XT Insists that I follow original Route, rather than calculate a new one.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

XT Insists that I follow original Route, rather than calculate a new one.

Post by jfheath »

I am starting this thread as an individual topic to try to find out whether anyone else has experienced this issue.
The problem has been lodged with Garmin a few days ago. I have yet to receive a reply.

I am not after suggestions for what I could have done to avoid this problem. I know how to do that. What I want to know is whether anyone else has come across a similar situation where the XT refuses to deviate from a route that the XT itself has calculated.

The problem occurred after the route was recalculated when I skipped a Via Point at Hawes. The XT created a new route from my current position to the next Via Point at Mearbrook (at the south end of the red line on the OS map. I have shown the route that it plotted as the cyan coloured line on the Ordnance Survey map below. According to the XT this route is marginally faster. That's OK. That is not the problem.

Click the map to obtain a clearer image. The knife/fork symbols have nothing to do with the route. I must have had up ahead places turned on.

Weird Routing 2.jpg
Weird Routing 2.jpg (367.33 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

When I arrived at Ribblehead, I took the route that I had originally plotted - the red route, expecting the XT to recalculate its route when I deviated from the Cyan Route at Ribblehead. 5 minutes down the red route B6479 would make this a much faster option. That is what the 590 and 595 would have done.

Not the XT. It refused to take the route ahead - as if it thought that 'Beyond here there be dragons'. It kept recaclculating the route, finding new ways to make me turn back to pick up the cyan route at Ribblehead.

Here is the screen shot just after passing through Settle.

Weird Routing at Settle.png
Weird Routing at Settle.png (363.42 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Now, how ridiculous is that ?

When I got home, about half an hour later, I asked the XT to plot a route from a mile south of Ribblehead to Mearbeck. It plotted the (red) route without any problem. So why was it determined to take me back.

Eventually, with less than a mile before the red route met the cyan route, it gave in and plotted the route ahead.

Here is the screen shot. The white arrow indicates the roundabout where the red route and the cyan route on the A65 meet up.
615228.png
615228.png (461.68 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

I want to go back and repeat this exercise in case it was a glitch caused by some other issue. (And I now have a different XT). There are no other route points involved in this example. There were no avoidances set and the Zumo had been reset before I loaded the route from Basecamp. Auto-recalculate was turned on, traffic was disabled.

v6.30 of software Europe 2022.20 maps. No 3rd party maps (like OSM) were loaded.

The ordnance survey map is obtained from OS Open Data. It can be used freely providing their copyright is acknowledged with this statement:
Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2020.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Re: XT Insists that I follow original Route, rather than calculate a new one.

Post by Richard_R »

When I first got the XT I tried it out to see how it reacted. A couple of times I asked it to take me to point A. I then followed the route it wanted me to take but tried some minor unplotted deviations and the XT just took me back to the original route but when I tried more major deviations where getting back to the original plotted route was less practical the XT happily recalculated and took me another way to the destination. These were routes with no intermediate waypoints though simply an endpoint and they had been calculated within the XT itself rather than on a computer.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for this Richard - that could be useful information.
Richard_R wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:05 am I then followed the route it wanted me to take but tried some minor unplotted deviations and the XT just took me back to the original route
I wonder if you can remember -- did it try to take you back to the point where you left the route, or did it find a way to rejoin the route a little further on ?

I have a theory - but I am not yet convinced that this is what is happening.

But first a bit of background info:
  • On the XT, you can convert a track to what it calls a 'Trip' . The magenta line that it produces has no intermediate route points, but you navigate it just like a standard route, with turn by turn direction. If you deviate from this magenta line, the XT does something odd, but really quite clever. It seems to use your current position and finds the point on the original 'trip' that is 'nearest', and navigates you to that point. (I don't know if 'nearest' means faster or shorter yet, I haven't tested it).
My theory is that maybe the XT is using an algorithm something like this to recalculate the route - in which case, because there were no roads available to take me to the identified 'nearest' point (there's a mountain in the way), the nearest point would be back to where I left the route - at least until it reached about half way.
I'm not convinced, because much later on there IS a route from Settle that would get me to its route on the A65. It didn't take it. And I have yet to think of a plausible reason for it taking me on 30 mile route when the next Via Point is just 3 miles ahead. But there has to be one.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

Yes . I can confirm I have the same issue. A similar triangular situation that you describe.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Scottnet wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:04 pm Yes . I can confirm I have the same issue. A similar triangular situation that you describe.
Was that your A-B-C route, Scott ?

Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

No, nothing to do with a.b c .

I took what I knew to be a quicker route. Every recalculation wanted me to do a u turn. Only when I was within half a mile of rejoining the route did it calculate forward . Ridiculous is correct 🙄

I don't think this has anything to do with current circumstances, traffic etc. I put it down to the
rubbish routing software on the XT.

Hope this is helpful, and would be very interested if you get any real progress or commitment to fix from Garmin
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have had this issue before too!

I purposefully went off route and it was trying to send me in all sorts of directions yet the route I was heading was the best way to go and only when I was almost back on track did it then tell me to continue the way i was already going
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:13 am I wonder if you can remember -- did it try to take you back to the point where you left the route, or did it find a way to rejoin the route a little further on ?
No. Let's say I turned left off the route. It just made me turn right, then right then left once I rejoined the route further down the road from where I deviated. Hope that makes sense. Again these were not previously planned routes they were simply me typing a destination into the GPS then following (sort of) the route it decided on and they were not over huge distances (20-30 km only sort of thing).
The reason I tried it was because I did not want to have the GPS do what yours appears to be doing and send me in circles back to the point of deviation or for it to be like the one in my wifes Mercedes that will spend the next 50 km after you miss a point telling you to "Do a U turn when possible".
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks.

That is what I would expect it to do - join the route further along (I assume heading for the next route point). I can't remember, but I believe I have seen it behave 'normally' like that before. But I cannot be sure. I need to work out what was different this time. I'll take it out in the car. I can stop and take notes, photos and screen shots.

Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Sounds very similar what happened to me over the weekend where the routing was making no sense if you didn't follow the planned route.