Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Post by sussamb »

My original comment still stands. The transfer from BaseCamp to your device, whether to the sd card or your device, won't work if you try to transfer one route at a time as each time you send one route it will overwrite the previous one. You either need to send them all at once or rename temp.gpx each time before sending the next one.

Everytime BaseCamp sends data to your device it sends it as a file named temp.gpx regardless of anything else you do, so sending one lot of data after another will simply result in only the last lot of data being available.
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

@ sussamb
Ok! this is clear to me.
But I would like to send to the microsd. It's the same ? These are the steps: Basecamp - Microsd - Internal Storage.
Every day of the trip I transfer the route and its WP that interest me on that day.
Anyway I would transfer all my data in a single USB "session", without disconnecting it between transfers.

@ Peobody
There are many WPs not included in the route. Places I might or may not visit

sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, exactly the same, send to the card in one go.
danham
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Raf, your method should work just fine. You might also consider renaming the files for this trip with one or more spaces at the beginning of the name. That way they will show up first in the XT import menu when you import them from the SD card. My opinion is it's a good idea to have them on the SD card because that way if they get corrupted by a recalculation, it is easy to reload the original file.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 am Every day of the trip I transfer the route and its WP that interest me on that day.

There are many WPs not included in the route. Places I might or may not visit
These comments are what confuse me. I understand transferring routes and other WPs that may be of interest to the XT's SD card but what is the value of importing a route and other WPs? Won't the XT require you to select a WP destination which it will then route to, and then do the same for the next WP? Am I missing a method by which you can import a route and then add WPs to it within the XT? Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the ultimate goal.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

@ Peobody
Let me give you an example.
I have the Chicago-Santa Monica route, its name is 02 Chicago-Santa Monica with its VP,SP and WP route. After Denver I put a WP off the route ,WP 02 Winter Park ,34 miles away from the route.
When I start I don't know if I will stop.
Well!! I start and I arrive after Denver and decide to go to Winter Park. I stop and choose a new route,directly with my Zumo, with destination the WP Winter Park.
After the visit I return on route 02 Chicago-Santa Monica
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

So, you aren't adding Winter Park to your 02 Chicago-Santa Monica route like you might add a gas station or restaurant using the "up ahead" function. Instead you are creating a new route to the Winter Park waypoint and then starting the 02 Chicago-Santa Monica route and joining it either at the closest point or next waypoint. That makes sense, and from that viewpoint, I can understand the challenge of locating a potential waypoint in the XT that is along the current route but not part of the route.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

@ Peobody
Yessss!!

I would like to ask you another question:
Can I send everything to Zumo ( internal Storage) i transfer all my data in a single USB "session", without disconnecting it between transfers , and also to microsd ?
To have a copy of everything .For security
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When you transfer routes to the SD card they are available to be imported on the XT. That import copies them to internal storage so I guess there wouldn't be any harm in copying them to both places. The routes copied to internal storage would just sit in temp.gpx until they were imported. I don't know how waypoints are handled when they are on the SD card though.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:21 am My original comment still stands. The transfer from BaseCamp ... to the sd card ... won't work if you try to transfer one route at a time as each time you send one route it will overwrite the previous one.
This part of your statement is absolutely false.

I just tested it yet again with Base Camp and my XT. I have 2 routes previously stored on the SD card but not imported. I used 2 different methods to put additional routes on that same SD card:

A) Highlight route(s), Device/Send To Device/Send Selection To Device/Memory Card/OK. My original 2 routes are still there plus I have additional routes; or

B) Highlight routes. Using the drag & drop method I copy the routes from Base Camp to Zumo XT/Memory Card/User Data. All of the routes previously stored on the SD card are still there plus the new ones I just put there.

Now each route can be imported for use then deleted from Internal Storage on the device and still remain on the card for future use or deleted from the card via Base Camp. This is what I believe the OP is asking- can he put routes "in" the XT, import & use use Day1 then delete, import & use Day2 then delete, etc. Yes he can, using the SD card. And he can add more routes to the card during his trip without loss of any data.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A