Learning and using Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Re: Learning and using Basecamp

Post by sussamb »

Weird. Never seen a locked map message in over 10 years. Where are you seeing it? Not an home right now but believe BaseCamp shows a locked message for all CN maps as they are locked in some way, either to the device or a card, but BaseCamp can still use them.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sussamb wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:54 pm Weird. Never seen a locked map message in over 10 years. Where are you seeing it? Not an home right now but believe BaseCamp shows a locked message for all CN maps as they are locked in some way, either to the device or a card, but BaseCamp can still use them.
If I open up Basecamp then it tells me that the City Nav maps are locked, in Map Product Manager, and don't show on the screen. I have another laptop and it shows exactly the same data in the Map Product Manager dialogue box, apart from the maps are "unlocked".
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

As previously mentioned, the version of GE is important. Insure that you are running GE v7.7.1.1 or greater. If you are, try installing the map to the PC again with your user privileges temporarily elevated to administrator.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Peobody wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:31 pm As previously mentioned, the version of GE is important. Insure that you are running GE v7.7.1.1 or greater. If you are, try installing the map to the PC again with your user privileges temporarily elevated to administrator.
Already done that. So updated GE to 7.8.1, now the maps won't even download, when run as an administrator or not :roll:
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Oop North John wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 am Already done that. So updated GE to 7.8.1, now the maps won't even download, when run as an administrator or not
Run as administrator is different from running logged as you but with your privileges elevated to administrator.
What is happening is that when you run as administrator, GE is using its profile in the PC's administrator account and not the one in your PC user account. Additionally, run as admin allows it to write to Windows protected system directories but it does so in such a way that a standard user account can't access those files.
On top of that, attempts to re-install or update GE as a different PC user than previous installs or update results in a mis-match between those installations (eg: installation when logged in as PC admin or run as admin vs. upgrade when logged in as you with privileges elevated to admin). This is why I believe GE installation and all subsequent upgrades should be done logged in as you with privileges temporarily elevated to admin.

Garmin is not the only one whose software installation is flawed like this. The Slimjet browser does the same. It requires admin privileges to install but running the installer as admin results in a the creation of a Slimjet user profile for the PC administrator not the logged in standard user. Well behaved software is designed to either install in a way that makes it available to all users, or prompts for installation only for current user or for all users of the PC.

My suggestion is to uninstall GE, elevate your PC user privileges to administrator, log in as you, install GE, then reset your PC user privileges back to standard. From then on, always temporarily elevate your user privileges to administrator before upgrading GE or maps. Note: I don't know if uninstalling GE will completely remove it without an additional uninstaller tool or some other manual cleanup. You will need to research that or someone will provide some insight about that.

BIGGER NOTE: I may be way off base about this. It is based on what I observed when trying to overcome problems encountered when I first attempted to use GE and the fact that I haven't had any problems since I started following this procedure.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.