Easy solution to install City Navigator maps on PC/Mac

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
paynes1
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Easy solution to install City Navigator maps on PC/Mac

Post by paynes1 »

Peobody wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:16 pm My last install of maps to my PC (Win10 21H1) resulted in locked maps. I found that the maps were unlocked for the PC Admin user though. I deduced that "run as administrator" did the map install as the Admin user, unlocking the maps only for the Admin user. My solution was to temporarily elevate my user privileges to administrator and then run the map install logged in as me (no "run as administrator).

I believe I was running GE 7.9.1.0 at the time.
Thanks for the suggestion Peobody

I have been running both GE and BaseCamp as an admistrator every time I start them. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me...still trying.

Garmin have come back to me again, and said that they still don't have a solution. They say that I will have to use BaseCamp using the XT connected and running the maps on the XT. I still find it hard to believe that considering the information I have given them that they do not have a way of giving me an unlock code to install.

Steve P
shealbi
United States of America

Post by shealbi »

Having never done so, what are the advantages of installing onto a PC?
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

shealbi wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am Having never done so, what are the advantages of installing onto a PC?
It's much easier to create custom routes rather than using just your unit.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

shealbi wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 am Having never done so, what are the advantages of installing onto a PC?
Routes can be made without having a device plugged into the computer.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

paynes1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:11 am I have been running both GE and BaseCamp as an admistrator every time I start them. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me...still trying.
Just to be clear, the important point about my solution is that the PC user who will be running Basecamp must be the logged in user doing the map install (with administrator privileges). My take is that Garmin didn't design their software to function for all users of a PC, and they assume that everyone runs their PC logged in as a user with administrator privileges. Note: I had problems with both Garmin Express and Basecamp when I first started. I uninstalled then reinstalled while logged in as my user with privileges elevated to admin in order to get them to work as expected. I now temporarily elevate my user to an admin before doing GE updates. No more "ran as admin" or logging in as the admin user for anything related to Garmin.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
shealbi
United States of America

Post by shealbi »

Les wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:06 pm
I wasn't clear...I've used google my maps with Garmin Explore app, and I've used BaseCamp (hate), but wondering why I would want to import city navigator to my PC. Is it a more reliable map than that which is in basecamp? And is it more reliable than the google/Explore option?
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 pm
paynes1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:11 am I have been running both GE and BaseCamp as an admistrator every time I start them. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me...still trying.
Just to be clear, the important point about my solution is that the PC user who will be running Basecamp must be the logged in user doing the map install (with administrator privileges). My take is that Garmin didn't design their software to function for all users of a PC, and they assume that everyone runs their PC logged in as a user with administrator privileges. Note: I had problems with both Garmin Express and Basecamp when I first started. I uninstalled then reinstalled while logged in as my user with privileges elevated to admin in order to get them to work as expected. I now temporarily elevate my user to an admin before doing GE updates. No more "ran as admin" or logging in as the admin user for anything related to Garmin.
Hi Peobody
Thanks

I have always run my laptop set up as administrator, and GE and BC as administrator.
I have used this laptop to run maps, along with GE and BC for about 5 or 6 years and never had any issues with map updates until this last one. The only difference is that I ran a Zumo 660 previously and just changed to a Zumo XT.

Steve P
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

shealbi wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 pm
Les wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:06 pm
I wasn't clear...I've used google my maps with Garmin Explore app, and I've used BaseCamp (hate), but wondering why I would want to import city navigator to my PC. Is it a more reliable map than that which is in basecamp? And is it more reliable than the google/Explore option?
I've never used (or heard of) the Garmin Explorer App.

However if you download and install the latest NT or NTU mapping to a PC, it should show up in either Basecamp, or as I prefer Mapsource.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Les wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:27 pm I've never used (or heard of) the Garmin Explorer App.
The program is called Explore.
It's available if you set up a free Garmin account at explore.garmin.com and can be accessed from a computer or using a smartphone app.

The mapping and satellite imagery is pretty good, and is a very different tool and a completely different solution to using Basecamp or Mapsource. If you weren't paying attention when you first got your XT you probably initialised it by default.

There is some info here app.php/ZXT-P61

And the whole of that section is related to Explore - setting it up, removing it and using it.

One really useful feature is that it communicates direct from the website with your XT. Create stuff on the site, it appears in a few seconds on your Zumo.

But its not for everybody. Me included. But I like to experiment.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:55 pm If you weren't paying attention when you first got your XT you probably initialised it by default.
Ah.. that's the thing, I don't have an XT, I'm a bit old school I suppose, still using my trusty and reliable Zumo 660 alongside Mapsource (since about 2007) so would not have encountered Explorer.

I also have a laptop with Mapsource (and Basecamp) which I often carry with me to enable custom routes when required, I use My Zumo in my car and motorhome as well as on my bike... it's also worth adding that you do not need an internet connection when using NT maps on a laptop.