Zumo XT music artwork

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Re: Zumo XT music artwork

Post by Richard_R »

jfheath wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:22 am Mostly people like to complain without saying what it does wrong.
You could have finished the sentence after "Most people like to complain". :P It is human nature and people go out of their way to ensure their complaints are heard and spend way less time congratulating successful things.
jfheath wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:22 am I have yet to find an 'Undo' facility,
Just delete the waypoint that is wrong from the list of waypoints on the left side of the screen. If it is the last waypoint your route will end at the previous point if not MRA will recalculate a route between the previous and next waypoints which you can always drag to somewhere else if you want.
jfheath wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:22 am MRA does not send the actual route - the curvy line - that is drawn on the roads on the MRA screen. It sends just the route points and leaves the Zumo to calculate a route from that. The XT will produce a very different route from just points.
Maybe I am doing things wrong but I have never had the XT diverge from where I want it to go from a route planned in MRA. As I have said previously I put plenty of waypoints in to ensure that the GPS follows the route I planned and does not head off on side trips of its own.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT music artwork

Post by jfheath »

Thanks - @Richard_R

Yes - I can find my way around things rather than use an 'Undo'. One way is to not make mistakes in the first place !
Richard_R wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:36 am Maybe I am doing things wrong but I have never had the XT diverge from where I want it to go from a route planned in MRA. As I have said previously I put plenty of waypoints in to ensure that the GPS follows the route I planned and does not head off on side trips of its own.
No - you are not doing anything wrong. I just have this notion that a satnav is supposed to find me a route from one place to the next, rather than me having to pin it down with route points so that it cannot possible come up with an alternative. So (say) I have in mind getting form A to B. There's high road and a low road, and my preference is to take the high road. But if the weather is poor; if the traffic is bad; if there is a hold up; if the road is closed; if we've had enough riding for the day - then I know that by setting off on the low road the satnav will start to realise that this is now the better way to get to point B. I don't have to skip a single point, let alone a whole series of them. I just have to ignore the nagging for a couple of miles and eventually it decides that I know best and recalculates a new route from where I am now.

That's what the 660, 590 and 595 used to be very good at. The XT is slowly revealing itself as a very different beast. It insists that you do things its way; It will go for miles in order to get you onto a faster road. Pinning the route down with lots of route points is certainly one way, and I may have to adopt that approach, although I am stubbornly resisiting it. I don't like the idea of having to repeatedly press skip - especially since the XT does something odd with the route ahead after pressing skip.

I think that the option for a track to 'Convert to Trip' would be better for me. It plots no route points but keeps the 'route' pinned to its original course. If you deviate, it doesn't recalculate the entire route but instead constantly finds a way to get you from your ever changing position to a suitable point on the original plotted course. It then navigates you to that point on the original.

But as I said - it's whatever works for you. I keep thinking that I have found a way that works for me, only for the XT to point out that I haven't.
I found myself looking at my dash and screen yesterday and trying to work out how much time and effort it would take to re-install my 590/595 wiring and mount.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.