Hide track from map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: Hide track from map

Post by jfheath »

You can still turn off your tracks when they are not needed. The option disappears from the Tracks menu, but it appears in the collections menu.
But you turn off the collection that they are in, rather than the track.

To make control easier, make a collection called "Visible". You have to do that on the Explore website or in the Explore App.
Turn on tracks in the 'Visible' Collection. Then on the XT add whatever you want to see to that collection (items can belong to any number of collections).

Remove them from that collection when you don't want to see them.

OR - what I do is have 5 collection set up in case I want to use one.

So if I have a multiday trip, I put whatever I want on one day in one collection, another day into another collection etc , and turn on only the collection that I want.

Items that aren't in any collection automatically go into the 'unorganised' collection. (If you will forgive the contradiction).

A collection can contain routes, tracks and saved waypoints.
Better than that is that when you are looking for something, rather than looking through all of your routes, which are listed in no particular order (unless you assigned a time and date to the first location), you can look through one collection and everything you want is in one place. Then you can turn the entire collection on or off.

Useful link with pretty pictures app.php/ZXT-P58

Use the next / previous links to read surrounding pages.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

I like your idea of 5 collections. I'll have to give it some thought (a challenge even on my best days) and see if I can figure something that might work for me in this regard.

I've been reading your User Guide. Great stuff. Pretty pictures, indeed. Actually, I'm a graphic designer by trade and resoundingly "visual". :idea: So thanks for the images!
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I just thought of something else that may stop you from losing data when you are testing things out.

You can share the tracks / Saved Location / Routes.

If Explore is enabled, then Where To->Explore or Where To->Favourites (UK) / Where To -> Saved (USA)
Then Spanner -> Share - you can share them via Garmin Drive (eg to email to yourself), or to memory card or by Bluetooth.

This works for Tracks : for Apps->Tracks->Spanner->Share
And for Routes : Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips->Spanner->Share

The same technique works if Explore is not enabled - except sometimes you have to click the 3 bar menu instead of spanner (in top left corner if you have the XT in landscape orientation).

You then get gpx files on your memory card or wherever else you shared them to.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

Oh that's clever. I'll give this a go next time I'm working on it. Thanks!
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
voyagersail
United States of America

Post by voyagersail »

Garmin... This could all be as simple as adding a "clear" color track option for individual tracks.
voyagersail
United States of America

Post by voyagersail »

I have a simple solution. It may be the same as a couple of the responses above, so allow me to put is in simple terms...

Assuming you use collections,
1) Create a new, empty collection called ROTD (ride of the day) or similar
2) Open the track you want to see. Spanner, collections
3) Add the track to ROTD. If you also want to see custom waypoints, add them to the ROTD collection too.
4) Go to Where to? > Explore > Collections > Spanner >Collections on Map, and check ROTD & uncheck any conflicting collections

When you want to ride, simply view the map. You left the ROTD visible & made other collections invisible. If you want to see a different track, remove the old one from ROTD & add the new track to ROTD.