How to change route to adventurous or alternatives

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BrAtKo
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Slovakia

How to change route to adventurous or alternatives

Post by BrAtKo »

Hello today was my first ride with fresh mounted XT (replaced TT400). How can I change the current route I drive to adventurous mode and vice versa?

Anyway when I select Go Home there is no option to use adventurous too :( I there possibility to quickly change current route type? Fast, avoid motorway or adventurous? Is there any option to see alternative routes to current one?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=A ... l3uop2e7oA

I have only three modes under Calculation mode but no adventurous. I think that is related to other Zumo not XT. Would be great to change default routing mode to adventurous. I've had set the Windings road mode by default on tomtom and drove that way mostly.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by BrAtKo on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Honda NC750S DCT fuel consumption (122 000km from 2015y)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: How to change to adventurous or alternatives

Post by jfheath »

For Adventurous Routing

You have to have selected a trip in trip planner.

Once you have selected a trip, the next screen (which contains the Go! button) shows two icons in the top left corner. Typically, the motorcycle and the Spanner.

These two icons allow you to view the settings for the trip. These are different from the setting on the Zumo when a trip is not active.

The spanner gives you the trip options and route preferences where you can select Faster Time, Adventurous Routing, Straight Line, Shorter Distance.

So choose adventurous routing. Let the XT calculate and then return to the previous screen.
This now shows your trip route points but it now has an orange button with a squiggly line. Tap it. Let it calculate and the right hand pane gives you the trip statistics and provides two additional buttons - one to show the elevation profile, one to allow you to edit the route by adding shaping points.

But skip that for now. Because there is a more inviting slider to play with, with 4 positions. Play with it, but let the XT finish calculating before you move on. Thats not important - you can move on before it has finished. But if you let it calculate all 4 alternatives, then it remembers them and shows the current option on the small map window in magenta, the other 3 are still visible in grey.

You may not see much change between the positions if you have used lots of Vias and Shaping points in your trip. This works best if you just have a couple of Vias for your stopping places. Let it do the rest.

If you have a route active, you can still back out to the main menu, select Apps and Trip Planner, select your saved routes, and the top item will be your active route. Select that and you can alter the settings for the route currently running.

Dont forget to save it once you have applied adventurous routing to an existing route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BrAtKo
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Slovakia

Post by BrAtKo »

Thank you John for explaining, it seems there is no quick&easy way to change active route mode. I'm usually do not use any via or shaping points, just send the destination from mobile app Drive and Go - it takes fastest which is the default mode calculated. I than would change the mode quickly do adventurous, better set this default mode for all new routes which is currently not supported (I can write feedback to Garmin to add this mode to the list of settings to save it as fedault one).
Image Honda NC750S DCT fuel consumption (122 000km from 2015y)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That isn't quite true. And certainly I would not want the default to be set to Adventurous ! I don't think that it is particularly clever at finding suitable routes - not for me, anyway.

If you are creating a route with just a single point, then you can either choose from a list of favourites that you have created eg by tapping on the map and saving that point or search for a place by name.

In both cases, when you get the option to select 'Go!' there is also the orange squiggly line button to create an adventurous route to that point. But it has to be to a point that you can select from a list.

So favourites, a search, history, categories, trip advisor, foursquare, explore waypoint, iOverlander,.... anything that produces a list of locations.

If you want to just go to a point on the map you have to save that point first.

But the Explore facilty may provide you with what you want. Use the Explore App (map) on your phone to create a waypoint. It automatically synchs with your XT (if your phone is set up to do this, it does it without any intervention). Select 'Where To->Explore->Waypoints' (or similar) on the XT. Press the adventurous button and you're off.
Or to be more succinct. Use your phone to place a point. Select the point on your XT. Click adventure button and Go.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.