Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

How do I see all contacts in my iPhone?

Post by Peobody »

This morning I finally sat down at my kitchen table and figured out how to get phones calls working when then zumo XT was in the mix. Cardo Packtalk to iPhone always worked fine but not with the XT. Anyway, I got it working but I need help figuring out why I can only see a few of my contacts when trying to make a call with the XT. I would appreciate advice on what I need to do so that I can see all contacts.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: How do I see all contacts in my iPhone?

Post by rufasim »

This in not what you are looking for, but this is how I make a call while out on the bike. I have XT on the left handle bar, and my Iphone on the right in an x grip. I simply lean in close to the phone and ask Siri to place the call.
When I first tried it I didn't think it was going to work at 75 mph going down the highway, but I guess the windscreen on a 2015 Goldwing blocks enough noise so that Siri can here me. Well, I do have to lift the chin bar on my modular helmet.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

1 - The headset needs to be paired with the XT. Get that working first.
2 - The phone needs to be paired with the XT - not with the headset.
3 - The phone needs to have the Garmin Drive App installed in order to send data via BT. The XT will show the drive logo to confirm connection.
4 - Your phone needs to have permissions set for the drive app to show Call Logs, Contacts, Files and Media, Location, Microphone, and phone. (select as appropriate). It must also allow Notifications.
5 - In the Drive App on your phone, you can select which notifications to allow / disable (eg Alerts, Email, Messages) - whatever you allow may well pop up on the XT screen.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Affirmative to all 5 points. It took me a very long time to get everything configured correctly so that I could make and receive phone calls, at least while testing at the dining room table. During that testing is when I couldn't see all contacts on the XT. I haven't done anything with it since. Does anyone know if the contacts are being stored on the XT? If so, I may not have waited long enough for full syncing. If not, then I assume the Garmin Drive app is in the middle allowing contacts on the phone to be visible via the XT. I have my contacts grouped so perhaps that has something to do with it. I will look into whether only contacts from a specific group aren't visible.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is possible that the Drive App has stopped talking. It happens sometimes. On my Android, if I select Apps and find the Drive App, there is an option to Force Stop. Clicking that and then finding the Drive icon on the phone to reload it will nearly always work.

See if the XT is picking up other data. Send your phone a message; ask the XT to show weather or traffic; Take a look at the live cameras; play music on the XT from the phone.

It is takes a short while before contacts are loaded, but I don't have many contacts stored, so I don't have any groups on there.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - after a few tests with my XT and a Samsung Galaxy A41 Android phone

On my android, grouping contacts makes no difference.
The XT reads data from the SIM and the SD card.
The contact list seems to remain in the XT but you can only access it if the phone is connected.
The contact list seems only to refresh itself by turning Off the XT (with a long power button press) and then restarting.
(that was verified by changing a contact name. The change was picked up only after an XT restart)

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I now fully suspect that I simply didn't allow enough time for all of the contacts to sync to the XT. At the time, I assumed the contact list being presented on the XT was being read directly from the phone. An unknown now is whether the XT will only show the contacts that are in the groups that are enabled on the phone. I suspect the answer is yes but I can confirm that on my own. Thanks for the feedback.