Hello from New Jersey USA

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
trepetti
United States of America

Hello from New Jersey USA

Post by trepetti »

I just purchased a Zumo XT and have put about 2 hours on it so far.... I am still trying to settle on a config that works with my Android phone and Cardo Backtalk Bold communicator, but I am so far impressed with the display and operation. I am moving up from using phone apps like Rever, Waze and Google maps, but the size of the display, the glove-friendly touchscreen and the brightness of the unit tell me I made a good choice.

I need some config advice and will post the question in the appropriate forum......
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Hello from New Jersey USA

Post by rbentnail »

Hello and welcome from a former NJ-er. Left in '77, been a long time. I've had my XT for a year or a little more and with the help of folks here have come to realize it's a little different but totally reliable when you understand its quirks. Post away!

We're having a nice conversation about Base Camp and the XT here -> phttps://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1749. Come join us!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
trepetti
United States of America

Post by trepetti »

Thanks. Took a peek at BaseCamp and put it on the todo list for now. It looks complicated which tells me that there is a lot to learn to make it simple.

On another note, I see you hail from NC. As I get closer to retirement I am looking at an escape from the Garden State, and recently visited NC to catch up with some relatives there and to see if it is a place that I could live. I thought it was beautiful. Spent most of the time in the triangle area, Cary and Durham, but everyplace I went to seemed like my kind of place...
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm a little west of the Triangle, in Asheboro. It's 3 hrs -> to the SC coast, 1 1/2 hrs ^ to the Virginia mtns and about 2 1/2 hrs <- to the NC mtns. Good central location here in rolling hills.

I started with the Base Camp predecessor so the switchover for me wasn't bad at all. I think Base Camp is as simple as it gets but I seem to do it differently from many others. There are many tutorials available- https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/. That's the one that really helped me the most starting out as it's made for the beginner. I'm slowly working through viewtopic.php?t=1464 for more details.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Welcome to the forum! I am another North Carolina guy (Charlotte area), transplanted from CT for a year in '81 and then permanently in '85. Russ referenced the best Basecamp resources that I know of for self education and these forums are awesome at providing help. The "Garmin Basecamp for PC" and "Garmin Zumo XT" forums are particularly valuable in that you can get questions answered, but more importantly, you get to see the different methods people use to accomplish things. Hope to see you there.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
trepetti
United States of America

Post by trepetti »

Thanks. I am working through the pairing options to get things to work as I like (posted a question in the Garmin Zumo XT area). Once I get past that I intend to dive into BaseCamp