Music stops and getting unwanted U turns ZUMO XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
7andMoto
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Music stops and getting unwanted U turns ZUMO XT

Post by 7andMoto »

I've been using the ZUMO XT for a while. Quickly learned that the simpler the connections (don't include Andriod phone anymore)and shutting off all the nanny alerts, made the Zumo perform better with imported GPX routes. I have been using Mapsource to build routes and uploading to the ZUMO and it was performing well.The Zumo easily converted the file to a saved trip. I also have my MP3 music loaded onto the Zumo so that it can control the music and NAV. I have a Sena20S head set setup in my helmet - paired to the Zumo.

Everything was fine until a recent update to the ZUMO XT. While following a saved trip, the ZUMO would randomly direct me off the track and ultimately tell me to U-Turn to get back on. Did this multiple times during a simple 130 mile track - with no rhyme or reason why it was doing this. The Zumo also randomely would stop playing music after a turn notice - not all the time just every once in a while.

I had to shut the ZUMO off and restart to get the music to start playing again and the random U-turn issue would go away for a while. Unfortunately, the ZUMO would act up again causing me to stop and re-boot. Not fun.........

I installed Basecamp after this experience thinking this type of file might work better than uploading the GPX format. I have not tried this yet and looking for others experiences using these two formats. Is one now better than the other? Any Ideas on what may be going on with the ZUMO XT?
Multiple Bikes
1 Zumo XT used on all
Android Phone
Sena S20
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Music stops and getting unwanted U turns ZUMO XT

Post by rbentnail »

Another way to view what you are describing:

the XT is following the route precisely as designed. It's just that the points it is going to aren't placed perfectly on the road where you want to be.

On the XT, I'd go to GPS Simulator (Settings/Navigation) and start the route. Then I'd zoom all the way in, as far as it will let me and trace the route to make sure every point is exactly where I want it. I haven't used Mapsource in many yrs, but the same process is a cinch with Base Camp.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
7andMoto
United States of America

Post by 7andMoto »

Interesting Russ, thank you for the response. I've never had that issue until now, but to your point, the route was followed precisely with no issues until the last XT maps update. Now it drives me off the route at random times even if there is no point placed at the location where I was asked to leave the route. My hardware version is V9 Pv3 DT R512S and My software version is 6.60 if that helps. I double checked for updates again and got an "up to date" response.

Regardless, I did pull up the route and double checked as you recommended and when I zoomed up at the points I was directed off, I could see that the track was off the road in the map - almost looked like a pixilation issue though. Weird. I like the twisties so there were alot of corners with this issue.

Typically I just pick enough points to complete the route. Like a point at a turn needed. Then I would let the program set the route till my next chosen turn. I'm going to rebuild the route using Basecamp and then upload it to the XT to see if that fixes this. Might be just the difference a newer program can fix? Good lord this thing is finicky! My cell phone is easier to deal with than the XT.
Multiple Bikes
1 Zumo XT used on all
Android Phone
Sena S20
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Was the route recalculated in Mapsource with the new map, before transferring it to the XT?
Last edited by lkraus on Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I find that with most (but oddly, not all) map updates, I need to recalculate existing routes in Basecamp and then transfer to my XT. This can be a PITA because they then need (I think) to be "fixed" using the JaVaWa tool to prevent repeated U-turns, but that inconvenience is less than having the route go wacky during a trip.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The other 'repair' to prevent the XT from doing this is to load it up, say Go !, and then go to Trip Planner and resave it with a new name.

The Zumo XT adds a new point to the begininning of the route. That is your current location. Presumably the original start is not so far away. In the trip planner the newly saved route is listed as 'Saved', rather than 'Imported'. Load it up, start it. Select your original start point as the next destination. Susbsequently, if you deviated from the route the XT will then navigate to the next route, rather than getting you to go back to the original plotted route. (It may intially want to take you back - if that way is faster - but it will start to navigate ahead to the next route point as it realises that the route ahead is now faster.

I recently added to my pages regarding the XT. This information is provided on Page 103 in Section 12 - with some pics showing what I have just described.

app.php/ZXT-P103

• The pages follwng the above link go into much more detail about how the problem looks on a long trip, and my analysis and conclusions about what I believe that it is doing. The above fix - which can be done on your XT, eg the night before you set off - takes less than 1 minute per route has been tried and tested and it has worked every time for me on some test routes which would normally fail.
  • The Java solution works equally well - but yes you can only apply it after you have imported the route on the Zumo, and you have to reconnect the Zumo to the computer again, in order to perform the necessary fix. You don't have the problem of the additional start point though - which means that you can use it at home to fix routes that start many hundreds of miles away.

Which method do I use ?

Both. If I am preparing a long route - a multi day trip. I will have them all prepared, finalised and I will use the equivalent of the Java program to make them behave properly.

If it is just for the day, or a hurridly put together route, or I forget to apply the Java fix, or I can't be bothered to plug it in again then I will use the resave method. Often sitting on the bike just before setting off. Both methods have tested equally successfully.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
7andMoto
United States of America

Post by 7andMoto »

Thanks everyone! You've confirmed my suspicions. Now to execute.....Let's see if I have this right....Run a route through a second program... tilt my head to the left while gritting my teeth, making sure my back is to the sun....and push the the button's in the correct sequence....and pray for the best.....Scheesh.

I can't believe I'm going through all this for some relaxing enjoyable mortorcycle riding??? Something is wrong with me.....
Multiple Bikes
1 Zumo XT used on all
Android Phone
Sena S20
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

7andMoto wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 pm Thanks everyone! You've confirmed my suspicions. Now to execute.....Let's see if I have this right....Run a route through a second program... tilt my head to the left while gritting my teeth, making sure my back is to the sun....and push the the button's in the correct sequence....and pray for the best.....Scheesh.

I can't believe I'm going through all this for some relaxing enjoyable mortorcycle riding??? Something is wrong with me.....
Ha! Welcome to my world!! The XT drove me batcrap crazy until I learned some of the quirks. 'Skip' is one.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The XT is fine for getting you to a destination, provided you let it control how you get there. If you want control, a good bit of hoop-jumping is required, and even then, it's crap shoot. The hoop-jumping only increases your chances that the XT is not going to add some aggravation during the ride.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

7andMoto wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 pm Thanks everyone! You've confirmed my suspicions. Now to execute.....Let's see if I have this right....Run a route through a second program... tilt my head to the left while gritting my teeth, making sure my back is to the sun....and push the the button's in the correct sequence....and pray for the best.....Scheesh.

Or simply read the top line in my post just above yours. It takes about 30 seconds to do it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.