Only 1024 songs

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: Only 1024 songs

Post by cr0100 »

I just got a firmware update yesterday and decided to see if the limit has changed - it has not.
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

cr0100 wrote:I just got a firmware update yesterday and decided to see if the limit has changed - it has not.
With the 2.70 update they increased the compatibility for microsd cards to 256GB but kept the 1024 mp3 files limit.

This situation and others are making me thinking that they will release a new unit in less than one year with all the features people been asking...
sd129
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by sd129 »

Hit the same limitation today, then found this topic. :o

I can't imagine what would possess Garmin to think that restricting a music collection to 1024 songs would be a good idea, in this day and age when many people have multiple thousands of tracks and may want to take a good selection with them (you don't always know in advance what you might want to listen to on a long trip). With a 64GB card (or a 256GB one if that's now supported) you could potentially have a huge selection, and I guess you still could so long as you don't mind only being able to listen to 1024 of them!

The number 1024 is also a bit odd. It does look suspiciously binary, but it's not a round number in terms of data types - 1 byte has 256 possible values and a 2-byte type has over 65000. 1024 would actually use 1 byte and 3 bits (11 bits), and I'm not aware of a variable of that size (you could have one that size I guess with unusual hardware, or they could be using a larger type where some of the bits are reserved as flags, but both seem unlikely).

I assume the limitation is being applied when the XT is building an index of your MP3s, and it sounds to me like it's most likely a purely arbitrary value, possibly to avoid the index files getting too big or taking too long to search, but I'd guess many people would trade slightly slower performance and some more storage space being used in order to be able to play a lot more songs.

I've emailed Garmin UK to add my voice to those complaining about this, in case the number of complaints does turn out to be a factor in getting something done, so we'll see what they have to say.
Seldano
Germany

Post by Seldano »

I just had a live chat with someone in support who basically linked to some completely wrong document telling me that the XT, 595 and 660 all only read 1000 songs and always have. I've just thrown my old sd in my 660 and it's showing 6287 songs on the play all list. Now granted, it took a fair while to load them, but Garmin trying to gaslight me and saying it never happened that way has p*ssed me right off
XIKO29
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

Keep in mind this:

Now Garmin only changes things or add features that we had on 595LM with Smartphone Link app (possibility to choose which apps we want to receive notifications from), if everyone asks for it!

I ask by Play Store, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter everything i think they, ridiculously, not included on the XT, like i also ask what other people want even not interesting me.

Is up to us to pressing Garmin and to help each other!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

XIKO29 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:30 pm Keep in mind this:

Now Garmin only changes things or add features that we had on 595LM with Smartphone Link app (possibility to choose which apps we want to receive notifications from), if everyone asks for it!

I ask by Play Store, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter everything i think they, ridiculously, not included on the XT, like i also ask what other people want even not interesting me.

I would like to see Garmin make all the apps I don't use un-istallable. Let's start with LiveTrack, Pandora, Spotify, Smart Notifications, Smartphone Link, BlueTooth and Foursquare. I have no use for this crap, let me get rid of it!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
XIKO29
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

rbentnail wrote:
XIKO29 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:30 pm Keep in mind this:

I would like to see Garmin make all the apps I don't use un-istallable. Let's start with LiveTrack, Pandora, Spotify, Smart Notifications, Smartphone Link, BlueTooth and Foursquare. I have no use for this crap, let me get rid of it!
So it only matters is you. OK...

Also, this thread is about the XT which doesn't have Live Track, Pandora, Spotify.
And Smartphone Link is for older devices, not for the XT.

And a GPS unit without bluetooth...

Chabon
United States of America

Post by Chabon »

Version 2.8
File Size: 64 MB

Increased the maximum number of Mp3 files to 5000
Added a setting to control audible reduced speed limit alerts
Resolved miscellaneous issues
XIKO29
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

Chabon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:56 am Version 2.8
File Size: 64 MB

Increased the maximum number of Mp3 files to 5000
Added a setting to control audible reduced speed limit alerts
Resolved miscellaneous issues
Yes, i updated yesterday.

Now is waiting for the app update in order to let us choose which apps we want to receive notifications from.
d127fatcat
United States of America

Post by d127fatcat »

Has the number of songs really changed after the update ?