Zumo XT not recognizing it's on the cradle

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Re: Zumo XT not recognizing it's on the cradle

Post by Richard_R »

So the same dealer fitted the original GPS and the replacement GPS and you have issues with both and you are blaming the GPS without checking the dealers work? I'm not saying that the dealer's workmanship is faulty or that the issue is not with the Garmin but unless you properly check the entire installation you are not fully investigating the problem.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

First thing to check is polarity of the wiring from the cradle to the battery. If it is reversed, you won't get power to the cradle. It must be connected correctly to the battery.
CeeBeeA
Great Britain

Post by CeeBeeA »

I thought I'd explained in my previous reply.... "After a thorough check-over of the wiring I concluded the problem could only lie with the XT itself" ?? The wiring has been checked and rechecked by the dealer, another Triumph dealer and by me from end to end !! Not sure what other checks I can do ?

The Zumo receives power and switches on normally when the engine is started and switches off when the engine is stopped so no 'polarity' issues that I can think of. The problem lies when the unit loses the power connection after an unspecified time, sometimes within the first hour or sometimes after riding for several hours. There is no pattern to the failure and no obvious physical causes such as riding on rough terrain etc. It can happen after a day on smooth fast roads. The screen simply goes dull (brightness is reduced to 30%) and is almost invisible in bright daylight. After a further 15-30 mins the screen switches off as the internal battery is then flat.

The solution is to stop, switch off the engine, switch off the Zumo using the button on the back, dismount the Zumo then remount it, finally switch the engine on again. Everything then returns to normal for another unspecified time. Very occasionally when the engine is switched off the Zumo does not recognise any power change and stays on. The only way to turn it off is to press the rear button.

So the wiring has been completely replaced and checked a couple of times, the mounts have been replaced with new ones. The Zumo has been replaced with a new one and still the problem persists. It's got to be the connection between the mount and the rear contacts on the Zumo surely ?

Going to try the foam piece behind the block with the pins as a possible solution. Meanwhile I'm refitting my faithful old Zumo 660 for this years summer trip to Spain & Portugal.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

CeeBeeA wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:21 am The screen simply goes dull (brightness is reduced to 30%) and is almost invisible in bright daylight. After a further 15-30 mins the screen switches off as the internal battery is then flat.
This is NOT the normal behavior when the Zumo XT is losing external power!

When the Zumo XT is losing external power, you should get a big warning on the screen, that the unit has no external power, will check for updates and then switch to standby. This message can be interrupted and the Zumo XT can be forced to use the internal battery...

If the above quote is right, then i think that there is something wrong with the power supply - you should check, even when the Zumo XT turns on automatically, if there is the flash in the battery symbol on the Zumo XT, which is signalling external power! Maybe he gets too less power - enough, to turn the unit on, but not enough to work properly. My Zumo XT is connected also to a switched power on my Tiger 800 XRx (2016) - maybe you have a newer Triumph with a complete canbus-system and that causes troubles?

I really can't believe, that two sets of cables and two complete Zumo XTs are having the same fault.

You should check carefully the pins of the power lead and also make the check of the pins with a slice of paper, as i described a few posts above - and, to be sure, you should also make the 'piece-of-foam' trick, which i also described in this post....
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Connect the power lead of the cradle direct to the battery.
Ride the bike as normal
See if the problem persists (I doubt that it does)
This will eliminate the Zumo and the Power connection as the possible source of the problem.
My guess is that it is a Triumph issue in the Switched Power supply line that you are using and not related to the Garmin product at all.
TonyB1964
Has liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by TonyB1964 »

Hi guys. I too have just bought the XT and after spending a couple of hours removing the 2020 DL1000 bike panels, sourcing a suitable switched live and cable route, and then refitting everything, the XT fails to connect once mounted. I did a check before refitting everything and it powered up nicely so I carried on singing "happy days"! After all that, and on fitting the XT to its cradle ready to for its first ride, I had the "power lost and looking for upates" message. Strange I thought. So I dismounted it and reconnected it. ...... nothing. What the f ..... lipping heck I thought. So I spent the next hour messing around with the cradle hot mount. Nothing .... checked the pins with a meter .... all good. As to rule out any issues with canbus or switched live issues I went straight to the battery this time. Mounted the XT and made contact .... happy days. Getting late in the day now but I decided to go out for that first nav ride. Guess what .... by the time I put my lid on, connection lost again. Grrrrrr .... tried all the obvious but it wont have it. £350 spent and wishing I'd stuck with TomTom. I have obviously looked through the issues here so if any Garmin staff are perusing through this forum .... I have lost the faith in your product before our relationship has even begun. I bought the XT 3 weeks ago, I got around to fitting it yesterday so quite literally, after just one day I've lost the will already. Why should I or anyone have to mess around with trying bits of tape/foam/packing in order to try and make a connection work from a high end and very expensive product which has alledgedly been designed and produced by the "best". Garmin have already been sent an email regarding this issue and from what I can see ..... this is a major problem. I wonder if I have been sold a problematic unit? I mention this because for many months, I have been monitoring prices and it was around the £429 price point. Suddenly, it dropped to £349 so I thought bargain! Or was it and have Garmin realised the issue and updated the whole unit selling off the old units cheaper?? Any ideas anyone??
TonyB1964
Has liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by TonyB1964 »

Added to my post .... I have obviously stripped and checked and rechecked that I had assembled the backing mount correctly with all the spacers/washers etc in the correct order. Frustrating!!
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

TonyB1964 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:06 am Added to my post .... I have obviously stripped and checked and rechecked that I had assembled the backing mount correctly with all the spacers/washers etc in the correct order. Frustrating!!
TonyB1964 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:02 am Hi guys. I too have just bought the XT and after spending a couple of hours removing the 2020 DL1000 bike panels, sourcing a suitable switched live and cable route, and then refitting everything, the XT fails to connect once mounted. I did a check before refitting everything and it powered up nicely so I carried on singing "happy days"! After all that, and on fitting the XT to its cradle ready to for its first ride, I had the "power lost and looking for upates" message. Strange I thought. So I dismounted it and reconnected it. ...... nothing. What the f ..... lipping heck I thought. So I spent the next hour messing around with the cradle hot mount. Nothing .... checked the pins with a meter .... all good. As to rule out any issues with canbus or switched live issues I went straight to the battery this time. Mounted the XT and made contact .... happy days. Getting late in the day now but I decided to go out for that first nav ride. Guess what .... by the time I put my lid on, connection lost again. Grrrrrr .... tried all the obvious but it wont have it. £350 spent and wishing I'd stuck with TomTom. I have obviously looked through the issues here so if any Garmin staff are perusing through this forum .... I have lost the faith in your product before our relationship has even begun. I bought the XT 3 weeks ago, I got around to fitting it yesterday so quite literally, after just one day I've lost the will already. Why should I or anyone have to mess around with trying bits of tape/foam/packing in order to try and make a connection work from a high end and very expensive product which has alledgedly been designed and produced by the "best". Garmin have already been sent an email regarding this issue and from what I can see ..... this is a major problem. I wonder if I have been sold a problematic unit? I mention this because for many months, I have been monitoring prices and it was around the £429 price point. Suddenly, it dropped to £349 so I thought bargain! Or was it and have Garmin realised the issue and updated the whole unit selling off the old units cheaper?? Any ideas anyone??
Posts like these make me glad that I've not yet splashed out on a new XT. So many queries and problems with the latest offering from Garmin mean I'll be sticking with my trusty 660 for a while yet.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Despite my few issues, I love the XT more than any other Garmin product I have owned, although my Garmin descent Mk2i dive watch is also exceedingly good!!

Gary
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I haven't experienced the problem so don't think I can contribute anything that will help. When I first read about I took mine apart just to see what I could see. Sure enough, there is a design flaw that allows the bottom of the cable to move back slightly but noticeably when observing how for the pins protrude. I added a piece of closed cell foam weather stripping per suggestions here and that appears to prevent the cable movement.

FWIW, based on the photos posted by Rofor I have the new cradle but the old cable.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.