XT Insists that I follow original Route, rather than calculate a new one.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: XT Insists that I follow original Route, rather than calculate a new one.

Post by jfheath »

Oop North John wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:47 pm Sounds very similar what happened to me over the weekend where the routing was making no sense if you didn't follow the planned route.
Thanks @Oop North John

Just to be certain - was this a 'normal' route or one that has been created from a track using the 'Convert to a Trip' facility.
It seemed very odd when I first used that feature and deviated from the magenta line, but I think I can explain its behaviour now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm
Oop North John wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:47 pm Sounds very similar what happened to me over the weekend where the routing was making no sense if you didn't follow the planned route.
Thanks @Oop North John

Just to be certain - was this a 'normal' route or one that has been created from a track using the 'Convert to a Trip' facility.
It seemed very odd when I first used that feature and deviated from the magenta line, but I think I can explain its behaviour now.
It was a route created in Basecamp and sent to the XT by USB cable.

In the old days of the Streetpilot I remember it having 3 tries to get you back to the original route as it used less processing power, this was worse :(
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks John

I have a reply from Garmin. A link to a video and a web page. Sort of what I expected.

I've replied, but will follow up with a phone call. I'll update here as I get more info.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No update from Garmin as yet - but I do have some more information.

Back to the original problem:
Weird Routing 2.jpg
Weird Routing 2.jpg (408.73 KiB) Viewed 538 times

I repeated this route yesterday. I didn't plan a route, I just selected 'Hawes' as my first destination and pressed Go!. Over lunch, in Hawes, I selected my home town and selected Go!. No pre-planned trip. No Via or Shaping Points. Just a megenta line plotting my route to get to the final destination from my current location. MY current location was off the road, so the first thing it wasnted was for me to drive to the highlighted route. Which I did.

Hawes is at the top right corner of the map. The route plotted by the XT was the same as the light blue route. I intended to turn left at Ribblehead following the route that is plotted as the dark red line, heading SSE to Settle - and then on to home which is about 30 miles SE from there.

At Ribblehead. The satnav didn't bat an eyelid - I had turned the wrong way but the next time I looked it had recalculated a new route in the direction that I was heading. Perfect. I did the same a bit later on after Settle, taking a much longer route heading first south and then East - rather than take the route that it had plotted. It tried a few times to get me to take roads heading East (which would eventually join up with its route), but I doubt that it was trying to get me back onto its route - every suggestion would have been faster than the way that I was heading - so that was OK. Eventually when there were no more roads heading East, it recalculated the route that I was intending to follow.

In short it behaved exactly like the 590 would have done when following a plotted route - ie find the fastest way to get to the next route point rather than insist on taking me back to the point of deviation - that the XT seems to want.

Actually, if you stop the route on the XT and restart and ask it to head to the next Via Point - it will also calculate the route that I am taking.

I'm going to try another tack with Garmin. Why not put a recalculate button on the main screen. So that it will calculate a new route to get to the next route point - shaping or via. Whichever is next in its list.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:12 am I'm going to try another tack with Garmin. Why not put a recalculate button on the main screen. So that it will calculate a new route to get to the next route point - shaping or via. Whichever is next in its list.
It would be nice if this type of calculation also occurred when whenever a route point is skipped, rather than the current behavior of recalculating the entire route.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:48 pm It would be nice if this type of calculation also occurred whenever a route point is skipped, rather than the current behavior of recalculating the entire route.
I agree. I reported this to Garmin a long while back. Actually - I have just checked my report to Garmin in June 2020 - the 590 did exactly the same thing - I just never noticed (I rarely use Skip). The XT seems to have software which prefers a faster solution than a more reliable one, so why it calculates the entire route rather than justa small section, I do not know. I can only guess it is so that it can take into account the current traffic conditions.

Unfortunately, it is what it is. But it is annoying.