Pairing

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
musomaniac

Pairing

Post by musomaniac »

I have the garmin zumo 660lm and I'm trying to pair it with a set of Anker Liberty Neo earbuds

The garmin finds the earbuds, but keeps saying passkey incorrect, does anyone know if these earbuds and the garmin are compatible

I've tried the normal pairing passkey such as 1234 and 0000 but same message just keeps popping up
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Pairing

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum !

Have you tried locating the manual pairing information on line ?

https://manuals.plus/anker/anker-soundc ... al#pairing

Have you tried pairing the 660 with any other device. I never used BT with the 660, so I cannot remember how it is done. You might need to find the connectivity menu, enable bluetooth and then request that it searches.

Beyond that, I'll have to bow to experience of anyone that still uses these devices. (Actually, out of all of the Zumos I have owned, the 660 is the one that I regret not keeping !).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

I have the manual and it's states 1234 for the passkey but as I say it doesn't work
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:54 am Welcome to the forum !

Have you tried locating the manual pairing information on line ?

https://manuals.plus/anker/anker-soundc ... al#pairing

Have you tried pairing the 660 with any other device. I never used BT with the 660, so I cannot remember how it is done. You might need to find the connectivity menu, enable bluetooth and then request that it searches.

Beyond that, I'll have to bow to experience of anyone that still uses these devices. (Actually, out of all of the Zumos I have owned, the 660 is the one that I regret not keeping !).
Yes I have paired the garmin with my phone and a FreedCon motorcycle communication device, and I already have the manual for both the garmin and anker earbuds
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

This is what comes up on the screen
Attachments
IMG20220526125434.jpg
IMG20220526125434.jpg (225.08 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
IMG20220526125443.jpg
IMG20220526125443.jpg (225.35 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The link to the manual that I found doesn't mention a passkey. I have a BT headset which doesn't use a passkey, so that is likely.

In that case, maybe your earbuds are already paired with something else, so the Zumo cannot pair with it. You may need to reset the earbuds, turn off any other equipment that you may have already paired with them (so they cannot re-pair), and perform the reset function which is described in the manual. Get the Zumo ready to pair and then ask the earbuds to pair. It needs to find the Zumo before it can find anything else.

After that, I am stumped.

But I have to go through a similar procedure if I use my BT headset with anything else. It is difficult to break the connection it has with another device, if that device is turned on when I am trying to get it to pair with my Zumo.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:48 pm The link to the manual that I found doesn't mention a passkey. I have a BT headset which doesn't use a passkey, so that is likely.

In that case, maybe your earbuds are already paired with something else, so the Zumo cannot pair with it. You may need to reset the earbuds, turn off any other equipment that you may have already paired with them (so they cannot re-pair), and perform the reset function which is described in the manual. Get the Zumo ready to pair and then ask the earbuds to pair. It needs to find the Zumo before it can find anything else.

After that, I am stumped.

But I have to go through a similar procedure if I use my BT headset with anything else. It is difficult to break the connection it has with another device, if that device is turned on when I am trying to get it to pair with my Zumo.
Thanks for your help, I tried turning off my phone which the buds were connected to, but no joy, same thing occurs, I ended up phoning Anker support, and he said he's never been asked that question before, and thinks that the earbuds are incompatible with the Garmin

Maybe the Garmin is too old and operates on a different protocol, I've no idea
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

From your photo, it looks to me like you are trying to pair the earbuds as a "Phone" using the "Add" function. Won't work. Have you tried using "Change" in the "Audio" BT pairing menu?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Zumo User 100

Post by Zumo User 100 »

Any progress? Similar problem here.

I had LG Tone Free HBS-FN7 with Bluetooth version 5.0 and it worked with Zumo 660.(musomaniac: same version as your headset so definitely your case cannot be because Bluetooth 5.0 would not work with the Zumo)

That headset had to be replaced by warranty with newer LG TONE Free FP8W. It uses Bluetooth 5.2. This FP8W does not connect to Zumo - it asks for the PIN code which does not exist for the headset.

LG support said (unlike all other resources I have checked online) that Bluetooth is not always backwards compatible. I inquired if the device has a hidden "manual pairing mode" or some other trick but they said no. I also asked if they will fix this with a firmware update but there was not response to that.

I contacted Garmin support several times but they keep repeating the obvious about having latest software, remove pairings, reset devices, try pin 1234 etc (tried all tricks several times, and even pin codes such as 1111, 2222, 3333 and so on).

Any guess what is behind it and how to fix it? Could be it be on LG's firmware side?

Or is 5.2 suddenly and secretly really not backward compatible with the old stuff?

Or can it be about Garmin firmware (which I doubt based on the statement that Bluetooth versions are all backwards compatible)?