Basecamp question

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Basecamp question

Post by Fxwheels »

Is it possible to set global "won't alert" in the points list instead of checking one by one?
Also - when you send to device, do you send a named route or the selection? Difference?
Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp question

Post by sussamb »

Should be able to block select them using standard windows keys of shift + click and then right click the selection and change them all at once.

You can send either a single route or a selection of routes.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Thanks.
Another question is, does Basecamp knows if the high passes are closed in the winter? I'm trying to make a route in the Alps, but it's taking me around some passes.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes but go into routing options and you can switch them off should you wish
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm Yes but go into routing options and you can switch them off should you wish
Thank you.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:33 pm Is it possible to set global "won't alert" in the points list instead of checking one by one?
Yes, but you cannot change the start and end point to non-alerting shaping points - so you have to select the block from the 2nd point to the one before the end. Otherwise the option doesn't show up in the menu.

The last thing I do is to change all points to shaping, and then reinstate my few Via Points. Its always hit and miss when you insert a new point in a route whether it lands on a known point and makes it a Via or not. So I don't worry about what they are until the end.
Fxwheels wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:33 pm Also - when you send to device, do you send a named route or the selection? Difference?
Sending the named item often sends everything that is in the list - which will include any waypoints that you haven't used in your route and any tracks that you have selected.

If you select just the route, it automatically sends any saved waypoints that you have used as part of the route as well, so it is a good way of excluding waypoints that you haven't used. But not so good if you have created waypoints so that they are available to you from favourites when you are on tour - making it easy to add to a route.

Using selection gives you control over exactly what is sent. Using a folder or a list makes it easier to send everything in that folder or list.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Min
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Min »

Fxwheels wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:46 pm Thanks.
Another question is, does Basecamp knows if the high passes are closed in the winter? I'm trying to make a route in the Alps, but it's taking me around some passes.
Google maps will show blocked and closed roads but Garmin works off the maps on the GPS which are not live... the XT has a funny routing compared with the 590 and 595 extending a route by 20+ miles via towns and addition 20 minutes when a good crosscountry was available. I've compared both and puzzled they way the XT calculates. You may have to change routing to shortest route. Min G0JMS
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Shorter Route has also created some surprises. It 'seems' that 'Faster Route' heads for the more major roads and will take a large detour to get there. But that is just observation. I don't know what 'Shorter Route' does.

Note that the title is Shorter or Faster. Not 'Shortest' or 'Fastest'. The more people that raise this as an issue with Garmin, the better, I think. The 590 and 595 were quite predictable. The XT less so.

So in the meantime, the use of a few shaping points may be necessary - just as you would to stop the GPS taking a nearby motorway.

But also, as a safeguard, make a track of the route, transfer that and display it at the same time as the route.

Also - dont press skip in order to miss route points. It seems to create a much bigger issue which i won't go into here. Mainly because I think I know exactly what it is doing, I have yet to prove it beyond doubt. I have told Garmin though.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Shorter routes may take you on some dodgy "streets" especially in Europe where it can be less than 2 meters wide with sharp curves :).

And this leads me to a discussion about detours which can be unpredictable Garmin's routing.
I normally put 2 miles detour but last time I had to nix it and just followed the map in hope that the route will be open at selected re-entry location to continue with the route.
Skipping the route points can be hit or miss situation depending on if they're before or after the detour.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Fxwheels wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:58 pm And this leads me to a discussion about detours which can be unpredictable Garmin's routing.
I normally put 2 miles detour but last time I had to nix it and just followed the map in hope that the route will be open at selected re-entry location to continue with the route.
Skipping the route points can be hit or miss situation depending on if they're before or after the detour.
I tried detours on my 590 when I first got it years ago. I was less than impressed - not only the route, but the number of steps that it took to ask for one. Not just a quick glance and a quick press of a button. To be safe, it meant stopping and fiddling. I've never bothered with it since, nor have I looked to see how it works.

Skipping a route point is fairly predictable - it removes a route point from the Trip.

• Sidetrack: The Trip - I believe - is what you create in the Trip Planner. ie - a start, a series of Via/Shaping points and an end. These points have to be visited in the order that they are listed, and it is up to the XT to calculate a route between the route points. As far as I am concerned a trip is the sequence of points, a route is the magenta line that the Zumo works out (or which it accepts from BC as having been worked out already.)
    I haven't seen anything from Garmin that disagees with this use of the terms.

So when navigating a route, the Zumo knows which route point it has to visit next - and it doesn everything that it can to get you to that point.

Pressing Skip on the XT can do one of two things.
  1. It can remove the next route point from the list - whether it is a shaping point or a via point. Whichever comes next, it will remove it. And then it calculates the whole route again, using the remainign route points. Yes. The whole route.
  2. It can ask you which you want to skip - the next Via Point or the next shaping point. This is a stupid question, because there is a fair chance that you don't know which one comes next. And since the XT it usually renames its route points from the ones that you gave in Basecamp, it isn't giving a great deal of help. One of those options will remove the next point (lets say it is the shaping point that comes next) from the list - just like the example above. The other will find the next Via Point - which may be a few points further down the Trip List, and remove it. In both cases, the entire route will be recalculated to join up the remaining points.
Now if the Zumo calculated the route in the first place, then there should be no surprises - but it now has the opportunity to take into account current road works, road closures, the fact that today you have been travelling at 70mph most of the time on this type of road..... So it may come up with something different. What it should do is find the best way to get you to the next route point in the Trip list. And it does do exactly that.

But - and this is a biggy - if you have previousy pressed skip, the route has been recalculated, and if you subsequently deviate from that route, the recalculation in my tsts has been odd. Very odd. The best thing to do is to stop, retsart the route and select closest entry point, and all will be OK.

I really hope that they get this sorted out. I've told them about it. I've sent loads of screen shots as it happens. I've explained the circumstances under which it happens, and I think I have spotted why it is doing it and described why I think that.

I just have to get out and prove it (to myself really).