Zumo XT "cannot calculate route" from basecamp!

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Dobis1011
United States of America

Zumo XT "cannot calculate route" from basecamp!

Post by Dobis1011 »

My Zumo XT "cannot calculate route" once transferred from Basecamp on Mac.
Help!!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT "cannot calculate route" from basecamp!

Post by sussamb »

How long is the route? How many viapoints? There is a limit as to what your device can handle, just like all Garmin devices.
Dobis1011
United States of America

Post by Dobis1011 »

The trip is 1 hour 37 minutes. Only one waypoint.
This is the first time I've used the whole set up. It's been very difficult thus far.

Maybe a setting is incorrect on Zumo?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I have got a lot of tedious questions for you before I can even guess what might be the issue.

Do you mean one routing point in addition to the start and finish - so three points in total ?

What version of map did you use on Basecamp ?
What map do you have ticked in MyMaps on the XT ?

Did you zoom in on each route point and make sure that it was accurately placed.

Did you transfer the ROUTE from Basecamp or did you create a TRACK and transfer that ?

Do you have any avoidances set on the XT that might be interfering with the route?

One issue is definitely that the XT should not even attempt to calculate the route on transfer. It suggests that either the maps are different on BC and the XT, or that your Basecamp settings are causing the problem....

Check out this video on how to set up Basecamp to start creating routes. One time job. It lasts less than 3 mins. (Although it will automatically start the next video if you don't stop it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Dobis1011 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:12 pm The trip is 1 hour 37 minutes. Only one waypoint.
This is the first time I've used the whole set up. It's been very difficult thus far.

Maybe a setting is incorrect on Zumo?
You may benefit from this if you're a new BaseCamp user

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Dobis1011
United States of America

Post by Dobis1011 »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 pm Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I have got a lot of tedious questions for you before I can even guess what might be the issue.

Do you mean one routing point in addition to the start and finish - so three points in total ?
(Yes..Start, waypoint, destination..)

What version of map did you use on Basecamp ? (4.8.12)
What map do you have ticked in MyMaps on the XT ? ((VVMap GL SNOW v10.5.0))

Did you zoom in on each route point and make sure that it was accurately placed. (yes)

Did you transfer the ROUTE from Basecamp or did you create a TRACK and transfer that ? (track)

Do you have any avoidances set on the XT that might be interfering with the route? (not sure- I will check. What would you say I should check for in that exact spot)

One issue is definitely that the XT should not even attempt to calculate the route on transfer. It suggests that either the maps are different on BC and the XT, or that your Basecamp settings are causing the problem....

Check out this video on how to set up Basecamp to start creating routes. One time job. It lasts less than 3 mins. (Although it will automatically start the next video if you don't stop it.

Thank you!
Last edited by Dobis1011 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

What version of map did you use on Basecamp ? (4.8.12)

The Map version will be something like ours in the UK - eg City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.1. I guess the 4.8.12 is a BAsecamp for Mac version ??

What map do you have ticked in MyMaps on the XT ? I will check on this.
There will be one that is similar to the version of the map in Basecamp. It MUST have the exact same number.

Did you transfer the ROUTE from Basecamp or did you create a TRACK and transfer that ? (track)
Right - here is one of the issues. Tracks look like curved lines, but they are not. They are a series of very short straight lines joined together. Each change in direction involves a plotted point. So a Track has thousands of plotted points.

But the XT will not calculate a track on transfer. It will not calculate anything when you load a track and say 'Go !'. The only time it involves any calculation is if you load the track and then convert it to a trip. That can present issues. Especially if some of those thousands of points are not plotted on a road at all - perhaps because the maps are different.

Do you have any avoidances set on the XT that might be interfering with the route?
(not sure- I will check. What would you say I should check for in that exact spot)

If you are using tracks, then this might not be relevant. But it would be relevant for routes. Avoidances are set in Settings -> Navigation -> Avoidances.
If you are trouble shooting, probably best to allow everything - to make sure that something like avoid motorways isn't causing problems when the only way to get from A to B is by motorway !

I assume that we are using the same terminology for track and route? In basecamp a route is normally magenta and shows up in the bottom left pane with a small motorcycle icon. A track is normally dark grey and shows in the lower left pane as a pair of footprints.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Dobis1011
United States of America

Post by Dobis1011 »

I've read many posts, watched many videos, watch many Garmin and basecamp tutorials.
I don't know where my problem lies.

Should it calculate my trip I sent from basecamp if I'm sitting at home but my starting point of my trip is 3 hours north of me?

I've been able to transfer one route from basecamp (it won't let me transfer any more). When I choose that saved route on garmin, I choose "go" then it asks me "next destination"..I choose one (since I don't know what that even means) then it says "cannot calculate route"...

What am I doing wrong??? I'm so confused by everything I've read and watched..
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Dobis1011 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:44 pm Should it calculate my trip I sent from basecamp if I'm sitting at home but my starting point of my trip is 3 hours north of me?
It should not calculate any route when it is first transferred to the XT.
If it does, then it is either because the some of the settings in Edit - Options - Device Transfer are ticked (untick them all)
Or - because the map on the Zumo is not the identical map to the one that you used in Basecamp.
It might help to make sure that you have Motorcycle and Faster time set in you BAsecamp route.

It might also do this if you XT has additional maps loaded - eg OSM maps - but from your earlier description, that doesn't sound likley.

However. If you have loaded a route from Trip Planner, selected Go ! and then told it the next destination is your start point, then it will then do some calculations. In this example, the main calculation is to build a route from your current position to your start point 30 miles away.
SOmetimes the calculation take juts a couple of seconds while it is working out times and distances.

Dobis1011 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:44 pm I've been able to transfer one route from basecamp (it won't let me transfer any more). When I choose that saved route on garmin, I choose "go" then it asks me "next destination"..I choose one (since I don't know what that even means) then it says "cannot calculate route"...
I don't understand why it wont let you transfer more than one route. Maybe there is something wrong with the way that you are doing it ?
Can you describe briefly how you transferring your route(s) ? There is clearly something that I am missing.

When you select a route in the XT and select Go ! the XT will ask for your next destination. This is the point at which you want to join the route. It will give you a list of all of the Via Points in your route. (Note that Via Points are route points that you have created that you have set to announce on arrival in Basecamp). It doesn't show any other points that have not been set to announce on arrival. They are called Shaping Points.

Typically, you will choose the start point of a route. The XT will navigate you to the point that you select - in its own way. It will then pick up the route and follow it from that point onwards. So if you select the start (which is sometimes shown off the top of the screen, so you have to scroll to see it) - it will navigate you to the start and then follow the route from there. It makes good sense to have the start point located ahead of the location that you get on the bike - if it is behind you, it will start off by wanting to turn round and go back to it. And if U turns are not allowed, this can sometimes cause it issues.

If you haven't already spotted this set of pages on this site, they are worth a look. Plenty of illustrations. The first 4 sections relate to this query.

viewtopic.php?t=1464

Let us know if there is something I have said here that disagrees with what you have experienced. We are just trying to understand why you are having this problem. But matching maps, Basecamp settings, and navigation settings on the XT are all likley candidates.

Can I suggest trying something straight forward first. Create a simple short route in Basecamp. A start and an end. Say 10 miles starting about a mile from where you are sitting at home with your XT.

Transfer it to the Zumo XT.
Then import it.
Then load it from Trip Planner and say Go !.

What happens ?

rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Dobis1011 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:44 pm I've read many posts, watched many videos, watch many Garmin and basecamp tutorials.
I don't know where my problem lies.

Should it calculate my trip I sent from basecamp if I'm sitting at home but my starting point of my trip is 3 hours north of me?

I've been able to transfer one route from basecamp (it won't let me transfer any more). When I choose that saved route on garmin, I choose "go" then it asks me "next destination"..I choose one (since I don't know what that even means) then it says "cannot calculate route"...

What am I doing wrong??? I'm so confused by everything I've read and watched..
I think having the starting point so far away is your problem. My XT often "can not calculate" when the start point is less than 4 miles away.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A