Cannot Calculate Route Error

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Bowlin01
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Cannot Calculate Route Error

Post by Bowlin01 »

Hi All,

I have a track in Basecamp and I convert it to a Route. I then send it to my Zumo XT and import it. I then get a 'Cannot Calculate Route error'.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this and if there is a solution?

I thought it might be connected to the fact that I have different maps in Basecamp to those on my Zumo XT. But I cannot see any way of copying the maps on the XT onto Basecamp. Could this be the issue (i.e the Route was created in BaseCamp on a map that the XT doesn't have so it cannot calculate the route).

Is there a way of getting the maps on the XT onto Basecamp?

Grateful for any help on this.

Steve
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Cannot Calculate Route Error

Post by lkraus »

The usual way to install the City Navigator maps on your computer is to use Garmin Express and a USB cable. After Express shows the XT is up to date, click "Map Details", and then on the next screen, click " Options". One choice will be "Install to computer". Only the City Navigator maps have this option.

If you just connect the XT to the computer with a USB cable, Basecamp should be able to use the maps installed on the XT, but panning and zooming the map will be slow as the data is refreshed over the USB cable.
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

@lkraus

Many thanks for your reply, it has helped eliminate one potential problem, I now have the CN map on both Basecamp and the XT, however, I'm still having the same " Cannot Calculate Route" error.

Just for clarity this is what I am doing. I have imported a gpx. file into Basecamp, which appears as a track. I am then hitting the 'Create Route from Track' option, performing a recalculate and then sending the Route to my XT.

I import the Route to the XT and after a short period where the XT displays "Calculating" the same error "Cannot Calculate Route" appears.

Now that the maps on both the PC and the XT 'match' (both are CN 2024.10) it eliminates the issue being caused by the route being created in a map that is not on the XT.

Can any shed any light on why my XT will not calculate Route which have been converted from Tracks?? (Note that routes created in Basecamp (i.e. not imported into Basecamp as a gpx file work fine).

Grateful for any assistance.
Steve
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

What I do to avoid 'Cannot calculate Route' :

- Make sure that you have the same maps in Basecamp and the XT. (You already took care of that)
- In the XT only have that map active. More precise: You can have other maps active as long as they are not routable.
- Dont use avoidances. The only one I use is 'Unpaved'.
- Make sure you recalculate the route in Basecamp.
- Disable 'traffic'. It could be that your route has a section that is blocked.

If it doesn't work. Try recalculating the route (trip) on the XT. Set the trip first to 'Straight lines' and then back to 'Faster time'. Very likely the route will be different at some points. Maybe those points cause the error.

If it still does not work there's 'something wrong' with the route. It can be a challenge finding the error. Look for U-turns, Unpaved sections etc.

Also, as a last resort, you can send the track to the XT. On the XT open the Track App, and convert the track to a trip. My experience is that that method seldom produces the error. Drawback is that you will lose all your via/shaping points. But since you converted a track into a trip I doubt these are really of interest.

Good luck!
Bowlin01
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

Ah! Another potential 'snag'.

Although I have 'copied' the CN 2024.1 map from the XT to Basecamp it is showing as 'locked' in Basecamp.

How do I unlock this? (If I have the map on my XT surely it is already unlocked?)

Thanks
Steve
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Check out this post
viewtopic.php?t=2107

Edit;
Use Garmin Express to install the map. Dont just copy the files from your XT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:26 am If it still does not work there's 'something wrong' with the route. It can be a challenge finding the error. Look for U-turns, Unpaved sections etc.
This can be very frustrating. I suspect that a single waypoint within a route can cause the problem. My solution has been to re-create the route from scratch, including waypoints (BaseCamp). The new route is identical to the original except for the non-POI waypoints (navigational route points).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Bowlin01
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

FrankB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:19 am Check out this post
viewtopic.php?t=2107

Edit;
Use Garmin Express to install the map. Dont just copy the files from your XT
Apologies for the mis0use of 'copied', I did use Gar in Express to install the map, but it is still 'locked' in Basecamp.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Yes read this post.

viewtopic.php?t=2107

A quick summary. Find the unlockcodes on your Xt. (Gma files i believe) and import them with Javawa gmtk