Tether for motorcycle

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JeremyC
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Jun 2020 02:37
United States of America

Tether for motorcycle

Post by JeremyC »

Hi Guys

Does anyone use a tether for XT? Anyone had the unit fall out of the OEM mount?

Thanks.
XIKO29
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Jun 2020 11:16
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by XIKO29 »

JeremyC wrote:Hi Guys

Does anyone use a tether for XT? Anyone had the unit fall out of the OEM mount?

Thanks.
Never used.

Regarding the OEM mount, i didn't had any problems and last weeks i saw myself in big troubles with some falls on a terrible "road" full of loose rocks.

I saw on the Dutch Zumo group at Facebook some people that had problems with the mount and Garmin replaced it.
User avatar
simoncrewe
Posts: 167
Joined: 27 Sep 2019 15:45
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by simoncrewe »

JeremyC wrote: 13 Jun 2020 14:48 Hi Guys

Does anyone use a tether for XT? Anyone had the unit fall out of the OEM mount?

Thanks.
For piece of mind I do. I just stuck a self adhesive zip tie base to the back of the unit. Whilst on the face of it the mount looks a little flimsy, I have read good reports of it on other motorcycle forums, performing well in rough conditions.

When it becomes available at the end of the month, I will be investing in a Touratech mount, purely because it closes around the unit completely. It is such a shame there is no built in provision for a tether, like on my Montana, but then I suppose it is marketed as a road / adventure unit - not full blown off road.
JeremyC
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Jun 2020 02:37
United States of America

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by JeremyC »

Good idea on the zip tie mount. Thanks.
XIKO29
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Jun 2020 11:16
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by XIKO29 »

You don't have warranty? If so, contact Garmin about that.
If you paid for something, you have the right to receive the product in good conditions.

Obviously mistakes/factory defects can happen with any brand, and is the way they solve those problems which is more important. However, and if you have warranty, which is more than probably, you have the right to get a replacement. Is customer like you that the companies like.

Not only i already said that i've seen Dutch customers with the same problem and they received a new mount, but also i can't understand that "thing" of DIY instead of using the right to the warranty.

Sorry...
User avatar
simoncrewe
Posts: 167
Joined: 27 Sep 2019 15:45
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by simoncrewe »

XIKO29 wrote: 14 Jun 2020 13:03 You don't have warranty? If so, contact Garmin about that.
If you paid for something, you have the right to receive the product in good conditions.

Obviously mistakes/factory defects can happen with any brand, and is the way they solve those problems which is more important. However, and if you have warranty, which is more than probably, you have the right to get a replacement. Is customer like you that the companies like.

Not only i already said that i've seen Dutch customers with the same problem and they received a new mount, but also i can't understand that "thing" of DIY instead of using the right to the warranty.

Sorry...
I think you have misunderstood what we are discussing, we are not saying that the mount is faulty, we are saying that we do not feel confident of using it in an off road situation.
If you compare the XT mount to the rugged mount of the Montana / Monterra it is no way as robust & the XT has no provision to attach a tether.
This is not a warranty issue.
XIKO29
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Jun 2020 11:16
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by XIKO29 »

simoncrewe wrote: 14 Jun 2020 15:34 I think you have misunderstood what we are discussing, we are not saying that the mount is faulty, we are saying that we do not feel confident of using it in an off road situation.
If you compare the XT mount to the rugged mount of the Montana / Monterra it is no way as robust & the XT has no provision to attach a tether.
This is not a warranty issue.
Sorry for misunderstanding the issue. I was induced in error to the problem some dutch customers had and thought it was the same.

Regarding the Montana mount, i can't speak because i never had one but even with the XT mount not seeming too secure, it is more than i thought when i received the unit.

Here are 2 tests :lol: i made (the photo with the bike on the side stand was after falling down and being able to lift the bike again with a lot of effort).
By seeing the photos, you can't have the real notion how steep it was. And i only have 1,69mt :(

Yes, it was a real stupid thing but i didn't know where i was going to get; the beginning seems like a dirt track but good to ride with this kind of bike but when i realised, it was too late and i couldn't turn around. :x

The result was 4(!) falls and the XT has stayed securely everytime. Of course that in a crash, it much probably will fly, but the same happened with my Zumo 595LM which mount seemed more secure.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... hX6ZH6ml1B
User avatar
simoncrewe
Posts: 167
Joined: 27 Sep 2019 15:45
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by simoncrewe »

XIKO29 wrote: 14 Jun 2020 17:43
simoncrewe wrote: 14 Jun 2020 15:34 I think you have misunderstood what we are discussing, we are not saying that the mount is faulty, we are saying that we do not feel confident of using it in an off road situation.
If you compare the XT mount to the rugged mount of the Montana / Monterra it is no way as robust & the XT has no provision to attach a tether.
This is not a warranty issue.
Sorry for misunderstanding the issue. I was induced in error to the problem some dutch customers had and thought it was the same.

Regarding the Montana mount, i can't speak because i never had one but even with the XT mount not seeming too secure, it is more than i thought when i received the unit.

Here are 2 tests :lol: i made (the photo with the bike on the side stand was after falling down and being able to lift the bike again with a lot of effort).
By seeing the photos, you can't have the real notion how steep it was. And i only have 1,69mt :(

Yes, it was a real stupid thing but i didn't know where i was going to get; the beginning seems like a dirt track but good to ride with this kind of bike but when i realised, it was too late and i couldn't turn around. :x

The result was 4(!) falls and the XT has stayed securely everytime. Of course that in a crash, it much probably will fly, but the same happened with my Zumo 595LM which mount seemed more secure.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... hX6ZH6ml1B
Your tracks in Portugal look like a lot of fun!
XIKO29
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Jun 2020 11:16
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by XIKO29 »

simoncrewe wrote:
XIKO29 wrote: 14 Jun 2020 17:43
simoncrewe wrote: 14 Jun 2020 15:34 I think you have misunderstood what we are discussing, we are not saying that the mount is faulty, we are saying that we do not feel confident of using it in an off road situation.
If you compare the XT mount to the rugged mount of the Montana / Monterra it is no way as robust & the XT has no provision to attach a tether.
This is not a warranty issue.
Sorry for misunderstanding the issue. I was induced in error to the problem some dutch customers had and thought it was the same.

Regarding the Montana mount, i can't speak because i never had one but even with the XT mount not seeming too secure, it is more than i thought when i received the unit.

Here are 2 tests [emoji38] i made (the photo with the bike on the side stand was after falling down and being able to lift the bike again with a lot of effort).
By seeing the photos, you can't have the real notion how steep it was. And i only have 1,69mt :(

Yes, it was a real stupid thing but i didn't know where i was going to get; the beginning seems like a dirt track but good to ride with this kind of bike but when i realised, it was too late and i couldn't turn around. :x

The result was 4(!) falls and the XT has stayed securely everytime. Of course that in a crash, it much probably will fly, but the same happened with my Zumo 595LM which mount seemed more secure.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... hX6ZH6ml1B
Your tracks in Portugal look like a lot of fun!
When the dealer send me the bill, that's when i will see if your right or not [emoji38]

But yes, in Portugal there are many beautiful places for riding, on and off-road, even being a small country. [emoji846]
Skipper
Posts: 27
Joined: 28 May 2018 07:20
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Sweden

Re: Tether for motorcycle

Post by Skipper »

I have installed a Zumolock which mounts between the GPS-holder and the Ram-mount.

This is mainly to protect it from the *spur of the moment' thief but also keep it safe
from any accidental release of the holding mechansim.

Check it out on 'zumolock.com'

I am very happy with it.
2010 Vulcan 1700 CT (Nomad)
RV Kabe Travelmaster 880 LT Royal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest