question of which version I am using

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

question of which version I am using

Post by rufasim »

I have an issue that I can not solve, but I think I might know the answer to. I just loaded basecamp onto a second computer, a laptop that I plan on taking with me on my trips. The logos of on both computers are different. The desk top logo looks normal, just like itg shows when you look it up on the interwebs. the one on the laptop look the same except the appears to be a flag of blue and yellow triangles on the lower right quadrant of the compass. I am wondering if that is an older version which is not allowing me to unlock my maps.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 202 times
United States of America

Re: question of which version I am using

Post by rbentnail »

There's a couple threads about unlocking maps with new downloads.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 315 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Where did you load BaseCamp from? If the Garmin website it will be the latest version. What maps can't you unlock and how did you install them?
rufasim
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I got the basecamp directly from garmin and loaded north american 2023.2 from my zumo
sussamb
Has liked: 315 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well you can't 'load' from your Zumo. What you can do is read the maps from your Zumo, can you do that?

Ideally you should use Express to install the map to your PC for BaseCamp to use.

As for versions, if you loaded it to your laptop from Garmin then it'll be the latest, if you want both to be the same then update the other one.
rufasim
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

If I have my zumo plugged in to the computer, I can see the map and use it. Okay, I guess I have to figure out how to down load maps top he computer. Should I delete that maps that are in basecamp now? Maybe I will just uninstall basecamp and express and start from scratch
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The current Basecamp version is 4.7.4. Like most Windows programs, you can find your installed version number by clicking Help>About.

With your GPS plugged into the computer, install the map to your PC using Garmin Express. From the page for your device, click Map Details, then Options for the City Navigator map, then Install to Computer.

Old maps can be removed from the computer just like uninstalling a program: PC Settings>Apps>Apps & Features. This will save several Gb of storage per map.

You really want the exact same map on the PC and XT for fast access in Basecamp and to prevent the XT from recalculating your routes.
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I got it to work. First thing I did was to uninstall everything, basecamp and express. While that was taking place, I looked up and noticed that it will only install the latest map. There has been a map update that I wasn't sure I wanted to install, but I guess that I had to. I updated the zumo on my desk top while my laptop was uninstalling the other programs. I reloaded basecamp and express along with the new maps on the laptop, and viola, works perfectly. I now have a computer that I can bring along on my trips and either make adjustments to routes that I have, or plan new routes. I know I can do all this directly on the zumo itself, but I prefer to use the computer. I am not the type of person to look things up on my phone either. The last thing I did was update the map on my desk top so all 3 devices are the same.
This is an old lap top that I haven't used in years. I brought it to a friend and had the hard drive wiped and reinstall the os. Added a bit more memory and a new battery and now I have the perfect travel computer for a mere $60. A bit on the slow side but great for what I want it for. Thanks for all the help that you guys gave. I really appreciate it