Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Basecamp

Post by Scarecrow »

Just out of interest What maps should be showing in the map dropdown box in basecamp
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp

Post by electro_handyman »

Well, that depends on whether or not you have a gps attached to the computer.

With NO gps unit attached, the drop down list should only show maps that are installed locally to the computer.

With a gps unit attached, the drop down list will show maps available to basecamp, installed local on computer and maps available from the gps unit(if gps supports this feature).

NOTE, some gps units may not allow you to see/select the map(via the drop down list) on the gps when connected.
Scarecrow
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

OK so with no GPS all I see Is CN EU 2022.20 AND Global is this right.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

If that is all you have installed local, then yes.
There is the variable of what gps you have, some units have more options than others.
I have all the topo maps from my XT, that I previously didn't have with my 2820 and 550, so it varies.
You will likely have different mapsets for EU than what we have for USA.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Scarecrow wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:06 pm OK so with no GPS all I see Is CN EU 2022.20 AND Global is this right.
That would be normal if all you've installed to your PC is the CN EU map
Scarecrow
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

Thanks All now sorted I was looking for All north and All South on Pc when they shouldn't be there. :oops:
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

I have been loading maps from Freizeitkarte.de on my SD Card via the computer and using MapInstaller (C/ProgramData/Garmin/Maps)(ignore the forward slashes). All has been well until I loaded more than 17 maps. I can no longer see the "older" installed maps in the dropdown. They are on the card in the Zumo but do not show on BaseCamp. Are only 17 visible at one time? Is there a way around this?
Thanks
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The limit isn't the number of maps but the number of map tiles those maps contain. Each map consists of many map tiles and all devices are limited to a maximum number, not sure what it is on the XT but its generally in the low thousands.

You either need to reduce the number of maps loaded or find a way to reduce the number of map tiles if you can find a program that will combine map tiles in a map.
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

OK, thank you for the response and help.
All the maps are on my SD (in the Zumo), is there a way of selecting which ones would be displayed on BaseCamp for planning purposes? Or, how would I "re-install" the ones I want to have displayed since they are already installed on the computer (in the aforementioned file for installation) and on the SD?
Thanks again.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Unfortunately not. Once over the map tiles limit one or more maps won't display. You can't choose which, or if you can I've never seen any information on it.

One thing you could do is use JaVaWa's GMTK program. This will allow you to see all the maps installed on your PC. It's possible that some of the maps installed on your PC aren't set to show in BaseCamp, some 3rd party maps don't have the appropriate flag set. GMTK allows you to correct that.