The "NEXT STREET" listing at top doesn't work

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

The "NEXT STREET" listing at top doesn't work

Post by BradB. »

When I am using my XT and following a track, the NEXT STREET in the bar at the top is seldom correct. It labels something early in the ride and this just sticks throughout the ride, not changing. Any idea how to fix this? :?:

Thanks in advance!
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: The "NEXT STREET" listing at top doesn't work

Post by jfheath »

When you say 'following a track'. What exactly do you mean. There are a number of possibilities....

1. You mean you have loaded a track using the Track App and selected Go! A magenta line is drawn on the map and the lower right display probably shows 'Off Course'. No navigation instructions are issued.

2. You have loaded a track and converted it to a trip. And loaded that from trip planner.

3. You have loaded a route from Trip Planner

4. You have displayed a track in the map and it doesn't show up as a magenta coloured line.

I don't know the answer to your question, but before I think any more about it - I need to be sure what your question is. My guess from what you said would be #1. And I could believe that that method doesn't update the top banner - because it doesn't monitor your progress along the plotted line in the same way, but I cannot say that I have noticed it actually happening.

Willing to experiment though, if you reply.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

1. I create tracks in the Rever app.
2. I import these tracks via DRIVE and they are viewed in the Apps>Tracks part of the XT.
3. I follow a line (any color I make it) without any type of route guidance .
4. The only two lines of info on the XT that change (besides my arrow as I move along the track) is:
-a) top line of text in the XT screen, a green band with the next cross street along my track listed.
-b) bottom center line of black text indicating what street I am riding on currently.

The bottom line is always current and correct. The top line locks up on a street crossed somewhere earlier in the ride and then doesn't change from there forward.

I think your scenario #1 is the closest. No navigational directions are ever given as is correct for a track. But I don't recall ever seeing a your off course listed anywhere on the screen. I wouldn't expect that.

The error I see is in the top bar not listing the upcoming cross street. It's not as a direction, just a listing of text that changes as every new street is approached.

Hope that makes sense. Hard to describe this stuff sometimes! Thanks for your efforts.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Any chance you have checked more than one "routable" map for the area in Settings>Map & Vehicle>myMaps ?
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

Hmmm, good question. I’ll list my maps checked below. Again, I only use Tracks if that helps. Thanks!

I have checked:
TopoActive PS Americas North 2022.1
TopoActive PS Americas Central 2022.1
CN North America NT 2024.1 Parkopedia
CN North America NT 2024.1 Foursquare
National Parks V2
North America DEM
CN North America NT 2024.1 All US
CN North America NT 2024.1 All Canada & Mexico
Birds Eye Imagery (various)
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It sounds like my scenario #4 . You just load a track and it is displayed in the colour you choose and not as a magenta line.

So no navigation is active. That is useful to know. But I still don't know the answer !

Whether you have the track displayed or not is irrelevant to this question - the satnav doesn't know that you are following it. You can have lots if tracks displayed on the map at the same time. They are just lines on the screen.

The Zumo plots your position on the map and it has previously plotted a line. It has also fiund and drawn the correct area of the map. But I don't think that it concerns itself with where you are heading for.

So the question is, does the XT normally show things that are coming up ahead when you have no route active ?

I thought that I had seen this, but I am not sure. Does it show the road name or the speed limits for the road that you are on ?
I have a feeling that this information is stored as part if the route. But again, I have not been observant enough.

It may show speed camera locations as these are proximity alerts like POIs. You can plot points that have a 'perimiter fence' around them. as soon as you pass through the fence, you get an alert, or an mp3 recording is played. They work whether or not a route is loaded.

I'm mumbling. Thinking out loud. I don't know, but next time I go out, I'll check what mine does fo you.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

So I'll mumble as well on this, have you tried different zoom levels?
Just a thought.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:42 am So the question is, does the XT normally show things that are coming up ahead when you have no route active ?
From my experience, when there is no route active, it only shows the direction like 'Driving North/South/East/West on xxxxx'

To me only logical, because how would it know where you are going if not route is active?

If you're driving a track (not a trip converted from a track) it could maybe know the direction, but tracks dont need a map, and the streetnames are contained within a map, so that's also questionable.

If you want to see the 'Next Street' using tracks maybe not your best option.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I understand what the OP is saying. Following a route only adds information about the next turn in the route. The OP is talking about the display of the street name of the upcoming intersecting street. I don't think I have ever noticed this on my XT but I see it on the map in my wife's Toyota. It does not show every upcoming steet though. I have not paid enough attention to it to try to determine the characteristics of the ones displayed vs. not. If my bike weren't in the shop I would go take it for a ride just to see what the top banner displays.

@electro_handyman mentioned zoom level which was also my first thought. My only other thought is the map detail level. Make sure it is not set on Low. I have mine set at More. I found that Normal left out enough side streets that I couldn't rely on looking at the map and counting the number of them to the one I wanted to turn on (eg: looking at the map and seeing 3rd right when it was actually the 4th because a short alley was not displayed).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I thought that I had seen it mention something that I was approaching a few times - but these occasions are few and far between - I only very rarely use just a track. It certainly says some thing if you load a track and select Go! But then you get a magenta line and it knows where you are heading.
Two example here app.php/ZXT-P48

But if you load a track and don't select Go! - it is just displayed on the screen. I thought I had observed something, but I cannot be sure.
It know where you are and it know what is up ahead. So it is possible. It's no good, I am going to have to find out now !!