For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

595 Constantly Changing My Route

Post by rbentnail »

Here's what I did:

I used Base Camp to create a route, using enough waypoints to ensure nothing got changed by the 595. I preview the route on the 595 and sure enough, the route is exactly what I want it to be. Cool beans!

Then when I get on the road traveling from my Beginning Point to my first waypoint everything is fine. After that not so good. From waypoint #1 to #2 the route has changed. And from #2 to #3 changed again. And so on, I think it would have gone on this way to the end of the route had I not grown very tired of being sent down railroad tracks (twice!), into fenced cow pastures (twice!) and through a river (once)- no I didn't actually go into any of these places, I like to think I have more sense than that! I stopped the route and using a paper map I navigated my way, completely ignoring the gps.

I can't believe this is the way my new $$$$ gps is supposed to work. Remember, I came from 9+ yrs of nuvi operation & never once did it lead me astray like this. Any suggestions of what I did wrong? Is there a setting I need to check or uncheck to keep me on route?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: 595 Constantly Changing My Route

Post by sussamb »

Strange. When you opened the route in trip planner and selected Go you're offered a choice of waypoints/viapoints depending on how many you have. How many were there? Which one did you select? If you want to follow the route you must select the first one. If you select any other one, apart from the last one, it'll take you direct to that one first, and from there should follow the route. If you select the last one it'll work out a route direct to it, ignoring your route.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:23 pm Strange. When you opened the route in trip planner and selected Go you're offered a choice of waypoints/viapoints depending on how many you have. How many were there? Which one did you select? If you want to follow the route you must select the first one. If you select any other one, apart from the last one, it'll take you direct to that one first, and from there should follow the route. If you select the last one it'll work out a route direct to it, ignoring your route.
All correct:

Where To/Trip Planner. Select route I want to travel, pick GO. I'm given a list of waypoints on the right, I pick the first one. It takes me there. Then after that not once did the gps follow the designated route from Base Camp.

One time I skipped a waypoint I had already passed, that was one of the times it wanted to take me into a pasture to get directly to the next waypoint. I remember thinking at the time,"does this thing think I'm hiking or flying?" In the bar across the top there's a motorcycle icon. In Avoidances I have selected unpaved roads.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well that's strange but I guess possible. BaseCamp passes the various points to your Zumo, and on certain parts of a route you may find it occasionally makes changes but I've never known a device make the sort of changes you mention. I always load the trip into my GPS, then look at it in BC to ensure it still goes the way I want. If not I add more points.

Are you able to post your route here?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

All routing settings the same on Basecamp and the zumo?
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm Well that's strange but I guess possible. BaseCamp passes the various points to your Zumo, and on certain parts of a route you may find it occasionally makes changes but I've never known a device make the sort of changes you mention. I always load the trip into my GPS, then look at it in BC to ensure it still goes the way I want. If not I add more points.

I learned a long time ago about adding enough way points to get the gps to keep my desired route intact. I previewed the route on the 595 and sure enough, the route was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Not sure how to post a route here. Also not sure how it will help, the route shows up on the 595 as specified, the gps just won't follow it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 pm All routing settings the same on Basecamp and the zumo?
The only routing settings I see in Base Camp are Edit/Options/Activity Profile/Routing. Are there more?

Is there a requirement to have them the same? How is this possible? Some things show up in 595 menus that are not in Base Camp and vice versa so I can't see any way of having "all routing settings the same".
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:17 pm The only routing settings I see in Base Camp are Edit/Options/Activity Profile/Routing. Are there more?
Yes these are the ones I am talking about

IE if you had settings in basecamp of fastest route but on the zumo as curvy roads then it would route differently
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:06 pm
sussamb wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm Well that's strange but I guess possible. BaseCamp passes the various points to your Zumo, and on certain parts of a route you may find it occasionally makes changes but I've never known a device make the sort of changes you mention. I always load the trip into my GPS, then look at it in BC to ensure it still goes the way I want. If not I add more points.

I learned a long time ago about adding enough way points to get the gps to keep my desired route intact. I previewed the route on the 595 and sure enough, the route was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Not sure how to post a route here. Also not sure how it will help, the route shows up on the 595 as specified, the gps just won't follow it.
Well that's even stranger. Couple of points have already been mentioned but do you have traffic trends on that model? It can often give unexpected results.
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

the gps is not set on off road is it