Basecamp - Using the "Divide" command

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Basecamp - Using the "Divide" command

Post by Raf »

Good Morning!!
I searched in the great tutorial " Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything That You Need to Know" but I did not find what I was looking .
I am planning a 7 day trip. One of the routes is circular. In order not to have problems with the Zumo XT I tried to divide it into 2 routes using the "Divide" function.I clicked on a route WP and got 2 routes, A and B.
The wp I chose to divide has these characteristics
Rote A it is " Arrive " and ("wont'allert"). Why ?
Route B it is "depart point" and ("wont'allert"). Why ?
Another thing that is not clear to me. When you use "Divide" on WP there is an alert window " Do you want the routes to share the waypoint "......." ?
Yes ,No"

Which is the right choice?
There are many things I didn't understand using the divide function
Thank
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp - Using the "Divide" command

Post by sussamb »

First your last question. It really depends. If you're not planning to move that point in one of the routes it doesn't matter. However if you do then you don't want them sharing the point as when you move it in one route it'll move in the other.

As for alert/do not alert I've never noticed that, but a simple recalculation should change it, if not just right click the point and change it.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:44 am if not just right click the point and change it.
It does not allow it. There is no possibility.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I'd never tried the "Divide" function, so I've just given it a go, sharing the waypoint. The original route now ends at the waypoint, and a new route starts at the waypoint to complete the original route. No change to the alerts. So I'm afraid I can't help!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:47 am The wp I chose to divide has these characteristics
Rote A it is " Arrive " and ("wont'allert"). Why ?
Route B it is "depart point" and ("wont'allert"). Why ?
This makes sense to me unless I am misunderstanding the questions. When you divide a route, the selected waypoint becomes the destination for the first part (Route A) and beginning point for the second part (Route B). It gets identified as such by "Arrive" in Route A and "Depart" in Route B. It is normal for beginning and ending points to not have the "Don't Alert" option.
Raf wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:47 am Another thing that is not clear to me. When you use "Divide" on WP there is an alert window " Do you want the routes to share the waypoint "......." ?
Yes ,No"
sussamb is correct. When you select "Yes", both routes use the same point. When you select "No", a duplicate point is be created as the beginning point for Route B. Its name will be suffixed with a "1". The default option is "Yes" which I think would be the correct choice most of the time. Selecting "No" would be appropriate if you know that you will be changing the starting point in Route B and don't need to include routing directions between the ending point in Route A and the starting point in Route B, or if there is the potential that you could move that point in either route as sussamb mentioned.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Thank you all.
I did a new test, now everything is OK and I understood everything
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

All routes must start and end with a Via Point. So you cannot change them to Shaping Points.

In Basecamp, if you re-order the route points so that a Shaping Point is moved to the top or to the bottom, it becomes a Via Point - alerting. It doesn't do this immediately, but if you recalculate the route it will change it.

None of these have to be Waypoints if you don't want them to be.
Here is another example of Garmin not using their own terminology. It asks if you want the divided to route to share the Waypoint at which you divide the route - even if the point is not a WayPoint.

(Another error in terminology is at the top of the same table, where the heading states 'Via Points' - even though many of the points in the route will be Shaping Points. I assume that Basecamp was developed from Mapsources when the distinction between Via and Shaping points was not defined like it is now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.