Connecting a 346/396 to a Sena headset

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Connecting a 346/396 to a Sena headset

Post by alan sh »

Has anyone done this? Specifically to the SLR2 headset that fits into a Shoei GT Air2? But any information on connectivity issues from a 246/396 to any Sena would be helpful.

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Connecting a 346/396 to a Sena headset

Post by jfheath »

Clear all BT connections from headset and Zumo
Prevent all other devices from finding and pairing with either your headset or your Zumo. **
Pair the headset and Zumo.

** Disable them or do this away from any other devices - including your phone.
Connect other devices to the Zumo - not to your headset. The Zumo controls the communication to and from your phone.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I've connected to Sena no problems. Connect 396 to headset, then headset to phone
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:34 pm I've connected to Sena no problems. Connect 396 to headset, then headset to phone

For most normal headsets, this wouldn't work as the headset normally has just one channel, so everything has to be connected to the Zumo.

I've never considered the Sena as an option as I need to have rider / pillion communication and for that to work I think that the headset would need to have two channels.

Which model Sena do you have? it may be worth me taking another look if it has that facility.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

You're right Zumo to headset and Zumo to phone.
However, with my old Sena-5 I still can communicate with my friend while riding. I don't remember if the communication is interrupted when Zumo is talking and V/S. I think that Zumo is taking preference of all (phone, other Sena, etc.) but will try to notice the next time.