Base camp crashes on recalculating

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
westaur

Base camp crashes on recalculating

Post by westaur »

Hi. New on here so firstly hello

Each time I try recalculating a route basecamp crashes and asks me to restart but then crashes again when recalculating. The Mac is up to date, I have uninstalled and reinstalled basecamp but no difference

Thanks
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Base camp crashes on recalculating

Post by jfheath »

Hello and welcome !

I cannot help with the Mac version, but it may be your maps that are the issue if it does it when recalculating.
Check which map is selected. Try a different one.
Try a very simple route eg 2 points with the route tool.

That is me done with clutching at straws - but it's where I would look first. Then I'd create a brand new database to eliminate that as a possibility.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
westaur

Post by westaur »

Hi

I have tried all suggestions and this is what I have found. I use MyRoute App to create the route and very easy. If it is straightforward A to B then I open the route in Basecamp which shows as straight lines, click recalculate and it works absolutely fine and shows the correct route.
If I create a round route which consists of lots of waypoints ( around 80 for a trip of 100 miles and entered automatically by My Route App) then when recalculating this, is when I get the crash and Basecamp closed unexpectedly and then reopens
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

westaur wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:00 pm Hi

I have tried all suggestions and this is what I have found. I use MyRoute App to create the route and very easy. If it is straightforward A to B then I open the route in Basecamp which shows as straight lines, click recalculate and it works absolutely fine and shows the correct route.
If I create a round route which consists of lots of waypoints ( around 80 for a trip of 100 miles and entered automatically by My Route App) then when recalculating this, is when I get the crash and Basecamp closed unexpectedly and then reopens
Ok - Now I am getting a better picture of what might be happening.
But first - we both need to be aware that Garmin and MyRouteApp do not talk quite the same language.

My Route App's use of the term 'Waypoint' seems to relate to any point that you place on the map to help form the route. In MRA, these can be made into Via Points (Hand icon, stopping places) or Shaping Points (Tear Drop Icon). These terms have been created to match the terms used by the Garmin Zumos (XT, 590, 595 and 39x series).

Garmin uses the term Waypoint very differently. In Garmin Speak, a Waypoint is a point that has been created and saved - something that can be used in a route at some point in the future, and which may contain additional information such as address, telelphone number, website info.
Waypoints exists whether or not they are used as part of a route. (This is a bit like RMA's Points of Interest - but not entirely).

When included in a route, a Garmin Waypoint becomes an integral part of that route, and it is added to the Zumos list of Favourites (or Saved locations). As far as the route is concerned it becomes either a Via Point or a Shaping Point. It is up to you to decide which.

--------

MRA recommend using gpx v1.1 (Route, Track, POI) for the Zumos. This file format contains tow items.

A Trip - which lists the route points in the order in which they must be vsitied. It does not describe which roads these points must be used to link these points together, however. It leaves it up to the Zumo to calculate the route to be used. This is why, when Basecamp recieves the file from MRA, you get a magenta line which is a series of straight lines joing up the route points in the correct order. Basecamp and the Zumo are quite capable of doing this, but they will each likely come up with 3 different ways of joining up the dots. In other words - what you see in RMA is not necessarily what you will get in the Zumo.

A Track. This will contain hundreds (thousands) of track points which describe the way that RMA has joined up the dots. When this is sent BAsecamp it will initially plot this as a dark grey line - and this will follow exactly the same roads that RMA calculated. well, more or less. For them to be identical the roads on the RMA map have to be plotted in exaclty the same position as the roads plotted on the Garmin maps. RMA Gold does offer the HERE maps, which we are told are the ones used by Garmin. But you can often get a track produced by one program and display it on the map used by different software and although they are close, there can be a small offset between them of a few metres.

Generally speaking - the Route that is created by the Zumo from the points in the Trip will be shown as a Magenta line. When you deviate fromt eh route, if you allow the Zumo to recalculate, it will find another way to get you to the next route point in the Trip. This is a useful feature which is ruined if you add to many route points (via points or shaping points). It stops the Zumo from being able to calculate a better way.

Also, generally speaking the Zumos cannot naviagate a track (but see the bit about the XT below). These are useful because the Zumo can not recalculate a track. But you can show the track on the map and can use it to navigate by eye. You can also display the track on the map at the same time as the route is displayed. This can be very useful because if the route is recalculated, you can see that the track and the route are taking different directions and you can decide which one to follow.

The XT made changes to that - it will navigate a track. And it can give turn by turn directions if you wish. And if you deviate from it, it will find a way to get you to the closest point of the original track.

Now to answer your question.

MRA's circular route feature seems to be a recent addition. It does not produce a route at all. It has no Via Points, no Shaping Points and no Waypoints. The only options are to create tracks and that has only Track Points. I have produced a 200 mile round trip and the gpx file contained over 4,000 track points. That is an average of 20 track points per mile or about 1 point every 80 metres. It might be stretching the computing capacity / memory of Basecamp or the Zumo to convert that to a route - particularly if some of those points turn out to be plotted slightly off where Basecamp maps have plotted the road.

If possible, make sure that you use HERE maps on MRA. Or better still, use Basecamp to plan your routes. It is still (as far as I know) the only bit of software that does everything thet the Zumo needs.

In fact, Basecamp managed it perfectly easily in my computer, but what I got is a route with no intermediate points at all, just a start and an end point - which are in the same location. If that was allowed to recalculate, it would find a route straight back to the end.

In this case it would be better to leave it as a track and use the XTs facility to navigate a track.

Beware though. If you deviate from a track, it will head you to the nearest point of the track to your current position. With circular tracks, (or long thin oval tracks) or even figure of 8 tracks - you could easily find yourself going down the wrong leg of your intended route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
westaur

Post by westaur »

Thanks very much, very informative. What I also found is that once the round trip has been calculated in MRA, I can only save as a track so click on edit track which then places all the points. I removed around half of them before saving as suggested and found that Basecamp then recalculates this fine