XT - Tracks - Maximum number of points

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Tank30
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

XT - Tracks - Maximum number of points

Post by Tank30 »

Is there a maximum number of points in a Track that the XT will show?
I recently received a 240 mile Track with 19,000 points, which whilst it showed up on BaseCamp in it's entirety, was curtailed by about 50 miles when showing on the XT. I reduced the number of points to get it to show up fully.
I usually set a maximum of around 6000 points when creating a Track from a Route/Trip, but I wondered if there is an actual maximum number of points that is stipulated anywhere for Tracks to show on an XT?
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Re: XT - Tracks - Maximum number of points

Post by jfheath »

Yes - according to Garmin, the maximum is 10,000 points per track for the XT.

See previous question and answers here. https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1945

I've just tried an experiment - Lands end to John O'groats - The Bottom SW corner to the top NE corner of UK mainland. Converted to a Track gives 9,187 points - for a route of 837 miles.

I suspect that your track may have come from someone's track log. The Zumo records points at varying rates, but mostly every second or two. Very occasionally on straight roads, it may take a rest for 10 seconds.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Tank30
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Tank30 »

Thank you, that is useful. I am just reading your very detailed and useful guide on the XT and BaseCamp.

In BaseCamp,to reduce the number of points in a Track already created, I have used Filter and then set the maximum number of points.

If creating a Track from a Route I have made, is there a way to select the maximum number of points for the Track before it is created?
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Tank30 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:01 pm Thank you, that is useful. I am just reading your very detailed and useful guide on the XT and BaseCamp.

In BaseCamp,to reduce the number of points in a Track already created, I have used Filter and then set the maximum number of points.

If creating a Track from a Route I have made, is there a way to select the maximum number of points for the Track before it is created?
Not that I know of. But you create the route - which has thousands of invisible points anyway.
Use that to create the track - which uses every single one of those invisible points and calls them track points instead.
Then apply the filter. It removes them in proportion - so if you specify 200 points and it actually has 60 then it will discard two and keep the third.

Incidentally - I just extended my route to head back to the SE corner of UK. That track has 19,652 points. But when imported it stopped the track just after crossing the Scottish border, heading back south again. I was able to zoom in on that on the XT and (almost) pinpoint the last track point in Basecamp.

It was far too close to point number 14999 to be a coincidence. In fact the entire track had been transferred to the XT. It is the version that has been imported into the XT working memory that is truncated. When it went past 10,000 I thought it would stop just before 16384 - which is a nice round number in binary. No. Just before 15,000.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The number I have in my notes on Zumo specifications is 15,000 points per track for a Zumo 590/595/39x/XT. I can't provide a source, but I think I found that number in several locations. Maybe the count starts with zero instead of one?

Also, there is the mysterious "GarminDevice" file on the XT which contains this section:

Code: Select all

HTML:
xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/CustomMaps/v1">
            <MaxImages>400</MaxImages>
            <MaxImageFileSize>3145728</MaxImageFileSize>
            <AllowedFileType>jpg</AllowedFileType>
        </CustomExtension>
        <LimitExtension xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/Limits/v1">
            <MaxRoutes>100</MaxRoutes>
            <MaxRoutePts>5971</MaxRoutePts>
            <MaxShapingPtsBetweenVias>198</MaxShapingPtsBetweenVias>
            <MaxRouteName>36</MaxRouteName>
            <MaxSysRtePts>20000</MaxSysRtePts>
            <MaxWaypoints>1000</MaxWaypoints>
            <MaxWptName>120</MaxWptName>
            <WptNameUnique>1</WptNameUnique>
            <MaxTracks>200</MaxTracks>
            <MaxTrackPts>15000</MaxTrackPts>
            <MaxTrackName>36</MaxTrackName>
            <MaxMapTilesPerFile>400</MaxMapTilesPerFile>
            <MaxImgFileMbSize>3</MaxImgFileMbSize>
            <MaxJnxFiles>250</MaxJnxFiles>
            <MaxJnxTiles>5000</MaxJnxTiles>
        </LimitExtension> 

I really don't know if this file sets the limits, or simply states the limits existing elsewhere in firmware or software.

Some of those values match the limits I've seen elsewhere, some are higher than I expect. MaxShapingPtsBetweenVias, for instance, is commonly said to be 125, not 198.

But, MaxRoutePts-Start-End-Vias= 5971-1-1-29= 5940 RoutePts

5940/198=30, the number of intervals for shaping points between Start/Via1/Via2/.../.../Via28/Via29/End.

All of the values are much higher than I've ever needed, so I have not tried to test these limits for validity.

:?: :?: :?: