Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Post by Peobody »

I just transferred 14 routes to the internal storage of my XT. I then fired it up and did an Import > Select all. Four of the routes did not import. Does that indicate that internal storage is full? Where do I look to see the status of available internal storage?

I am going to place a copy of all these routes on the SD card so this is not a panic situation.

Edit: I just looked at internal storage with a file explorer it shows 14.7 GB of available space. File explorer also shows the fourteen GPX files but Trip Planner on the XT only lists 10. Is that a limitation of Trip Planner?

Edit 2: I'm more confused now. The current.gpx file contains the 10 that I can see in Trip Planner. It is as if temp.gpx was extracted into the 14 .gpx file but since only 10 of them were imported, that is all I see in current.gpx. Is that how it works?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Post by jfheath »

I came across this situation before, and found out the reason for it.
And if I could remember what it was that caused it, I bet that would be really helpful !!!

But some Issues that might cause this (while I go away to find this previous post)
  • You disconnected the USB cable after transmitting the first four, and then reconnected and transmitted the remaining 10.
    In this case, temp.gpx gets overwritten when routes are transmitted after reconnecting the usb cable. Previous routes are lost.
  • 4 of the routes, although different, had the same name as other routes. This can happen if say you decide to make an alternative to a previous route by adding or removing a few route points. Part of the transfer process ignores duplicate route names when transferred to internal storage.

Yes - here you are - on a 396. I think that it was to do with a suspicion that the Zumo only using the first n characters of the given name to distinguish it from other routes. Read the posts in the link.

viewtopic.php?p=11898&hilit=import#p11898

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The 4 routes that were not imported were listed as available for import. A re-import of them worked. One of them took an exceptionally long time to calculate compared to all of the others. So, here are my remaining questions:
  • Why would one route take a dramatically longer time to calculate on import? Most of the routes are 300 to 350 miles long with anywhere from 12 to 17 Waypoints (no ad-hoc shaping points).
  • Does drag & drop of routes to internal storage from within Basecamp result in individual .gpx files in internal storage?
  • Is the temp.gpx file only used by the Basecamp "Send to" function?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 pm Why would one route take a dramatically longer time to calculate on import? Most of the routes are 300 to 350 miles long with anywhere from 12 to 17 Waypoints (no ad-hoc shaping points).
The route itself shouldn't need to calculate on import unless :
the map used to create the route is different from the map on the Zumo;
the settings in Basecamp edit/options cause recalculation to take place;
the vehicle or routing preferences have altered since the route was transferred.

Do you have other maps on you zumo apart from the normal ones - eg OSM maps.

Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 pm Does drag & drop of routes to internal storage from within Basecamp result in individual .gpx files in internal storage?
I don't believe so, I have tried all normal methods of transferring routes from Basecamp to Internal Storage and not noticed any difference between them.
But any method where Basecamp creates a separate gpx file does not go through temp.gpx. Neither does transferring to SD card.
Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 pm Is the temp.gpx file only used by the Basecamp "Send to" function?
Right click / Send to
Device / Send to
Drag and drop

all seem to use temp.gpx when transferring routes to internal storage.

Routes are not automatically imported when transferred to internal storage if you use any if the 3 methods above.
I have seen situations when a route has been imported without me having to do it manually. In most cases, newly transferred routes produce a prompt on the Zumo screen asking if you want to import them.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

A lot of this doesn't correspond with what I experienced. I have a dinner to head out to so will study this when I get home and add comments about what I observed.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:15 pm The route itself shouldn't need to calculate on import unless :
the map used to create the route is different from the map on the Zumo;
the settings in Basecamp edit/options cause recalculation to take place;
the vehicle or routing preferences have altered since the route was transferred.

Do you have other maps on you zumo apart from the normal ones - eg OSM maps.
None of the above apply except that I was allowing Ferries on the XT but not in Basecamp. That must have been enough to trigger a calculation of every route on import. Now that I have really compared the route options in the two it is really confusing trying to get them to match.
jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:15 pm
Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 pm Does drag & drop of routes to internal storage from within Basecamp result in individual .gpx files in internal storage?
I don't believe so, I have tried all normal methods and not noticed any difference from Basecamp to Internal Storage.
But any methods where Basecamp creates a separate gpx file does not go through temp.gpx. Neither does transferring to SD card.
I don't know what you mean by "any methods where Basecamp creates a separate gpx file". I am certain that the 14 .gpx files on internal storage were the result of a drag and drop within Basecamp. The time stamps coincide with that action. I can't duplicate it tonight though. Every drag and drop test I have done has gone into temp.gpx. Does anything come to mind that I might have done that resulted in the individual .gpx files?

I plan to start fresh in the morning. I will delete all routes and saved waypoints on the XT, delete the 14 gpx files, and start again.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm going back to you original question, "does that mean internal memory is full?" No, I think you are asking the device to do too much all at the same time and confusing it. Why in the world do you NEED to import 14 routes all at once? Now you know the limit is nearer 10. These aren't elite NASA computing machines, using the KISS method is most certainly the best way to go.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My upcoming 14 day trip is planned in 14 routes. I'm just trying to make my life a little easy by having them all imported so I can just select the appropriate one each morning and hit Start. On my last long trip I loaded the routes on the SD card and imported each one as needed. That worked fine but the list order of the route available for import didn't make any sense so having them all imported before I depart seems like it should be easier.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Adding the date to the first Via Point (start point) of each route will ensure that the list of routes is shown in date order. This can be done by selecting the start point from the trip list in Basecamp.

You can get separate gpx files if you export the route to a gpx file and put the file into the gpx folder; if you share a route using Bluetooth between Zumos; if you send a route which involves using the Drive Alp eg by email or by using the Explore App.

Using Basecamp to transfer routes creates separate gpx files if they are sent to SD card.When I load my 590 wuth the 595 software, that does the same thing when routes are transferred to internal storage. I've not noticed this happening on the XT though.

Another thought in routes calculating on transfer or on import. You must make sure that Basecamp recalculates the route befor transfer, if the route has been created before you last updated your maps. All routes will show the 'Calculating' message briefly - a few seconds. It doesn't mean that the route is being calculated. The Zumo has to pick out the Waypoints in the gpx file and store them in Saved/Favourites amongst other things. A route recalculation takes much longer - say more than 20 seconds, depending in the length of the route.

rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 am My upcoming 14 day trip is planned in 14 routes. I'm just trying to make my life a little easy by having them all imported so I can just select the appropriate one each morning and hit Start. On my last long trip I loaded the routes on the SD card and imported each one as needed. That worked fine but the list order of the route available for import didn't make any sense so having them all imported before I depart seems like it should be easier.
"Having them all imported" and importing them all at the same time are not the same thing.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A