Faster or Shorter?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Faster or Shorter?

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Which is the best way to set the Options/preferences in the routing software and Zumo, Faster Time or Shorter Distance?

When I create routes in either Mapsource or Basecamp I place enough shaping and via points so that the route will "stick" to the roads that I have selected. But, I recently built a route on one PC and then copied it to another and the road selections changed a little. It was then that I realized that one computer was using Faster Time, the other Shorter Distance. I ended up setting both to Shorter Distance.

So, as long as both the computer and the GPS are using the same routing option, is there any choice preferred over the other?
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Faster or Shorter?

Post by rbentnail »

I have faster selected. I use a lot of points in predetermined routes but when I select 'Go Home' I'd rather get there sooner.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I'm glad I saw this thread. I wasn't even thinking if my routing option was the same in base camp as well as on the unit. Also my riding buddy is getting a zumo so he can lead some of the day by following the route that I made. I just have to make sure that his option is also set to faster time
MSTOCK27370
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

rufasim wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:57 am I'm glad I saw this thread. I wasn't even thinking if my routing option was the same in base camp as well as on the unit. Also my riding buddy is getting a zumo so he can lead some of the day by following the route that I made. I just have to make sure that his option is also set to faster time
Yeah, I selected a nice curvy road circuit. I try to keep the number of shaping points to the least that I can but still stay on the route selected. When I looked at the route on the 2nd PC, instead of going straight ahead at one intersection, the route turned onto a state road, went down a few miles and then turned to rejoin my route. Completely missing the nice twisty road through the woods I had selected. On another section of the same (new) route the 2nd PC went into a road, then a U-turn to go to another road around the curvier road I wanted. This is because "Faster Time" will often opt for straighter wider roads that have higher speeds, even if the distance is longer. If you are building a route using Faster Time as your preference, you may have to add more shaping points to force the route to your selected roads.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Faster or Shorter ?

Pre XT models I would say the faster time gives more predictable results. You know that it will stick to the main routes, so you know that if you want to go on other roads you need additional shaping points. But pre - XT, if a backroad route was calculated as faster, it would take it.

The XT has different priorities and when I discover what they are, I'll let you know - but it doesn't seem to compare routes to choose the fastest. It seems to go a long way to get to a faster road resulting in a route that often is not faster. I continue to be surprised by the routes that it chooses.

Shorter distance. Is not good for navigation in towns and villages and will often take a back road, rubble strewn, seldom used roads that have grass growing up the middle, rather than stick to normal roads.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MSTOCK27370
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I went through a few saved routes on my PC again. Changing my preference to Faster Time resulted in a few places where the routes deviated from my original plan, leaving a stub into and then back out of a road, taking the "faster" road instead. This required me to add a few shaping points to the routes to keep the route on the roads that were intended.

This whole issue brings me back to wish for an option that I had on my StreetPilot 2610 units. The SP GPS had the option for routing: Faster Time, Shorter Distance, or Prompted (this was my selection). This made it so easy. I could set up my routing software for shorter distance, and the plans would stick to where I wanted them. If I needed to route on the fly, on the GPS, the GPS would prompt me to select faster or shorter, and I could make the choice as I needed.

I guess I've made the choice to switch to Faster Time on my devices and routing software, and add some extra shaping points as needed.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:05 pm I guess I've made the choice to switch to Faster Time on my devices and routing software, and add some extra shaping points as needed.
Yes, that is still what I do. The XT needs more shaping points than I would like to use though.

Having the track loaded and displayed at the same time helps a great deal. At least if it does something stupid I can still see what my intended route was without having to wonder what it is up to in a location where I can't or don't want to stop.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MSTOCK27370
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I'm going to throw a curveball here. I just looked at each of my Zumo devices and I have decided to change my decision. All of my GPSs are set to Shortest Distance. Using Faster Time is really screwing up my planned routes and forcing me to add shaping points where I don't want or need them.

My Zumo 590 has the simplest solution. If I am routing myself somewhere on the fly, I can easily select a different routing profile and the route will change to faster time. The 450 or 550 can be switched in the navigation screen to faster time very quickly and changed back after, if I am trying to go somewhere unplanned.

My reasoning for avoiding extra shaping points is getting clear directions and navigation when running a pre-planned route. When I keep the shaping points to the minimum, then at each turn, the distance to the next turn will be accurate. If extra shaping points are included in the route then distance to the next turn could be distance to the next point instead.

So, I'm going with Shorter Distance. Hope this hasn't left everyone else confused.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

It must be a USA thing. If I tried 'shortest distance' in the UK, I would end up going through back streets, down small alleys and taking about twice as long as it should really take. (We do have far too many roads for the size of the country). I always select fastest time, then adjust it to what I'd like to do before sending it to my sat nav.

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Always set to fastest route here with avoid motorways

Shortest is a nightmare in the UK as @alan sh says too many minor roads!

In fact I have had the zumo take too long and say can't calculate route on shortest route!