Spoken directions from 396 to headset via iPhone

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
99trider

Spoken directions from 396 to headset via iPhone

Post by 99trider »

New member and admitted tech dummy😬.
My question is can I get spoken directions from my 396 to my iPhone and hear them via my headset?
What I’m asking is if I am listening to music on my headset via Bluetooth from my iPhone can I set the Zumo to interrupt the music and speak directions so that I can hear them on my headset?
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Re: Spoken directions from 396 to headset via iPhone

Post by jfheath »

I don't know the Zumo 396, but I suspect that it behaves like the XT, 590 and 595 in this respect.

The Zumos should be set at the centre of your communication system.

Pair you headset with the Zumo get that to work first.
Pair the phone with the Zumo
Set the music source in the Zumo to come from the phone
Adjust the volumes in the volume mixer.

The 396 has a built in media player, which may be clearer and easier to access than the one from your phone

Unrelated, but there is a Garmin App which you can load on your phone which will allow the phone to transmit data such as weather, traffic etc to the Zumo. The manual says that this is Garmin's Smartphone Link App.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Re: Spoken directions from 396 to headset via iPhone

Post by CollingsBob »

jfheath wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:16 am I don't know the Zumo 396, but I suspect that it behaves like the XT, 590 and 595 in this respect.

The Zumos should be set at the centre of your communication system.

Pair you headset with the Zumo get that to work first.
Pair the phone with the Zumo
Set the music source in the Zumo to come from the phone
Adjust the volumes in the volume mixer.

The 396 has a built in media player, which may be clearer and easier to access than the one from your phone

Unrelated, but there is a Garmin App which you can load on your phone which will allow the phone to transmit data such as weather, traffic etc to the Zumo. The manual says that this is Garmin's Smartphone Link App.
I use a Cardo PackTalk Bold with JBL speakers for this - because I can’t really see the garmin, audio instructions are critical. There are a couple of audio mixers to adjust..one in the Garmin, another in the Cardo. Because I have fairly substantial hearing loss, I wear earplugs that only attenuate the sound a little, otherwise I can’t hear a bloody thing.
Because of my sight and hearing loss, I advise people to stay off the sidewalks when I ride..
Certified JB Welder