Zumo xt... need improvement for waypoints

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Boldov
Canada

Zumo xt... need improvement for waypoints

Post by Boldov »

Hi

i received my new zumo xt, open the box, what a beautifull screen!. Then install and connect all the stuff to my tenere.
Everything works well,,,humm... not so well

I'M coming from a montana 650

tried to import tracks... it works but limited to 15 tracks on the screen, and most of the time the tracks that i want on the screen just dissapear for a while then came back when i zoom in or out

tried to import waypoints.. it work, but all the icons are now in a green square identified by a heart, and i cant put the waypoints on the map permanently, it's a disaster, i tried very hard but seems to be impossible

it's clearly a dealbreaker :|

any advice?
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo xt... need improvement for waypoints

Post by simoncrewe »

If you export the tracks & waypoints from basecamp into Garmin Explore, you can then edit the waypoint flags to icons of your choice. A bit tedious but it works. You will obviously need Garmin Explore loaded on your PC, Explore is already on the XT.
If it is any consolation, I have a Montana also & it is much simpler to 'manage' waypoints.
It is a while since I did it, but it is very simple to do the export from Basecamp to Explore.

With regards the Tracks, once they are in Explore they can be 'synchronised' to the XT via Garmin Drive app. You then need to go into Explore on the XT and import them to make the visible on the map.
See post #156 here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-m ... t-40621825
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

When you import the waypoints do they end up in "Saved Locations"?

If so, you can go into each item in the "saved location" list and edit the icon right on the XT. It's a bit of a chore, but definitely doable.

Whenever I plan a trip, I waypoint all of the motel locations and change the green heart into a little bed.
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

cr0100 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 pm When you import the waypoints do they end up in "Saved Locations"?

If so, you can go into each item in the "saved location" list and edit the icon right on the XT. It's a bit of a chore, but definitely doable.

Whenever I plan a trip, I waypoint all of the motel locations and change the green heart into a little bed.
I think you are correct in what you say, but I believe the choice of icons on the unit is limited, hence people doing through Explore.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

There are 46 icons available when editing waypoints on the XT. They are all green... I haven’t seen a way to pick other colors.

That being said, I’d be surprised if the XT could display other icons that are not already in its internal library. I’m not saying it’s impossible - just that I would find it surprising!
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

cr0100 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:45 pm There are 46 icons available when editing waypoints on the XT. They are all green... I haven’t seen a way to pick other colors.

That being said, I’d be surprised if the XT could display other icons that are not already in its internal library. I’m not saying it’s impossible - just that I would find it surprising!
It can display all the icons that Explore can display, as I made a point of editing mine when I transferred my collection from Basecamp. I thought it was a bit poor that such a good new unit could only allocate 'Green' icons to way points!
Boldov
Canada

Post by Boldov »

thanks for the tip, all my tracks and waypoints are there via explore

now the new problem is that the waypoints icons are displayed even when i zoom out, so now i have a a screen full of icon and i cant see my tracks!!!!!

but again, what a beautifull screen and 3d effects
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Boldov wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:32 am thanks for the tip, all my tracks and waypoints are there via explore

now the new problem is that the waypoints icons are displayed even when i zoom out, so now i have a a screen full of icon and i cant see my tracks!!!!!

but again, what a beautifull screen and 3d effects
There is no pleasing some people! :lol:
certpilot
United States of America

Post by certpilot »

I went from using a Montana 650 to a Zumo XT and I'm not very happy that I can no longer see waypoint names on the map. Garmin tech was pretty useless. Doesn't make much sense that they eliminated from the mapping software. It's strange that the software asks for a name but will not show on the map
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Much of what you need to know (and some that you don't) can be found here in section 7.
Flick through that section to find the relevant pages.

app.php/ZXT-P55

Waypoints created in Explore get saved in Favourites, yes.

Waypoints created in Explore are not automatically included as Via points in the route. They are just markers that appear in the screen. I don't see the point.

You can turn off the Large green icons in display, up ahead places.

Those green icons only show up in the most recently uploaded routes from Basecamp. If you later upload more routes, then the older ones cannot be made to appear. Personally I think they are a waste of time. I'd rather set my points as Vias and have them show up as the normal orange flag.

Garmin must have thought that they were a good idea once, but it is difficult to imagine the development meeting where that decision was made.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.