Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Post by Peobody »

jPortable downloads a functioning version of JRE (182 MB). I placed it on a flash drive and ran SetTripsToSaved on it. It worked, but its "Open" window (its directory structure navigation window) is noticeably smaller than when run with JDK, almost too small for my old eyes.
SetTripsToSaved_JRE.JPG
SetTripsToSaved_JRE.JPG (91.26 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
SetTripsToSaved_JDK.JPG
SetTripsToSaved_JDK.JPG (250.03 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
My only other comment is that it would be nice if the .trip files were displayed in the "Open" window.

Edit: Sorry macOS users. I did not find JRE portable for you.
jPortable source: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

One more edit: The window size issue is associated with DPI. It can be significantly improved by adjusting a high DPI setting for java.exe to override high DPI scaling behavior.
FWIW, I run my 1920x1280 laptop at 125% scaling.
Java JRE DPI fix.jpg
Java JRE DPI fix.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Interesting - if I could follow the acronyms

JDK - Java Development Kit ??
JRE - is that the run time version ??
DPI - I haven't got a clue

Is the issue with Java that it doesn't protect a the browser's computer from being accessed by the prgram on the webiste ??
I know very little about Java.

I knew a reasonable amount about C++ builder and wrote a few applications - but it was 20 years ago. Since then I've only used the PHP language for websites. FrankB's programs have nudged me to re-investigate the stuff that I once new. And I've forgotten it all. Only last year I chucked all of my notes away thinking - I won't need those again. Well - I don't need them for anything serious, but for fun .... Some people like puzzles, reading books. I like projects for programming - amongst other things.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

JRE = Java Runtime Environment. Runs Java programs and Java website content. Can't create Java content with it.
DPI = Dots Per Inch. In this case pertaining to screen resolution.

I know what you mean about "stuff you once knew". I once had a limited knowledge of Cobal and Assembler but that is long gone. Years ago II wrote an extensive purchase order program in VBA for Excel 2003. I would not want to try to do it now. I was dependent on .bat script automation at the office. I don't feel like I have lost much of that after 2 years retired. I never figured out PowerShell although I admit to not putting much effort into it since I could accomplish everything I needed with batch files.
Fourbears
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Having read through this thread I am not sure whether the software that changes a byte has to be used on every route that is imported or if it changes it on the XT so that all routes are changed to prevent the RUT that it is so fond of. So can anyone enlighten me?
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Assuming I understand your question correctly, I would answer "For every imported route (a trip called on the XT) the program has to modify the flag".

In any case it is not altering the software of the XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Fourbears wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:09 pm Having read through this thread I am not sure whether the software that changes a byte has to be used on every route that is imported or if it changes it on the XT so that all routes are changed to prevent the RUT that it is so fond of. So can anyone enlighten me?
To be clear, when a route is transferred to the XT, regardless of how, the XT must 'import' it. Imported routes are stored as .trip files on the XT. Each one of these .trip files must be modified.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Added a link to ukgser explaining how to change the behaviour on the XT. Very nice catch! See: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2301

@Stu Thanks for notifying.
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

One question: If I import from Basecamp into the Zumo only the track, then: Main screen -> Track -> Track icon -> Select track -> Wrench -> Convert on the go -> Choose direction -> Assign a name. Do I get the same result? It's as if it was created on the Zumo. So not imported but "Saved trip"
Another request: can some friends post screenshots of the procedure with the zip file?
Windows 10.
Thank
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Raf - if the created route is saved under 'Saved routes' the flag should not be set and it should(!) behave as a route created on the Zumo XT itself....

But(!) - the problem with converted tracks in my mind is, that they contain neither via- nor shaping points except start and end point! So i think, if such a converted track will be recalculated because of leaving the route, it will, using the chosen settings on the Zumo XT, recalculated completely new until the finish...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:56 am Do I get the same result? It's as if it was created on the Zumo. So not imported but "Saved trip"
Not based on my tests. Converting at track to a route on the XT resulted in the route still being listed as an Imported trip.
Raf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:56 am Another request: can some friends post screenshots of the procedure with the zip file?
When Frank's program is run it simply pops up a file chooser dialog in which you select the folder that contains the original .trip files and it modifies them. It does not display the .trip files in the file chooser dialog nor do you have the option to keep the originals and produce modified files with a different name. It works fine once you understand it. If you need help getting it to run then I suggest pushing the "Easy" button and using the online tool. https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2323
Last edited by Peobody on Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.