Zumo 550 route displaying as a track?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Motormike
United States of America

Zumo 550 route displaying as a track?

Post by Motormike »

Trying to save an old Zumo 550. Problem started when I tried to use SD "clone" map update method. To make a long story short, I've finally gotten it to work as far as the map update is concerned, but it still has a problem. When I load a new route into the 550 from basecamp, I get the message "route is too long..." (Never seen that before, even with longer routes) and the route seems to pull up as a track. No turn-by-turn information at all, just a directional arrow in the lower right hand corner. Direction consist of only things like, Go East, go West, etc. Basically useless information on the road. Can't for the life of me figure out what I screwed up. I suspect I've inadvertently deleted a file or mis-named one during my "clone" update attempt. Any ideas?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 550 route displaying as a track?

Post by sussamb »

What map, if any, shows as selected on the device? The only reason I can think of that would give an issue like this is either the CN map isn't selected or it is along with another map covering the same area.
Motormike
United States of America

Post by Motormike »

It shows: (checked) CN North America NT 2019.20 & [1} Canada

Thats the most current map I have without paying Garmin $50! While I have a 2022 map on Basecamp, when I try to install it onto the Zumo, I get a "no unlocked maps found for this device" or some such cryptic message.

When I ask the Zumo for directions to a POI, like a gas station or my home, it gives me normal turn-by-turn directions. It's only when I try to use a saved route that it only gives me track information (go north, south, etc.)
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Motormike wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:30 pm It shows: (checked) CN North America NT 2019.20 & [1} Canada

Thats the most current map I have without paying Garmin $50! While I have a 2022 map on Basecamp, when I try to install it onto the Zumo, I get a "no unlocked maps found for this device" or some such cryptic message.
Garmin has the digital file sharing problem solved. Every map is linked to a device serial number. If the serial number doesn't have an unlock code associated with it, then the map won't work on the device. If you attempted to load a map that you didn't have "rights" to, you might have wiped out the map that was associated with the 550 serial number. I'm just guessing here. I have a 550 with lifetime maps. I usually skip two or three map updates, but it does allow me to load updated maps every year or so when I go through the effort. Amount of map changes hardly make it worth it.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Motormike
United States of America

Post by Motormike »

While I agree map changes are rare, they do change. For example, roundabouts are becoming more and more popular in the states, It's nice when your GPS can display the correct type of intersection! POI's can change often... I've pulled up to many a gas station only to find an empty building.