Xt beginner

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
chrismckay
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Xt beginner

Post by chrismckay »

Just purchased the Zumo XT and have just switched it on and updated system and maps via wi-fi.

Couple of initial questions I would like to ask the board...

I noticed that the European map cover is split into two maps, North Europe and South Europe, does the XT switch between maps automatically based on location, for instance if I have a pre loaded route crossees from North Europe to South Europe will the device switch maps or do you need to select the map manually?

How/can I load maps onto PC to use on Basecamp without device being connected?

Chris.... :D
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Xt beginner

Post by FrankB »

chrismckay wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:22 pm I noticed that the European map cover is split into two maps, North Europe and South Europe, does the XT switch between maps automatically based on location, for instance if I have a pre loaded route crossees from North Europe to South Europe will the device switch maps or do you need to select the map manually?
Yes it does it automatically.
chrismckay wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:22 pm How/can I load maps onto PC to use on Basecamp without device being connected?
You can do that with Garmin Express. You will need a Garmin account. Look for the button Manage Maps, Somewhere at the bottom you have the option to save it to your PC. Works at least for Windows, dont know about Mac.
See also this post: viewtopic.php?t=2066
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Note too that the map on your PC will be the full map, and not split in 2 like on your device. That is only necessary due to the fact that the FAT32 format used is limited to file sizes of up to 4Gb, and both the EU and NA maps are over 4Gb so have to be split in 2.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:30 pm Note too that the map on your PC will be the full map, and not split in 2 like on your device. That is only necessary due to the fact that the FAT32 format used is limited to file sizes of up to 4Gb, and both the EU and NA maps are over 4Gb so have to be split in 2.
So thats the reason, I was wondering why they had split it into 2 regions.........
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:38 pm You can do that with Garmin Express. You will need a Garmin account. Look for the button Manage Maps, Somewhere at the bottom you have the option to save it to your PC. Works at least for Windows, dont know about Mac.
Will this work when the map was not updated using Garmin Express? I ask because the one time I allowed a map update via wifi, Garmin Express did not see it. Either my experience was a fluke, or Garmin Express polls a device on first connection and then relies on its own records from there.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Good point, possibly not as Express in the past has only deleted maps it put there, and if files are moved or renamed it won't. Hopefully with updates over WiFi Garmin has thought of that!
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Indeed an interesting question. I think, and hope, it should. But I dont have the answer. I never update the device (Maps and or Firmware) via WIFi. My desktop PC is cable connected to internet and that allows for faster and more reliable downloads compared to wifi.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

I managed to upload Eoropean 2023.2 to PC via Express.
This was done successfully after a device update beforehand via wi-fi

Chris... :D
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I've never had a problem using wifi to update my XT then connecting it via usb to my Win11 laptop and using Express to update maps on the computer. I find doing it this way takes less than 1/2 the time of doing the computer and the XT at the same time.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

How/can I load maps onto PC to use on Basecamp without device being connected
have you used basecamp before, I am well used to it and can use it quite well, but as a new user I remember it being a complete nightmare.

it might be worth having a look at Myroute app, very good route planning software and manages some of the issues that arise when transferring routes from BC to XT.

https://www.myrouteapp.com

you can sign up and use for free.
to achieve, we must first attempt