Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Duplicate maps on my XT

Post by Peobody »

Last night I checked for updates on my XT. It said there was a map update so I approved it for install. I then connected the XT to my PC and fired up Express to install the map. I looked in Manage Maps to see what was new and saw that no City Navigator map was installed. Instead there was one listed (no version number included) that I eventually figured out that I needed to select and then click "Apply Changes". I don't remember ever having to do that. Anyways, after an hour the map was installed. I then installed the map to the PC. After that was done I fired up Basecamp and saw CN NA NT 2023.1 which is the map that I thought I already had. It was late so I called it a night. A few minutes ago I fired up Basecamp with the device connected and it shows two CN NA NT 2023.1 maps on the device. See screenshot below. How do I deal with this? Garmin Express only shows one.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Duplicate maps on my XT

Post by simoncrewe »

I think something is not quite right. The XT uses City Navigator NTU type maps. 'NT' is used by older Garmin GPS models. I have an old Montana 600 and that uses NT type maps.
Have you an older Garmin GPS, its looks as if you may have managed to put the old type maps on it?

I have just checked my XT & it definitely has City Navigator NTU maps installed. It may be worth speaking to support.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

They are definitely NT maps, always have been. I figured out how to fix the problem but don't understand why the XT thought there was a map update when the same version was already installed. Regardless, what I figured out i that after performing the update I went into Garmin Express > Manage Maps and saw the map was not ticked so I thought it was not installed. I ticked it and let it install but that resulted in two copies of it on the XT. Unticking it removed a copy. Interestingly, when looking at the map files on the XT with a file explorer, the copy was 347,000 KB larger than the first one which was installed in February. I don't understand how Garmin thinks it is ok that their "Manage Map" function does not show the default installed map. In fact, I can't find anywhere in GE or on the XT that shows the map version. I only see it in Basecamp when the device is connected.
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Luckily for me Garmin resolved the issue where you could not download maps to your PC (windows 10). It took them weeks, but I think they updated Express & it resolved the issue. I can definitely see the maps & their type via windows explorer, and in my case they are NTU.

Have you got the maps on your PC as well as the XT?

It might be worth speaking to support to confirm which map type you should have on the XT. I am in Europe, I can't imagine US maps would be different.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Garmin does not use NTU maps for North America. My understanding is that the "U" indicates Unicode, which supports many alphabets. The multiple languages of Europe make this necessary. For Canada, U.S. and Central America the basic Latin-1 characters are adequate.
See http://www.poi-factory.com/node/47944

If I had duplicate maps, I think I'd try running Express again and use Map Details>Options>Reinstall Map to see if that would clear up the issue.

FWIW, Express just now showed my XT had updates available for my 6.40 software and my NT NA 2023.1 map even though they were already installed weeks ago. I let it "update", but there was no apparent difference, and no map duplication on the XT.
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

That makes complete sense - thank you.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:16 pm If I had duplicate maps, I think I'd try running Express again and use Map Details>Options>Reinstall Map to see if that would clear up the issue.
The problem was that the Manage Maps function in GE makes it appear that CN NA map is not installed. If you tick it and the "Apply Changes" you end up with a duplicate. Oddly, the .img file of the duplicate was approx 357 MB larger than the other one. Also, now, on the last two starts of the XT, it has displayed a notification that the map has been updated. If that continues I may just go ahead and do a map reinstall to see if that stops it.
Below is a screenshot of the Manage Maps screen. Noticeably missing is an indication that a City Navigator maps is installed. Someone please confirm that you see this as well.
Also, the City Navigator map is not listed in map details in of Express. Should it be? Viewing a route while sitting at my dining room table seems to work as expected.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

This what I see in Express. In the left screen, clicking Map Details takes me to the middle screen, where a click on Options under CNNT NA lets me Reinstall Map. Manage Maps (right screen) has a check mark in the box, which I do not see in your picture.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When I first started trying to figure out why I had been prompted about a map update the CN NA NT 2023.1 map was unchecked in My Maps in Express. I checked it which triggered a map installation. That map ended up being a duplicate of the CN NA NT 2023.1 map already on the XT.

When I go into myMaps on the XT I see the CN NA NT 2023.1 map along with Central and North America TopoActive maps.

In summary:
- My Maps in Express shows the CN NA NT 2023.1 map as uninstalled (unchecked).
- myMaps on the XT shows it as installed.
- Basecamp sees the CN NA NT 2023.1 map on the XT when the XT is connected.

So, why does Express not see the CN NA NT 2023.1 map as installed on the XT when both the XT and Basecamp do?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

When this has happened in other devices it's because GarminDevice.xml hasn't updated correctly. That file is in the Garmin folder on your device. Try deleting it then reboot your device, that recreates the .xml file. See if that helps.