Transfer routes from Basecamp to 396

CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Transfer routes from Basecamp to 396

Post by CollingsBob »

I’ve always transferred routes from Basecamp to my 396 using “Device, Send to Device”..
Is there a better way?

I’d also like to transfer my routes to a sd card as a backup, in case the garmin crashes..
Certified JB Welder
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Transfer routes from Basecamp to 396

Post by rbentnail »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:43 pm I’ve always transferred routes from Basecamp to my 396 using “Device, Send to Device”..
Is there a better way?
I don't know if it's "better" but I never use the "Device/Send to Device" command. I highlight the routes I want to transfer then drag & drop them where I want them to go. For me that will be "Memory Card/User Data" (that's the SD card in my device) but could just as easily be Internal Storage.

I prefer using the SD card so I can import a route, run it, then delete it, then import it again a month from now without having to transfer it again. If you use Internal Storage, when you delete a route you completely and totally remove it form the device so if you want to use that route again then you have to re-transfer it again. A lot of folks don't get doing this as they believe in never riding the same route twice but for me, where I live, I always have new folks buying bikes or visitors coming to check out the riding or new folks moving in so why wouldn't I re-ride a route to enjoy with a newbie? I've done this twice in the past month with a fellow FJR-er new to the area. He thoroughly enjoyed the mountainous south-central Virginia ride I took him on.

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:43 pm I’d also like to transfer my routes to a sd card as a backup, in case the garmin crashes..
Couple different ways to go here, noting that if the SD card is mounted in your device, I have never transferred routes to both Internal Storage and the SD card.

- If the SD card is in your device, when you plug into your computer with Base Camp running you should see both "Internal Storage" and "Memory Card/User Data". The latter is your SD card. I drag & drop routes to it as described above.

- if the SD card is not in your device you'll have to connect it to your computer via a slot or an adapter. Then, in Base Camp highlight what you want to export. Then using File/Export/Export Selection command, copy the highlighted files onto your SD card.

- In My Computer/Documents, I created a folder named "Base Camp Routes and Points". Then, in Base Camp I highlight what I want to export. Then using File/Export/Export Selection command, I copy the highlighted files into this folder in Documents. This makes it easier to share via internet as I can easily upload a route file into my DropBox account and provide a link for all to use. I've done it this way many times for forums. Even attaching a file in a post here is much easier when you have it saved in Documents.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

Thankyou..last night I carefully confirmed that each day was correctly labelled, then I uploaded the routes to the Garmin by drag & drop…

Just waiting for Amazon to deliver a GoPro battery charger, then I can close up the suitcases..I finally leave for Scotland tomorrow after 2+ years of Covid delay..
Certified JB Welder
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I remember when you starting planning for this! I'm glad you're finally getting to go. Bring some pics, eh.

I was supposed to get to Scotland. That was about a lifetime ago. In the US Navy, I was a submarine volunteer and got to pick what boat to be on. I chose the James Madison simply b/c it operated out of Holy Loch, Scotland. Well, before I got there the home port was changed to King's Bay, Georgia so instead of Ye Olde World I got to see giant white striped mosquitos, Georgia swamp and alligators.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A