Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Duplicate routes shown in Basecamp on my replacement XT

Post by Peobody »

Hi All. When I look at the routes in internal storage on my replacement XT Basecamp shows numerous duplicate routes. I don't see those duplicates when looking in Trip Planner on the XT so can't delete them. I looked at the file structure of the GPX directory on the XT and see the expected Current.gpx file but there is also a GarminExpressImport.gpx. I believe the Current.gpx file contains the routes I sent to the XT from Basecamp. Where did GarminExpressImport.gpx come from? It is date stamped the day I first connected the XT to Express but I wasn't prompted for any sort of import procedure. Is this file the cause of the duplicates? If so, should I delete it?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Duplicate routes shown in Basecamp on my replacement XT

Post by sussamb »

You can delete every file in the GPX folder, even current.gpx

Your actual data is stored in inaccessible to the user internal memory.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:45 am You can delete every file in the GPX folder, even current.gpx

Your actual data is stored in inaccessible to the user internal memory.
That is surprising. Both the Current.gpx and CurrentTrackLog.gpx files were gone after deleting all trips and waypoints from the XT using its interface. Only the GarminExpressImport.gpx file remained. What purpose do the files in the GPX folder serve?

BTW, deleting the GarminExpressImport.gpx file with a file explorer removed the duplicate trips that Basecamp was showing in the XT internal storage.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

They serve 2 main purposes. Current.gpx is read by BaseCamp. Any other .gpx file is read by the device on boot up, merged with what is in the inaccessible memory and then a new current.gpx is written into the GPX folder.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I did some testing and figured it out. Basecamp reads all files in the \GPX directory on the XT. It will show what is in Current.gpx, and the routes in any other gpx files that exist. I started with an empty Current.gpx file. I then copied a route .gpx file to the \GPX directory on the XT and then started Basecamp. Basecamp only showed the copied route. I then disconnected the XT from the PC and started it up. I was not prompted to import the route but is was available for import via the wrench tool. I imported it then reconnected the XT to the PC. Now Basecamp shows that route twice in the internal storage of the XT.

Oddly, the first time I had the XT connected to Basecamp it listed the routes in Temp.gpx as being in internal storage. The second time it didn't but they were still available for import. The only thing that happened between the two connections was that I started the XT and answered NO to the "Do you want to import" prompt.

The takeaway from this is if you copy a .gpx file to the \GPX directory on the XT, be sure to delete that file once you import its route. The XT appears to flag it as imported (it isn't available listed as available to import anymore) but Basecamp still sees it as well as the imported one.

I am still curious how and why the GarminExpressImport.gpx file got there.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp will as it reads all the .gpx files in the GPX folder.

No idea about the Express file unless it's as a result of using Express to move Favourites etc from one device to another, never used that myself as I do it manually.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Post the gpx file @Peobody - or pm me with it if you don't want to post it. I'll tell you what is in it.
@sussamb's suggestion is a good one. The XT will read any gpx files in that folder. Sharing routes, emailing routes via Drive, RMA software all put files in there, so it seems a likely suggestion.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:27 am Post the gpx file @Peobody - or pm me with it if you don't want to post it. I'll tell you what is in it.
No need. Based on the duplicate routes listed by Basecamp as being the XT I could tell they were the routes that were on the old device. It appears that Express restored to the new XT the routes that were on the old XT in the form of this file. The how's and why's remain a mystery.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Express has an option in the Tools menu to automatically backup up your "Favorites" before performing updates. "Favorites" is used differently than it is on the XT, as the backup includes routes and tracks.

But as far as I know, you must manually choose to Restore a backup.
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

@ Peobody
Have you solved the problem? Have you replaced your Zumo?
Then:
Check in EDIT – Options-Device Transfer.
See if the drive ID is the same as your new Zumo XT.
I hope I understood your problem well