How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

Post by jfheath »

A gdb file is the extension used by Garmin for the database.

I think Mapsource used it originally, and Basecamp followed suit.

I was very surprised to read that the Zumo could read a GDB file. I've never tried. It is a database file which will includes - well never mind - that is way off topic to continue that sentence. Suffice to say it is a very different beast from a GPX. Unless the Zumo uses the same structure.

I wish you wouldn't dangle these navigational carrots in front of me .... :P I need to find out now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I double checked the XT 64GB SD card, it has 2 files within folder Zumo XT > Memory Card > Garmin > GPX > Local Day Trips

Meteghan-backroads.gdb 15KB size
Local Day Trips.gpx 79KB size
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok. I'll come back to this after the weekend. My Zumos are all set up and packed ready for a workshop I am running on Friday.
I suspect that the data will be coming from the gpx file rather than the gdb file, but I do not know. I have been wrong before. Many times.
You will know whether that assumption is likely. I am keen to find out for certain.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@Peobody

No idea unless it should read .gdb which is a Garmin database file
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

gdb files are similar to the universally transferrable gpx files. <-- found that on google.
I learned to use the .gdb file extension from using the Garmin MapSource program in 2007 when I had my zumo 550. I saved my favourites from MapSource in files with a .gpx file extension, and I saved my routes in files with a .gdb file extension. That way I could visually organized my waypoints and routes separately on my computer for easy identification.

Yesterday when I copied those 2 files from Basecamp to my computer and then to the XT SD card, I could see on the SD card that the gdb file had my route in it and the gpx had all the waypoints. I just use gpx and gdb for ease of organization.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, MapSource exported its database as a .gdb file mainly to allow users to maintain difference databases, with BaseCamp that's all done from within BaseCamp, which can also read .gdb files if needed.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I couldn't resist - so dug out my packed XT.

I exported a track, route and associated waypoints to a gdb file. I did this from both Basecamp and from Mapsource.

There was no way that I could get the XT to locate any of the data that was in the GDB file either when I placed it in internal storage or on the memory card - which is what I expected.

Look at the screen shots of parts of the same file - one exported as a GPX - legible text, the other exported as a GDB - largely unreadble and containing what appear to be database data structure information - eg field names, which were never used in the data that I created.
gpx.jpg
gpx.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 561 times
GDB.jpg
GDB.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 561 times

GDB is the format that was used in Mapource. But the same format is also used by Basecamp - and it seems not to have changed. Export data as a GDB file, and Mapsource will read it. Ditto the other way around.

When Basecamp came along, it introduced the folder and list structure, and when BAsecamp is opened it autoamtically opens up the last GDB file that was opened. Changes are saved to the database as you make them - there is no need to save before closing down.

But Basecamp can open different databases. I have over 30 of them from the last 15 years or so. Typically one for each year and another for experimenting or testing. You can create your own in the Edit / Options / General. If you want to know how to do this - See P25 of the Zumo 595 and Basecamp documents. Downloadable from here - first post. viewtopic.php?t=521

Coincidence. I was just about to download it to check the page reference and noted that the Zumo 590 and Basecamp pdf document has been download 590 times. Seemed a shame to download it again to spoil that coincidence. This is a screen shot - not a link !!
Zumo 590 Downloads.jpg
Zumo 590 Downloads.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 561 times

twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

so what's your conclusion after all that?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:36 pm Coincidence. I was just about to download it to check the page reference and noted that the Zumo 590 and Basecamp pdf document has been download 590 times. Seemed a shame to download it again to spoil that coincidence.
twowheelstom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 pm so what's your conclusion after all that
Conclusion: Sometimes it takes so little to make us smile! :)

Seriously though, I read it as saying that XT is ignoring the .gbd file. This means the route and waypoints you see available for import on the XT are in the .gpx file. A test would be to remove the .gbd file from the card and then check the XT to confirm the same data is available for import as was there prior to removal of the .gbd.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Peobody wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:15 pm I read it as saying that XT is ignoring the .gbd file.
A test would be to remove the .gbd file from the card
well this is weird, because I removed that .gdb Metechans Backroads Route.gdb file from the SD Card, removed it also from my saved computer folder, went into Basecamp and Exported it again and saved it to my saved computer folder as a .gdb file, copy/pasted that file to the SD Card, went into Trip Planner expecting to find it to Import, and NO FILE. that Meteghans Backroads Route.gdb file is nowhere to be found on the Trip Planner Import selection.

Now I was puzzled as to why it worked before and not now. So I did a repeat, Basecamp Export to computer folder but this time left it as a .gpx file, copy/pasted that file to the SD Card, and bingo, it showed up in Trip Planner for Import. I think that 1st comments is the correct one, where you said that XT is ignoring the .gdb file.

Well well, looks like I'm going to scrap saving route files as gdb, i could do that when I had MapSource and my 550 but now with the XT, it's a No-Go.
now its gpx file extensions for both my waypoint files and routes