Will XT ignore a planned waypoint stop if you continue riding?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Will XT ignore a planned waypoint stop if you continue riding?

Post by twowheelstom »

Let's say that I'm on a route on my XT and I'm riding along and I intentionally on purpose bypass a planned route point (waypoint) without stopping there, will the XT force me to do a u-turn and go back? what if I don't wish to go back and want to continue on?
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Will XT ignore a planned waypoint stop if you continue riding?

Post by Peobody »

A Waypoint can be either a Via point or a Shaping point. The XT will route you to a Via point but will allow you to bypass a Shaping point, continuing to navigate forward once you are back on the magenta route line. You can use the "Skip" function to tell the XT that you intend to bypass an upcoming Via point. A "Skip" will trigger a recalculation of the remainder of the route which might introduce changes since the ghost points from a route created in Basecamp get discarded resulting in the XT using its own algorithm to do the recalculation.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm Let's say that I'm on a route on my XT and I'm riding along and I intentionally on purpose bypass a planned route point (waypoint) without stopping there, will the XT force me to do a u-turn and go back? what if I don't wish to go back and want to continue on?
There are two answers to this. One is the one that @Peobody has described above.

The other is an odd one. We have evidence that sometimes the XT behaves differently in three different circumstances.
i. If the route is created using the XT screen with Via Points and Shaping points - then it behaves exactly as @Peobody described.

ii. If the route has been imported into the XT, and skip has been pressed at any time beforehand, and you then decide not to visit a route point (via/shaping): Then if the Zumo can see the magenta line ahead - it will head to it and ignore the missed route point - and selete it from the route.

iii. Same as ii above on imported routes - even without having skipped a previous route point. (I separate the two scenarios, because I have tested ii exhaustively. I haven't been as thorough in testing this observation. - It may be the same, but I do not know for certain.)

There is a 4th situation. Any imported route can be made to behave like i) (ie a route created on the XT) by loading it and resaving it on the Zumo screen with a new name. The XT then thinks that it has created it and it behaves like i)
There is also a Java program available to 'fix' the route after it has been imported into the Zumo.

I have some videos of the behaviour of i) and ii) on here somewhere. Its late now. I'll link them as soon as I can.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm Let's say that I'm on a route on my XT and I'm riding along and I intentionally on purpose bypass a planned route point (waypoint) without stopping there, will the XT force me to do a u-turn and go back? what if I don't wish to go back and want to continue on?
Short answer- yes. You must pass over a Via Point or the XT will make you u-turn to go back to it.

If you're confused by the multitude of answers and conditions you're not alone. This is why, with the XT, I modified my behavior for route making. Let's face it, we're not so stupid that every stopping point has to be specifically laid out, are we? When I make my routes in Base Camp, I make all the route points as Shaping then strategically change a few to Via points. Via points for me are placed only to allow me to pick a point upon restarting a route, not as a routine stop. The skipping and recalculating of a routing Via point is normally not a problem for me as I use a lot of points to define the route but your route can change if you don't use lots.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am
Short answer- yes. You must pass over a Via Point or the XT will make you u-turn to go back to it.
That is exactly what I think should happen - and what the Zumo 590 and 595 (and probably the 34x and 39x) would do.
It is also what I believed happened with the XT. It is a good model to work with.

But with the XT, that does not always happen.

Here is an example. The Via point is placed off route deliberately - in the middle of a field. The fact that it is not placed on a road has no effect on the behaviour - it just makes it easier to see what the XT is doing - as it will always try to reach the Via point by turning at right angles from the nearest road. The video shows the instruction to navigate off route being ignored, and then subsequently recalculating the route to get me to go back to it. All 'U-Turn' and 'Skip' requests were ignored.

------------------------------------

This is the same (identical) route, using the same XT. But this time the behaviour is different. Note that after I ignore the instruction to visit the Via Point in the field on the right, there is a pause and the XT performs a complete recalculation, ignores the Via Point and plots a route to the next route point ahead. Although the playback is faster than real life, the pause is very obvious - the route is recalculated and all evidence of the previous route (behind me) is wiped from the screen.

Both of these behaviours are logical - depending on your intention.
  1. If you deliberately ignore the request to visit a route point - then the XT assumes you don't want to visit it it navigates ahead and forgets missed points. That makes sense.
  2. But if you are forced to ignore the instruction - eg because of road closure - then the fact that the route point is deleted can be a big problem if that is where you were heading. Not so good in this situation.
There are no tricks here. No sleight of hand in these demonstrations. That last behaviour caught me completely by surprise - I was trying to make a vidoe to demonstrate what I believed would happen - ie what Russ had stated. It didn't work out like that. (You can tell by the time stamp - I made this one first).

Do we know what behaviour the XT will demonstrate and when ? Yes we do.
Can we make it behave exactly like Russ described ? - ie more predictable. Yes we can.

Those answers are covered elsewhere. But I am happy to summarise them in this thread without getting into too much detail.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I follow Russ's method, but in addition the XT is set never to recalculate. Never had a problem yet. <touches wood>
Colin
BMW R1250RS
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I created a route in Basecamp with several waypoints (via points not shaping points) for planned gas station fill up stops along the highway, but I might decide not to stop there and to continue riding past the gas station because I don't need to gas up yet, what will the XT do?
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:59 pm I created a route in Basecamp with several waypoints (via points not shaping points) for planned gas station fill up stops along the highway, but I might decide not to stop there and to continue riding past the gas station because I don't need to gas up yet, what will the XT do?
I don't know, because that scenario doesn't give enough information.

If it was a 590 or a 595, it would repeatedly give instructions to take you to the Via Point.

But it is an XT with an imported Basecamp route - and imported routes (from any software, not just BC) behave differently on the XT.

What the XT does if you deviate is to recalculate the route. It will then navigate you to the closest point of its recalculated route - regardless of any routing points that it is supposed to visit. And if the closest point is behind you - because its first instruction is to turn you back - then that is what it will do repeatedly until you get closer to another part of the recalculated route.

That is what it did in the second video. The route ahead after I failed to turn into the field was closer than the Via point (it was under my front wheel!) So it discarded the Via Point and navigated me ahead.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:59 pm I created a route in Basecamp with several waypoints (via points not shaping points) for planned gas station fill up stops along the highway, but I might decide not to stop there and to continue riding past the gas station because I don't need to gas up yet, what will the XT do?
I often do what you describe, not only with potential fuels stops but coffee and lunch stops too. I am going to assume that your gas station waypoints are located off the road somewhere on the property of the gas station. Move those waypoints to the road at a point prior to the entrance to the gas station. That way, if you decide to ride past, the XT considers the waypoint as 'visited'. Make sure the moved point is far enough in front of the gas station so that you are sure to ride through it in even you stop. You don't want the waypoint on the road right in front of the gas station where the XT might think you missed it if you pull into one end of the gas station and out the other end.
I will be back with a picture shortly.
I'm back. In the image below I would be traveling west to east so you can see how I moved the Citgo waypoint so that I should be able to see it when the XT announces that I have arrived and I can't help but 'visit' it when I ride through the point regardless whether I stop.
BTW, if you choose to stop, be prepared for the XT to notify you that you are off route. Make sure recalculation is not set to automatic. I have mine set to prompt so this trick will generate can result in the off route > do you want to recalc prompts. I'm sure there is a "Yes" option but I never see it; I'm too focused on hitting "No".
clipimage.jpg
clipimage.jpg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 599 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The other way of dealing with that situation is something that I always do with my routes.

Any optional stopping place - I use two route points.

1. A shaping point to mark eg the garage entrance.
2. A via point to mark the road that I will be on whether I visit the shaping point or not.

If I choose to miss the shaping point, then I can expect the XT to either re-route me back to it, or forget about it. I don't care. The via point ahead keeps the original route in place, and it is easy to spot as the orange flag up ahead. As soon as I get close to that, the XT will start navigating ahead.

No need to turn off U turns, no need to turn off auto recalc.

The XT has a habit of substituting its own name for route points. If you want to keep the name you have given, then create it as a Waypoint first. That will then be stored in 'Favourites' or 'Saved' and its name will not be altered.

This technique has worked for a good number of years with the 590, 595 and continues to work with the XT.

It has an additional benefit. When you start a route, the XT asks you to select the next 'destination'. It then lists only the Via Points
At the garage, cafe, or wherever you stop, theres a chance that you might accidentally stop the route, or you might want to restart it.

You always have a Via Point to select which is just up the road, and it has a name that you recognise.

This technique is described here with illustrations .. app.php/ZXT-P19

And I have a video somewhere. Yes . here it is.

At the start, I am approaching a roundabout and the route to the cafe is the second exit. I decide not to visit the cafe, and take the third exit - which by-passes the village of addingham. Normally, the XT would ask me to u turn, but this by pass is a major road with three lanes, so a U turn would be foolhardy here. So the Xt takes me to the other end of the bypass and asks me to turn back to the cafe. Ive marked the place that I will pass through whether I visit rhe cafe or not, with a shaping point on this occasion - because there is a via point just up the road. You can see what happens when i do not turn left to visit the cafe.

Another video of the same situation, but the XT decides to deletes the cafe shaping point and navigates me to the next point. I've put an arrow to indicate where the cafe was marked with a shaping point. In both cases, any weird behaviour by the XT has been managed by predicting that something odd might happen if i go off route, and putting a single extra route point on the road that I will be travelling whether I visit or not.