Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by PaulaRay »

Well...... Been trying to get the 595LM to mount. No luck. I tried different cords, ports. I removed my SD card to see if that would make a difference. After I did that, I received the following pop up (below). I'm glad I copied it because I couldn't get that pop up again after several more tries of getting it to mount. I was very careful not to remove anything important. I do have everything that was on the Garmin Drive backed up but, I can't even load that to try due to it ejecting itself within 15 seconds or so. Currently at a loss.... Just when things were looking up. 🤬
Missing File.jpg
Missing File.jpg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
Currently on my Garmin SD Card.jpg
Currently on my Garmin SD Card.jpg (365.68 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The xml file if missing is recreated when you boot your device. You may also want to ensure its fully charged.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:48 pm The xml file if missing is recreated when you boot your device. You may also want to ensure its fully charged.
The battery shows fully charged when the 595LM is plugged in to the MacBook or wall charger. I have tried to fix the pins on the harness in the past in which the battery connection works sometimes and other times it won't. Right now, I can't turn the 595LM on independently. It has to be hooked up to a charger or MacBook. With that being the case, maybe that's why it won't mount properly. Thanks for explaining the .xml.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

I've had a connection issue for quite some time which was resolved for the most part, I'm sure you remember JFHeath. It's hard to believe that it's the hub I'm using but, maybe. Here's the post I had on it here in the forum; viewtopic.php?t=1661
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

FINALLY!! After trying a million and one things, I finally got it to stay mounted. Luckily, I was able to do so through Garmin Express with a backup from March 6th. I had to try it several times within approx. 15 seconds due to the drive ejecting itself. I got lucky and got the backup completed before it was going to eject itself. Wheeeew....... :roll: I moved the entire Map folder into the SD Card Garmin folder. In addition, I deleted all of the .gma and .unl files except the ones that went with one .img file. I now have 2.79GB free space available!! That's HUGE compared to only having 357.7MB Free before. :o :shock:
You two are more than Awesome!!! There's no way in hell, I could have done this without you!!! I Sincerely Appreciate your time, knowledge and patience in helping me out!!! You're truly an Awesome asset to this forums community.
THANK YOU!!!!! 🤗

2.79GB Available.jpg
2.79GB Available.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Garmin SD Card 600.1 MB.jpg
Garmin SD Card 600.1 MB.jpg (384.74 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Attachments
Full.jpg
Full.jpg (214.21 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad it's now sorted :D
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

👍
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad it is sorted. Well done for sticking with it.

My 595 has 16Gb memory, not just 8Gb. It looks like they may have updated it at some point due to the problems that it was causing.
(nb this is a genuine 595, not a 590 running 595 software - the battery connection broke on that model and my 'repairs' failed).

So in future, for 595 users, its worth asking the question - as clearly there are two different variants.
Zumo 595 Memory.jpg
Zumo 595 Memory.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
A Tip .....

When connecting the USB cable, make sure that the zumo is not resting on its back supported ny the USB plug. I believe that this puts a strain on the connection and it tends to become unreliable. Mine used to disconnect randomly and discovered that it was to do with that connection at the rear. Once I started resting it on its face, or resting it on the sides of a deep tray so that the connector wasn't touching anything, it stopped disconnecting.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

jfheath wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:53 pm Glad it is sorted. Well done for sticking with it.

My 595 has 16Gb memory, not just 8Gb. It looks like they may have updated it at some point due to the problems that it was causing.
(nb this is a genuine 595, not a 590 running 595 software - the battery connection broke on that model and my 'repairs' failed).

So in future, for 595 users, its worth asking the question - as clearly there are two different variants.

Zumo 595 Memory.jpg

A Tip .....

When connecting the USB cable, make sure that the zumo is not resting on its back supported ny the USB plug. I believe that this puts a strain on the connection and it tends to become unreliable. Mine used to disconnect randomly and discovered that it was to do with that connection at the rear. Once I started resting it on its face, or resting it on the sides of a deep tray so that the connector wasn't touching anything, it stopped disconnecting.
Thanks for the information.... My Zumo is an actual 595LM with 8GB purchased back in August of 2017. I went through the battery harness pin fix also but, really didn't help much due to being so sporadic without AC power. I would call it a failure as well. The battery does take a charge when connected to power but, it doesn't want to turn on 90% of the time on its own. As for the jinky Micro USB connection port on the Zumo 595LM, my 8 year old grandson could have done a much better job. I have always leaned the Zumo onto something without leaning it on the connection. If I haven't, I'm sure it would have broke the inner pin connection within a few months.
Heres the kicker to all of this and why I'm so upset with the Garmin Zumo 595LM. I had the original Garmin 276c (before the 276cx) gps that I purchased back in January of 2005. I used it until I purchased my 595LM 12 years later. The 276c was flawless until the internal battery went out (which can be replaced). I used that GPS for many, many cross country trips along with hundred's of routes with unlimited waypoints. Of course, I was on a Windows PC's back then using Mapsource which I.M.O. was waaaay better than BC for Mac. BC, GE along with Garmin GPS's play very well with Windows due to being Intel based. Mac user's suffer with BC due to all the stuttering movement of their maps while route planning. Connecting to a Mac is a nightmare as you know from the other post I made. One work around I came across somewhere lately is if you switch from 2D to 3D, the maps act as they should without stuttering. On top of all this, which really has me upset is that Garmin Express for Windows has had the choice since August of 2020 to place Garmin Maps on their internal SD Card. Why, simply due to the same problem that we have been working on here, no internal space (see forum & Pic below). I.M.O and experience, Garmin truly has a long way to go on these GPS's tech, build and support and even longer for Mac user's. I can't speak for the latest one's after the Zumo 595LM, just the one's I have paid good money for. I'll quit whining now..... LOL. Thanks again for all your help!! I do sincerely appreciate it. Ray 👍😊

Internal or SD Card Use:
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... s.1461984/

GE Windows.jpg
GE Windows.jpg (222.48 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

A question about Trip Planner. Upon opening Trip Planner, it shows No trips are available. Create a new trip using the options menu. This is correct, I don't have any new trips to Import. However, once under Trip Planner Options > Import it shows some of the latest test routes I made. I want to permanently eliminate this list therefore, I went ahead and selected and imported them in order to delete them. Once I deleted them, they showed back up in the same list for selection once again. Is there a way to permanently delete this list? I don't want to end up with a long list of trips that I won't be using. Plus, I'm not sure if these are eating up any space as well. Thanks

TP Import.jpeg
TP Import.jpeg (274.31 KiB) Viewed 3322 times

TP Selection.jpeg
TP Selection.jpeg (287.39 KiB) Viewed 3322 times