist on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Awesome! Thank you! How best to set this up will take some thought.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I've not yet had much opportunity to travel with my XT. One of my frustrations with the 590/595 was that in looking for a gas station, "Where To" produced many results well off my route or behind me.

Does "Up Ahead" restrict results to locations that are actually along the untravelled portion of the route?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:17 pm I've not yet had much opportunity to travel with my XT. One of my frustrations with the 590/595 was that in looking for a gas station, "Where To" produced many results well off my route or behind me.
The trick is the trick is to tap the blue button (top left) and then select "My Active Route" in order for it to produce results along your route.
lkraus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:17 pm Does "Up Ahead" restrict results to locations that are actually along the untravelled portion of the route?
Yes, listed in proximity order. I have used the "Up Ahead" feature extensively, both for restaurants and gas stations. I have never seen the clutter of flags on the map that others have mentioned. A drawback is that you really can't tell where a location actually is. The display lists name, distance to it, and whether it is on left or right you don't have a clue how for off the route it is. I have only tested the Where To in simulation mode but its map button appears like it will let you see the actual location although I am not sure about that because it is indeed cluttered with flags so appears that the level of concentrate needed to figure it out may require more than I care to commit while on the move. I will have to try it. I think you will need to do the same in order to figure out which one works best for you.

Edit: Worthy of note here is that the Up Ahead feature displays results from the Foursquare database. Those results are often terribly inaccurate proximity wise. Oddly, Foursquare data is not displayed when using Where To.