Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Post by sussamb »

Late to the party but let me add a few things.

temp.gpx, indeed any .gpx files you place in the GPX folder on your device, is merged with current.gpx when your device reboots and a new current.gpx written into the GPX folder.

current.gpx is simply a one way copy of what is in inaccessible to the user internal memory. Once the new current.gpx is written temp.gpx can be deleted

The TripPlanner app can handle up to 200 routes.
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

I am very worried. I'm going on a road trip next week. I have created 9 routes with many WPs. I hope everything work well. How many WPs can I import?
Another question; I created the routes with the 2022.1 maps with Basecamp. Last week I installed the new 2023.1 update. With Basecamp I recalculated everything. All right?
Thank
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

There's a limit of, i think, 25 real(!) Waypoints per Route - including Start- and End-Point. If you use more, than the route will be splitted while importing it!

No need to use many 'real' Waypoints - they must be(!) arrived and you'll get troubles, if you put one or more mistakenly not exact on the road! You're only be able to skip a real waypoint with the 'Skip Waypoint' feature, driving by such a misplaced waypoint will force you to get back to it!

If the alarm isn't necessary, use the 'normal' shaping points, which Basecamp creates - some of them also could be with alarm, so check them before you transfer the route (double click the route and see in the list, if one or more of them isn't grey! The shaping points are commented with 'no Alarm'.

I only use waypoints with alarm, to remind me of filling up gas or so...

The used maps should always be the same on Basecamp and on the Zumo XT. Recalculating the created routes with 2023.10 before putting them on the Zumo XT is necessary, if the Zumo XT also has 2023.10 on it! Beware, that no one(!) of the options in Basecamp under 'Options/Unit Transfer' should be activated, when transferring the routes to the Zumo XT
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

The maps on Basecamp and XT are the same. I recalculated them on BC with the latest version. There are not many WPs for each route.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 am
Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 am My upcoming 14 day trip is planned in 14 routes. I'm just trying to make my life a little easy by having them all imported so I can just select the appropriate one each morning and hit Start. On my last long trip I loaded the routes on the SD card and imported each one as needed. That worked fine but the list order of the route available for import didn't make any sense so having them all imported before I depart seems like it should be easier.
"Having them all imported" and importing them all at the same time are not the same thing.
It important to get them all imported immediately rather than having them sit in temp.gpx where they could potentially be deleted should the need arise to modify one in BC and resend it. The XT allows "Select all" in the import function so should be capable of processing "all". It appears to process them one at a time.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:31 am The maps on Basecamp and XT are the same. I recalculated them on BC with the latest version. There are not many WPs for each route.
Raf, I think you will be OK. The important thing of making sure routing WPs are positioned exactly on a road has been mentioned.

I apologize if I created unnecessary concern. When I see things occur that I don't understand I push for understanding. This doesn't mean there is a problem. This discussion is a good example of that. My XT didn't import some routes that way I thought it should have and I started asking questions and digging for an explanation. I eventually attempted an import a second time and that worked. I could have just done that and not said a word.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I figured out what caused the import process to fail to import some routes. When the XT goes to sleep, processing is stopped. I have tried to match the XT profile to that of Basecamp but every route is going through a "Calculating" process during import. This is a timely process. Screen touches were required to keep it awake. Another oversite by Garmin developers; logical for a low battery condition but that wasn't the case for me.

Now I just wish I could figure out why every import goes through this calculation process. My next step is to load track and compare them to the routes.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Rofor wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:16 am There's a limit of, i think, 25 real(!) Waypoints per Route - including Start- and End-Point. If you use more, than the route will be splitted while importing it!

No need to use many 'real' Waypoints - they must be(!) arrived and you'll get troubles, if you put one or more mistakenly not exact on the road! You're only be able to skip a real waypoint with the 'Skip Waypoint' feature, driving by such a misplaced waypoint will force you to get back to it!

If the alarm isn't necessary, use the 'normal' shaping points, which Basecamp creates - some of them also could be with alarm, so check them before you transfer the route (double click the route and see in the list, if one or more of them isn't grey! The shaping points are commented with 'no Alarm'.

I only use waypoints with alarm, to remind me of filling up gas or so...

The used maps should always be the same on Basecamp and on the Zumo XT. Recalculating the created routes with 2023.10 before putting them on the Zumo XT is necessary, if the Zumo XT also has 2023.10 on it! Beware, that no one(!) of the options in Basecamp under 'Options/Unit Transfer' should be activated, when transferring the routes to the Zumo XT
A Waypoint is a point that has been created (perhaps by using the Basecamp Flag tool) and saved, prior to creating a route. Any waypoint can be added to a route and used as a shaping point or as a via point. A waypoint is simply a location that has been saved ready to be used in a route.

I think that you are maybe confusing Waypoints with Via Points. I cant work out what you mean by 'real waypoint'.

There is no limit on waypoints that I am aware of. You can make all of your route points as waypoints (created with the Basecamp Flag Tool). They will all end up in Favourites / Saved. You can then set them all to be not alerting - so they are shaping points as well as being waypoints.

The limit is on the number of Via Points in a trip excluding start and end. That limit is 29. Create a route with 30 + start and finish, and it will split it into a route of 29 + start and false finish and a route of 1 + false finish as a start and real finish.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:52 pm I figured out what caused the import process to fail to import some routes. When the XT goes to sleep, processing is stopped. I have tried to match the XT profile to that of Basecamp but every route is going through a "Calculating" process during import. This is a timely process. Screen touches were required to keep it awake. Another oversite by Garmin developers; logical for a low battery condition but that wasn't the case for me.

Now I just wish I could figure out why every import goes through this calculation process. My next step is to load track and compare them to the routes.
This is not correct behaviour. If you have problems due to the XT timing out, plug the USB cable into a power source so that it remains powered. Watch the screen - it will tell you that in 20 seconds it will enter file transfer mode. Cancel that and it will just keep the XT powered up.

But your routes should not be recalculating.

These have come from Basecamp (yes) ?
In BAsecamp, click Edit / Options / Device Transfer.

Tell me which boxes you have ticked in that window.

(You should have none ticked, and then select Apply to all devices).

Let me know

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:57 pm This is not correct behaviour. If you have problems due to the XT timing out, plug the USB cable into a power source so that it remains powered. Watch the screen - it will tell you that in 20 seconds it will enter file transfer mode. Cancel that and it will just keep the XT powered up.
IMHO, the XT should not timeout when it is busy calculating unless it encounters a low battery condition.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:57 pm But your routes should not be recalculating.

These have come from Basecamp (yes) ?
In BAsecamp, click Edit / Options / Device Transfer.

Tell me which boxes you have ticked in that window.

(You should have none ticked, and then select Apply to all devices).

Let me know
Yes, the routes are from Basecamp.
None of the device transfer options are ticked.