Post by raza »

litesport
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Re: My new (2nd hand) 590.

Post by litesport »

@raza Thank you for the link

Do you have any experience with these maps? I will try them later this week.
raza
Been liked: 7 times
Slovenia

Post by raza »

I uploaded them to three friends who were traveling there and none of them had any problems. They are all back….
IMG_8509.jpg
IMG_8509.jpg (287.89 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
This is the trace of the last female traveler who returned a few days ago.
litesport
Australia

Post by litesport »

@raza Would it be possible for the female traveler to share her gpx file for the Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan section of her journey?
If not, no worries.
litesport
Australia

Post by litesport »

So I have made a route that I wish to upload to my Zumo 590, see attached files.
I have added these to the main memory and not the SD card.
However, when I try to import the route, my Zumo stays on "Saving item 1 of 1 to trip planner. Calculating 0%".
And then after sometime the device shuts down.

Is my route too long?
Too many waypoints?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks.
Attachments
Route0.gpx
(3.91 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Route1.gpx
(425.13 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Route1.gpx only has seven via points, it should load without trouble. Looks good in Basecamp.

Route0.gpx has 7148 via points. A Zumo 590 will attempt to split it into multiple routes of no more than 30 points each, but I think this route is just too much for it to handle. The 590 is trying to process this one first and it is crashing.

Basecamp is showing Route0 as over 23,000 miles with some very strange results. I realize I am viewing it with a non-routable OSM map, but this still looks very strange as it seems to be trying to follow a direct path while making side trips to the actual road.

If this was somehow converted from a track, I'd probably try to just follow that original track.

If you have found a routable map somewhere, I'd probably recreate the route from scratch. I don't know what the actual mileage should be, but I'd aim for no more than one day of riding per route. Typically, you would then need less than ten via points per route and would be able to use as many as 125 shaping points between any pair of via points.
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just been looking at the gpx files - I don't have the maps of the areas concerned.

A few things stick out as being problematic.

Route0.gpx has thousands of route points - but these are all shaping points except the first and last, which are set as Via Points. This contradicts what Larry has just said about them all being Vias - but in the gpx text there are only two of the points that are flagged as Via. When imported into Basecamp, the column is labelled (Via Points), but that is a hang over from Mapsource, which was never corrected.

The shaping points are all plotted extremely closely together - ie 7,148 points over 755 miles - 9 shaping points per mile - which is rather excessive.

The header to the gpx file says gpx creator="Garmin Desktop App" - This how BAsecamp flags the gpx file when it attempts to convert a track to a Route. All it does is change every track point into a shaping point - except the start and finish which are via points.

It looks as though that is what has been done with this route.

You have two options worth considering.

1) Load the track and just show that on the Z590 screen. You can change the colour and the width to make it easier to see. This will not give you any instructions.

2) Build a new route in Basecamp using the track as a guide. In Basecamp, take your original track, or create a track from your route, and show it on the Basecamp screen in a colour of your choosing. Then Place a route point (flag waypoint) at the start and a route point at the end - placed precisely by zooming in on the map. (Actually - better to place the first point a little further dwon the road from the start.) Calculate the route.

Then locate a few identifiable places on the track that you need the route to pass through. Use the insert tool to drag the route to each point that you have identified - the track will show you where the original route goes. After each new point is added, the magenta route will recalculate to get closer to the track that you have on the screen. The idea is to have enough route points to make Basecamp calculate a route that uses the same roads as the track. If the route is going over a mountain pass, then usually a point that is a HAlf way up one side and half way down the other is enough to force the route to follow the roads that you want.

Double click the route and in the dialogue box that opens, select the Route Options tab. Select the Cutomize Route Options button rather than the one that assigns a profile. Select the vehicle to be motorcycle, route preference to faster time and untick every other check box. Never mind about the speeds. Close the dialogue box.

This is important as it is now WInter. You are probably planning a route for Summer. But Basecamp knows that it is winter, and one of the options is to avoid seasonal closures - if Basecamp is preventing you from going over a summit, this is probably the reason.

IF there are a lot of alternative roads around, then you will need more points. If not, you will need less. Most of my routes contain 3-4 Via points and I very rarely need to use more than 3 shaping points between via points.

The idea is to end up with a route on Basecamp that completely covers the track of the original.

In Basecamp, make sure that the map you are Using is the same as the map that you have on the Zumo, and recalculate the route.

Go to Edit / Options / Device Transfer and untick any boxes that are checked. Then select Apply to all devices.

You will probably want some of the route points to be set as Via Points. Usually places that you would want to stop. Set these points to be alerting.
You may want to name the route points to something that you recognise.

On the Zumo, set the navigation to Faster time, no avoidances.

Transfer the route and the track to the Zumo.

You can show the route and the track on the Zumo at the same time. If the Zumo decides that it wants to calculate a different route (IT may do, but the 590 is pretty good at calculating the same route that Basecamp did) - then you have the track which will show you where the original route went.

I have probably given you more questions than answers - but you can ask about specific things later. Try the above with a few points, send it to your Zumo to convince yourself that you have a route that works.

As a newbie to the Zumo 590, you might find this document handy. Download the pdf.
viewtopic.php?t=521

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
litesport
Australia

Post by litesport »

@jfheath and @lkraus thank you both for your detailed replies.
The route certainly isn’t over 23000 miles! Closer to 1200km.
Anyway, I’ll do as suggested later in the week when I get over this blasted flu that’s doing the rounds here.
litesport
Australia

Post by litesport »

Apologies for being late with my replies, life got in the way as it often does.
So following advice posted here I was able to import a track into by Zumo and use the Zumo to convert that to a route. It appears to have worked so all good so far.
Issue is the map details when I zoom in. So now let me apologize for a rambling, image heavy post…
I bought a Tajikistan map from Talkytoaster.me.uk and using Javawa, installed the map onto my Zumo. I thought Javawa would install the map into my sd card but it has placed the map into the Zumo itself. It is also flaging a transparency error.
01 Javawa.jpg
01 Javawa.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Basecamp can see and display the map off of my Zumo and it is quite detailed.
02 basecamp.jpg
02 basecamp.jpg (224.56 KiB) Viewed 362 times
03 basecamp detiled.jpg
03 basecamp detiled.jpg (737.49 KiB) Viewed 362 times
BUT!!! My Zumo says there are 2 copies of the map installed.
04 Two copies.jpg
04 Two copies.jpg (299.66 KiB) Viewed 362 times
And as I zoom in on the map there is less and less (no) detail.

05 Some detail.jpg
05 Some detail.jpg (328.71 KiB) Viewed 362 times
What am I doing wrong, any suggestions?
Attachments
06 No detail.jpg
06 No detail.jpg (272.52 KiB) Viewed 362 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't know - but I would turn off all other maps to start off with. There is always an issue if two different maps cover the same area. Your OSM maps are probably a different area, but It is still worth trying.

The two OSM maps 'may' cover different areas, but I would try turning off one, then the other to check.

Check the map detail option for your 590. It has 3 levels. Settings -> Map & Vehicle.

[Edit] - With the Zumo attached, Basecamp should be able to select the OSM map on your 590 as well as the OSM map on your computer. Select the one that is on the 590. How do you know which is which ? You don't. Choose one. If you have chosen the one on the Zumo, it will tell you that there is one on the computer, do you want to use that instead? No you don't. You want to use the one on the Zumo.

It will be slow accessing it, but zoom in to the same place. if the amount of detail on the Zumo is different from the amount of detail on the PC map, then you have a map problem. If it is the same, then the map on the Zumo is not at fault, so it must be something on the 590 itself. A setting maybe or maybe it needs a little more time to refresh the screen. I don't know. I'm clutching at straws !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.