Hello everyone

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Navi911
France

Hello everyone

Post by Navi911 »

I just discovered this forum and found a very interesting post concerning the way to use Zumo XT.
Since 2003, I owned Zumo 500, 550, 590 and the XT since a couple of days.
I use GPS both with motorcycle and car for tourism and panoramic roads, for day life, I use Waze.
I subscribed to this forum to exchange ticks and trips and good ideas 😉.
I'm french 😔 (nobody's perfect 😉)
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Hello everyone

Post by rbentnail »

Hello, and welcome to the forum from the southeast of the USA. Hope you find some helpful information and tips you need.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Welcome to the forum from another southeastern USAer. This is a great place for learning and sharing. There are lots of knowledgeable and generous folks here that are willing to help out or just talk through ideas you might have that. We'll look to benefit from your knowledge and experience as well.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
ZFtracker
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by ZFtracker »

Welcome, Navi.
Zumo 590
Montana 610
Drive 60
inReach Mini
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Welcome to the forum Navi 911. Don't apologise for the French connection, I've always enjoyed my many tours around your wonderful country.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome @Navi911

The step from the 590 to the XT is not quite as big as the step from the 550 to the 590.

Most of what applies to the 590 also applies to the XT - except that the XT has a couple of serious issues that will catch you out if you are not prepared for them.

1. If you are used to transferring routes from Basecamp, it is the same 2 stage process - transfer by USB and then import. The imported routes can be altered by the XT when fiddling around with the routes on your screen. But you can always delete and re-import the routes if you accidentally change them. Except - if you reconnect your USB cable and transfer more routes, then the previous transfers are over-written. So the tip is to transfer all of the routes that you want on your XT - even if you have previously transferred them before.

2. There are a number of ways of navigating with the XT. Choose the best one for you app.php/ZXT-P45

3. It is a good idea to create a track as well as a route. You may have doen this with the 590. Have both displayed on the map, so if the route is changed as you ride, the track become visible.

4. "Faster time" means head for the faster roads - even if it takes longer ! Create your route accodingly if you don't want to head for the main roads.

5. There is a glitch - quite a serious one - which affects routes that are not created on the XT screen. And we have a fix for it - but Garmin have yet to produce a solution. If the route recalculates when you are riding, and you then deviate from the route for some reason, the XT will forever try to get you to go to the closest point on its new route. This is usually behind you. Solution is either to apply the fix to each route or to not allow recalculations.

This link may be familiar to you - it will certainly make sense if you had a Zumo 590.
Download the pdf. viewtopic.php?t=521
From this document - I have produced a smiliar one on the XT. You can few this on this site in the link that I provided in item 2 above. Click the 'Contents' link at the top of every page.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.