Unlocking Maps after transfer to new computer

Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Unlocking Maps after transfer to new computer

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Garmin hit one out of the park today.

I just got a new computer (PC). I transferred all of my map sets onto it, some 71Gb. Save for the latest two map sets, all the map sets were locked. I seem to recall that this happened the last time I bought a new computer, which would have been 5 or 6 years ago. At that time unlocking them wasn't a problem, as you could get the unlock code from the on-line wizard-thing.

The online wizard-thing is no more. In its place, they suggest that you "contact Product Support as we may be able to assist." It may take 3-5 days to get a response.

Oh no!

Ya gotta understand, I'm just not a fan of the typical GPS Tinkers-to-Evers-to-Chance routine where you load yer junk into one program, convert it to another format, send it off to Battle Creek, MI with six Cap'n Crunch box tops, download it, convert it to another file type, then import it. Especially with a couple of dozen map sets and 70Gb worth of files. I like simple. I'm lazy. Don't give me some open source weird shit program to do something that ought to be easy. My geek don't go that way.

Intrepid trooper that I am, I sent off an e-mail at 15:36 with a heavy heart just knowing that I would never get to use the lovely and delicate flower that CNNA 2011.1 is. Sad. At 14:56 I got a response from Stephen saying that he would have to build a .gma file for me and would need my 660's serial number. I responded with that at 17:09. At 17:43 I received an e-mail containing my .gma file and instructions on how to use it. Two minutes later all of my old map sets were unlocked.

That was awesome! Thank you Stephen, wherever you are!
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Unlocking Maps after transfer to new computer

Post by sussamb »

For future use, Google JaVaWa GMTK program, that will transfer maps from one PC to another as well as doing other clever things. That and his Device Manager program should be in everyone's tool box if you own a Garmin product.

P.S. love the way Garmin sent you a reply before you'd even asked ;)
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by khunpaul »

I recently changed pc, installed basecamp (4.6) and copied map 2020.3 from a backup.
I expected to have to use Javawa as in past but no, map was recognised and unlocked. It’s about the only thing that has gone right in the whole pc changeover.
The only thing that’s different in basecamp is not allowing me to sign in with MyGarmin login; but who cares - as long as Birdseye still allows new maps in future. I read somewhere that this is common.
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:42 am For future use...
I reviewed JaVaWa GMTK. That is exactly the sort of thing that I don't want to have to hassle with. I honestly don't want to go that deep into the special tools realm.

p.s. Glad to hear, by implication, that you have never made a typo. So good of you to point it out. ;)
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hardly a hassle, it does it all for you. Save maps to a stick on old PC and restore on a new one, no different to what you did when you copied maps across except it does it properly and you didn't ;)
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:12 pm ...no different to what you did when you copied maps across except it does it properly and you didn't ;)
I transferred the stuff over the way I had done in the past, expecting to be able to turn the maps on with ease. That turned out not to be the case, but it all worked out well in the end. I made clear in my original post that I have an aversion to diddling with extraneous programs. Having played with Garmin products since the mid '90s and having had my fill of GPS utilities, I know they are not my cup of tea.

I chose to make a post sharing that and expressing some delight with my interaction with Garmin and the solution that was given to me.

You've chosen to miss that message and, seemingly driven by a need to be right, turned that all sour with snark and ad hominem.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hardly, just trying to help others in future from making the mistakes you did, and suggesting a couple of programs all may benefit from :D