Easy solution to install City Navigator maps on PC/Mac

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Easy solution to install City Navigator maps on PC/Mac

Post by jfheath »

Sorry - I didn't read your comment properly.

It isn't good that they seem to keep making this error. It is almost as if they are using the customers to do their testing for them. At least you have the maps installed.

I have never had my hands on a Mac, so I'm of no use for this problem.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
paynes1
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Hoping this will work.I will try after Xmas.

I posted this elsewhere before I found this:
I have just replaced my old faithful Zumo 660 with a new Zumo XT after 11 years of faultless service, and was really looking forward to it. When I select install maps to the computer it goes through the whole process (100%) then a banner shows 'map update failed' (at least a dozen times).

However, when I open BaseCamp, it says that the maps are locked. For the last 2 days I have been installing/uninstalling maps/Garmin Express and Basecamp as administrator as directed without success. I have spent ages on the phone with Garmin and exchanged 15 emails with suggestions and screen dumps of the issues etc.

I have reached the stage where if the XT is attached it says that the new maps are installed do I want to use them? The do not show in map product manager with or without the XT attached. If I say no then I can use BC and the maps on the XT, definitely not ideal. If I say yes, the maps do not work correctly.

In the Programdata\Garmin\Maps folder the maps appear to be there as I am used to seeing them previously, but there is also a folder named RMU??

Surely, there must be a way of solving the install issue, or at least, a way of unlocking them with a code. When I select the unlock option in the dialogue box nothing happens. Also, the page about this on Garmin says that the unlocking option is no longer available.

Garmin have now basically said tough, live with it. It is too difficult to solve.

Very disappointed!!

Steve P
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I had an issue recently after a Windows update changed permissions on some folders to read only. Check your Garmin folders to ensure they're set to read and write so Express can access them.
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

sussamb wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:35 am I had an issue recently after a Windows update changed permissions on some folders to read only. Check your Garmin folders to ensure they're set to read and write so Express can access them.
Thanks for answering quickly as usual.
I've gone through the folders in Programdata\Garmin\Maps and unchecked the read only in properties for all the folders. The maps are still showing as locked.
However, when I checked, the read only boxes are checked again?

Steve P
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hmmm ... not sure why that would happen unless you exited without saving. Having got that setting to 'stick' you do need to run Express again to install the map correctly.
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

sussamb wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:22 am Hmmm ... not sure why that would happen unless you exited without saving. Having got that setting to 'stick' you do need to run Express again to install the map correctly.
Morning,
My mistake, the read only boxes were already unchecked, the coloured in box did not mean active as I discovered this morning by trying again and realised that a tick appeared in the box after removing the shading in the box. I also checked the advanced option and read-write is available to all.

Just tried reloading the maps using GE as administrator and got the same result - all the way through the process including windows installer asking permission for changes, then an error box saying that 'map changes failed'. I've attached screenshots.
locked 2.jpg
locked 2.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
update fail.jpg
update fail.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
It would be good to get this working on the laptop as this is what I use when away leading tours and I need to tweak routes. I think I can do this with the XT attached using the device maps, going to experiment later. Obviously, this isn't ideal.
Thanks
Steve P

As an aside, I have noticed a second folder 'RMU' in the Garmin\Maps folder in addition to the maps folder I would expect to see in the past. Mentioned this to Garmin but they did not come back with whether that is normal or not? Picture of the contents of that folder attached.
garmin_maps.jpg
garmin_maps.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
RMU Contents.jpg
RMU Contents.jpg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well the next step I'd try is to remove both those folders and try the map install. I've seen posts about files in those folders being corrupted and then preventing an update installing correctly.

First though see if you can uninstall those folders using the normal Windows uninstall feature via Control Panel
V650
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Ireland

Post by V650 »

RMU folder is also on mine
Maps folder is 6.5 gb RMU folder 12.5 gb

I also got that error on mine when installing maps to the pc but in my case there was not enough space on the drive as you can see it totalled nearly 20 gb
it installed after clearing some space
you could also try disabling the AV while installing just as a test

On mine the option to remove garmin city navigator is there but not the RMU in the control panel
Have you also tried removing / reinstalling Garmin express

This is on windows 10 64bit version 21H1
Garmin Express version 7.10.0.0
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

sussamb wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:45 am Well the next step I'd try is to remove both those folders and try the map install. I've seen posts about files in those folders being corrupted and then preventing an update installing correctly.

First though see if you can uninstall those folders using the normal Windows uninstall feature via Control Panel
V650 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:01 am RMU folder is also on mine
Maps folder is 6.5 gb RMU folder 12.5 gb

I also got that error on mine when installing maps to the pc but in my case there was not enough space on the drive as you can see it totalled nearly 20 gb
it installed after clearing some space
you could also try disabling the AV while installing just as a test

On mine the option to remove garmin city navigator is there but not the RMU in the control panel
Have you also tried removing / reinstalling Garmin express

This is on windows 10 64bit version 21H1
Garmin Express version 7.10.0.0
Thanks both.
Done that a few times over the last few dats, including uninstalling BaseCamp and GE using Control Panel. Both files the same sizes as quoted. Lots of space on the drive. Unfortunately that hasn't helped.
Win 10
GE 7.10.0.0
BC 4.7.4 (rather not have updated because of Google Earth issues)

Steve P

Tried Rotor's suggestion at the beginning, but it didn't work. GE didn't seem to see the USB. As far as I can tell from the German version, with the USB .xml (both vesions) inserted, when GE starts it thinks the XT is connected. Unfortunately that isn't the case for me.:(
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My last install of maps to my PC (Win10 21H1) resulted in locked maps. I found that the maps were unlocked for the PC Admin user though. I deduced that "run as administrator" did the map install as the Admin user, unlocking the maps only for the Admin user. My solution was to temporarily elevate my user privileges to administrator and then run the map install logged in as me (no "run as administrator).

I believe I was running GE 7.9.1.0 at the time.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.