Which GPS To Buy Now

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Which GPS To Buy Now

Post by jfheath »

twowheelstom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:07 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:54 am I will certainly never buy an XT2 based on what I now know.
isn't an XT2 the better upgrade to the XT ?
Do you mean when changing from an earlier Zumo eg from 34x, 39x or 59x ??

It's difficult to say - I don't think that there is anyone on this site (yet) who can make a strong comparison one way or the other between the XT and XT2. The XT was a massive improvement in some ways over the previous Zumo 595 - in terms of screen visibility, processing speed and some very interesting devlopment in the use of tracks and route planning tools.

Personally, I am keen to get my hands on an XT2 - but I am not going to buy one without knowing whether or not they have addressed some of the issues that the XT has. I would probably take the plunge if I had the Zumo 590 or the 595 - but I'd keep the originals.

I don't believe every negative thing that I have read about the XT2, but without some information about what is happening and in what circumstances, it is impossible to comment one way or the other.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I don't know that the XT2 is intended to be an upgrade to the XT. It is newer, and has some additional features which are mainly aimed at the off-road rider, and uses the Tread app. For a street rider, I don't see any advantages that would make the higher cost of the XT2 worthwhile.
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by JD Hog »

Here is a comparison between the XT and XT2 from the Garmin Website.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/compare/?c ... uct=679804

I do love my XT and have added this locking device that works for XT and XT2
https://www.motopumps.com/shop/zumo-xt-security-lock
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:07 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:54 am I will certainly never buy an XT2 based on what I now know.
isn't an XT2 the better upgrade to the XT ?
Not to me it isn't. The Faster Roads instead of the old Faster Time will often add miles and hrs to my desired route. It's a horrible way to route on the fly which I do often by picking a destination on the XT itself without using computer software to create a route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I apologize for asking this question again but..... I found a used Zumo 595LM for sale on Ebay. The price is $400. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but, before I push the button and make the purchase, is there anything I should know about the unit.

I have and am still using my 550, my 665 and my 660. I was going to make this my primary GPS for road trips on the bike.

I guess I do have another question or two.

Can I still use GPX files to form routes with the 595? I am not using Basecamp for route development. I have an older method that has worked for years now. But it only develops GPX files that will form the route.

GPX files are also how I sort of file routes away for future use.

Is XM radio an option on this GPS. I have not seen anything that suggests that you can use SiriusXM radio but.....

I am close to pushing the "button" on the purchase. Any feedback would be appreciated.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

carolinarider09 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 pm I apologize for asking this question again but..... I found a used Zumo 595LM for sale on Ebay. The price is $400. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but, before I push the button and make the purchase, is there anything I should know about the unit.
I have bought two recently, both boxed, both complete and in excellent condition. I paid £150 to £200

1. The battery fades extremely quickly. But they work well in the cradle. Make sure you get the cradle(s) in the uk, we have car cradles, which come with a bulit in speaker. The 590/595 do not have speakers like the 660 and XT has

They are usually LM versions eg 595LM. That means lifetime maps. Make sure you know which maps are provided with it.

Make sure it has the full wiring harness with it.

carolinarider09 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 pm I guess I do have another question or two.

Can I still use GPX files to form routes with the 595? I am not using Basecamp for route development. I have an older method that has worked for years now. But it only develops GPX files that will form the route.

GPX files are also how I sort of file routes away for future use.
Yes definitely. But the 590/595 both introduce via points and shaping points in the gpx file - different from the 660. But if you use a start and end and shaping points for the rest, the 595 will behave in a similar way to the 660. How your routing behaves otherwise will depend very much on which software you use. Basecamp is the best option, but others work - usually with compromises.
carolinarider09 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 pm Is XM radio an option on this GPS. I have not seen anything that suggests that you can use SiriusXM radio but.....

I am close to pushing the "button" on the purchase. Any feedback would be appreciated.

No - not in the ones that I have had. But we don't have XM in the Uk.
In my opinion, the 590 is a better option. The 595 introduced a couple of minor glitches. But it is still a more predictable unit in my opinion than the XT.

This will give you some additional info about routing with the later Zumos - 59x 34x 39x XTs

viewtopic.php?t=521

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.